Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Model 3 Performance Waiting Room

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Just did some sleuthing using the reddit dataset for USA model 3 orders in 2021 and 2022. Some interesting takeaways:
  1. About half of all Performance VIN's are assigned on Tuesday (35%) and Wednesday (20%), with most of the remaining assignments happening during the week. The weekends account for 28% of a week, but only 13% of all VIN's. This looks to me like a gaussian distribution. If I had to guess, I would surmise that this reflects that Performance trims are built in a limited number of batches.
  2. Non-Performance VIN's are assigned pretty much uniformly throughout a week. I suspect there is some unknown mechanic that ties the lower number of Sunday VIN's and the higher number of Monday VIN's together (possibly staffing or shipping logistics).

Attachments

• Performance Trim Days.png
    Performance Trim Days.png
    23.4 KB · Views: 92
  • Non Performance VIN days.png
    Non Performance VIN days.png
    23.2 KB · Views: 77
Just put in an order last week and very excited for my first Tesla.

OD: 08/08
Color: White/White
Region: Washington, DC
EDD: Oct 18 - Nov 29

I know it’s only been a week, but it’s difficult to not check the app multiple times per day. 😂
No matter how those dates move in the future, You are going to get your car around Oct 20th. So just ignore those numbers and wait for the VIN. Its hard I know, but the stress of EDD watching is way worse :)

Reactions: bossra95
Just did some sleuthing using the reddit dataset for USA model 3 orders in 2021 and 2022. Some interesting takeaways:
  1. About half of all Performance VIN's are assigned on Tuesday (35%) and Wednesday (20%), with most of the remaining assignments happening during the week. The weekends account for 28% of a week, but only 13% of all VIN's. This looks to me like a gaussian distribution. If I had to guess, I would surmise that this reflects that Performance trims are built in a limited number of batches.
  2. Non-Performance VIN's are assigned pretty much uniformly throughout a week. I suspect there is some unknown mechanic that ties the lower number of Sunday VIN's and the higher number of Monday VIN's together (possibly staffing or shipping logistics).

Very interesting info astroneer, thanks for sharing! I worked in 'vehicle operations' for two separate major automakers for a total of 18 years. As one might imagine, there are hundreds of parameters that go into determining the optimal vehicle sequencing.

How much information is contained in that reddit dataset? Are interior / exterior colors included? What is the definition of VIN 'assignment' in the context of the data? Does that mean MCO creation date? Start or end of production?

Selfishly, vehicles built on a Wednesday have the best quality while those built on Monday / Friday suck. Definitely a normal distribution with Wednesday at the Median. I will be happy if my M3P VIN is assigned on a Tuesday and built on a Wednesday lol.

Very interesting info astroneer, thanks for sharing! I worked in 'vehicle operations' for two separate major automakers for a total of 18 years. As one might imagine, there are hundreds of parameters that go into determining the optimal vehicle sequencing.

How much information is contained in that reddit dataset? Are interior / exterior colors included? What is the definition of VIN 'assignment' in the context of the data? Does that mean MCO creation date? Start or end of production?

Selfishly, vehicles built on a Wednesday have the best quality while those built on Monday / Friday suck. Definitely a normal distribution with Wednesday at the Median. I will be happy if my M3P VIN is assigned on a Tuesday and built on a Wednesday lol.
Hello nharwood!

You can find the full reddit dataset here. I recommend copying it into an excel file since the google drive version can't easily be messed with. The dataset contains all possible parameters (color, trim, order date, location, etc). I'm hesitant to derive much results from color / interior trim data due to small sample sizes.

VIN assignment in this case is when the orderer self-reported that they were assigned a VIN (the method is recorded in the sheet). Delivery is tracked separately.

Reactions: nharwood
Hello nharwood!

You can find the full reddit dataset here. I recommend copying it into an excel file since the google drive version can't easily be messed with. The dataset contains all possible parameters (color, trim, order date, location, etc). I'm hesitant to derive much results from color / interior trim data due to small sample sizes.

VIN assignment in this case is when the orderer self-reported that they were assigned a VIN (the method is recorded in the sheet). Delivery is tracked separately.
It's also --> here <-- on TMC. I noticed it looked familiar, then scrolled down and saw my username haha. I wonder where it showed up first...

Reactions: nharwood
Anyone familiar with Solar gard vortex IR ceramic window tint? Is it any good? I’m having a hard time finding Xpel or 3m tint. Found solar gard place and suntek brand ceramic tint.
Yeah I have it on my car. It’s actually part of the same company as Saint Gobain which if I’m not mistaken , is the manufacturer of the glass on our cars? Anyway I have 15% on side 25% on back in 1 full piece. I’m very happy with it

Attachments

• 0839C3A5-12C9-4E52-A688-335A983CD24B.jpeg
    0839C3A5-12C9-4E52-A688-335A983CD24B.jpeg
    561.5 KB · Views: 69
  • 687ED280-A285-4832-98A1-DACA47E174EA.jpeg
    687ED280-A285-4832-98A1-DACA47E174EA.jpeg
    807.7 KB · Views: 67
I'm planning to pay cash and I will either pay the full amount or the amount after trade in of my 2019 M3P if they give me a decent offer. Do they accept final payment via plaid the day of delivery? or would I have to do that a few days before? I'd prefer not to give them the payment until I see that the car looks acceptable.

I'm planning to pay cash and I will either pay the full amount or the amount after trade in of my 2019 M3P if they give me a decent offer. Do they accept final payment via plaid the day of delivery? or would I have to do that a few days before? I'd prefer not to give them the payment until I see that the car looks acceptable.
You can pay day of but it seems to be most common that they won’t let you see the inside of the car until the transaction is settled and you accept delivery.