Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Model 3 Performance Waiting Room

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I’ve been watching you all go through the highs and lows of waiting since I ordered my M3P White/Black on June 21st. It’s been very informative and has helped with the angst. My EDD only changed twice before I got my 2 week EDD on Monday and then my VIN assignment on Wednesday. I’m scheduled to take delivery on Sunday at noon

I’m a little concerned that this might be a rejected vehicle because the VIN is 325xxx and I’m seeing VINs that are 328, 329 and 330 that were assigned a few days before mine was. Will they disclose if the vehicle has been rejected previously if asked? I do have an inspection check list and time so I guess I will need to do a very close inspection. Is this something to be concerned about?
I’ve been watching you all go through the highs and lows of waiting since I ordered my M3P White/Black on June 21st. It’s been very informative and has helped with the angst. My EDD only changed twice before I got my 2 week EDD on Monday and then my VIN assignment on Wednesday. I’m scheduled to take delivery on Sunday at noon

I’m a little concerned that this might be a rejected vehicle because the VIN is 325xxx and I’m seeing VINs that are 328, 329 and 330 that were assigned a few days before mine was. Will they disclose if the vehicle has been rejected previously if asked? I do have an inspection check list and time so I guess I will need to do a very close inspection. Is this something to be concerned about?
If it helps at all I saw a bunch or cars getting prepped for delivery when I was at the factory. I didn’t know where my car was located and wanted to find it to look as much as possible before signing as I was told I had to sign before inspection. Anyway as I walked through the sea of vehicles looking for my vin I noticed a lot of vins in the 32k spectrum. I did not see any 33k vins. I did see a 31k vin. But I was only looking for white cars. I’m not sure what the other colors were sporting. Call and ask when the car was built. They can at least give you the month. And since we are so close to the start
Of august I’m pretty sure it will be a fresh car.

Lots of reasons this can happen, too many to list here:
  • Someone's financing fell through (rising interest rates, trade in appraisal is lower, etc)
  • Someone was out of town and couldn't take delivery
  • Someone flinched or changed their mind, happens a lot and not just with Tesla cars
  • VIN is created during build, but sometimes parts on a car are found bad during testing while on the assembly line. For example, the touchscreen could have been bad and so the car gets set aside and later sent to a different department to replace whatever bad module so that it doesn't hold up the entire line and that can cause an 'old' VIN to get stuck in the backlog while they fix it for you
  • ...and yes, possible that some fascist saw a gap that was 1/16th of an inch off and a small rock chip on the hood and noped out
To give yourself peace of mind, there are tons of checklists out there for what to look for at delivery. If you go through that whole checklist with your car and don't find anything that bothers you and the car's odometer has less than ~20 miles then you're good to go. Don't get anxiety over "well what did someone else see that I don't see" because those online checklists are often SUPER thorough and don't 'miss' anything.

Not trying to downplay people who truly had build quality issues at delivery and yes, errors can and do happen in mass production (read up on Six Sigma if you'd like to see how difficult mass production at scale can be), but people passing for cosmetic reasons is more rare than the internet leads you to think and many in the Tesla community have psyched themselves out on this and tend to make a much bigger deal about this issue than others. Tesla delivers roughly the same number of cars that they produce every day (almost 3,000 3s and Ys a day) so ~100% of cars are ultimately accepted by a buyer.

Go through your checklist at delivery and do your proper diligence in the lot before accepting, then enjoy your car and don't let overthinking ruin it for you.

Fourth update to EDD is here! Down to a 13 day window from 14 days! Though start day shifted back 1 day… For those curious, my order journey has been as follows:

OD: 06/27
Color: White/White
Region: Washington DC

EDDs:
1. Jun 28: Aug 26 - Sep 30
2. Jul 30: Aug 21 - Sep 17
3. Aug 05: Aug 25 - Sep 08
4. Aug 12: Aug 26 - Sep 08

Pretty standard automatic system generated EDD updates (imo)

Hi DNSTommy,

Well said, I couldn't agree with you more. I've come to realize after rejecting 3 Model 3 Performance but seeing some here receive perfect ones that its shear luck that all the stars aligned in Fremont when a Tesla rolls out without issues. They clearly have no final checks in place. I remember posting a link to the Tesla career page here a couple months ago showing their QC position and it only required a HS diploma and paid like $15-17 an hour😳

On another note......everybody SIT DOWN!!, I accepted Model 3 Performance number 4 todayView attachment 839455. They replace the carbon rear spoiler in a couple weeks, and I'm inclined to leave the small paint bump alone so it doesn't possibly open up a BIG can of worms....meaning repainting the door.
Think it depends on the service center. The only defect in my 2020 M3P was a paint blotch right on the hood. They pointed it out even before I noticed it and said they already had a new hood on order. 2 weeks later they installed a new and freshly painted hood.

I just got a call from the delivery center and they indicated that my M3P has manufacture date of 8/7 so that is a relief. It’s at the center and if I was in California I could pick it up today. I’m hoping that it’s good to go. I have an appointment on Wednesday morning to get it tinted and wrapped.

Thanks for the advice and I will post how delivery goes.

vroom the lowest so far at $42,373
Let see what Tesla do, i am trying trade in 2021 SR with 4000 miles to the new 2022 I ordered, TESLA Give me $40,500 a slap in the face (they basically said don't want their own car back and their car worth shxt), Driveway and Algo gave $52000 and Carmax last weekend give me $47000, Carvana gave $46500 beside trading in with Tesla that I will save on Sales Tax Credit, nothing else is good when they give $11k under, what a slap in the face for Tesla.

Let see what Tesla do, i am trying trade in 2021 SR with 4000 miles to the new 2022 I ordered, TESLA Give me $40,500 a slap in the face (they basically said don't want their own car back and their car worth shxt), Driveway and Algo gave $52000 and Carmax last weekend give me $47000, Carvana gave $46500 beside trading in with Tesla that I will save on Sales Tax Credit, nothing else is good when they give $11k under, what a slap in the face for Tesla.
agreed, especially when my trade-in value was $48,000 when it expired in the app on 8/4; i sent my SA my 2 trade-ins and she said she would talk to the trade-in team