Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Model 3 Performance Waiting Room

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Should come out great. I have considered that since my current wrap has small nicks/chips from freeway travel. Not too noticeable but annoying. Guessing the ceramic coating will protect against the chips/nicks ?
As far as I understand, the main benefits are protection from UV & chemical damage, and the hydrophobic properties that keep things from sticking. It should improve the durability somewhat, but mostly through those effects. I don't think it provides much protection from direct mechanical damage like rock chips. (Maybe a bit, but probably not much.) It fills in the rough microstructure of the surface with ceramic nanoparticles to produce a much smoother surface at the microscopic level. It increases the gloss too. So on an already-glossy wrap, it would be extra-shiny. It reduces the satin or matte look a bit on those kinds of wraps, but when I looked at a side-by-side comparison in the shop I went to, I had to look closely to spot the difference.

I'm on the fence about whether to add the ceramic coat if I go for the PPF instead of the vinyl wrap. I've seen mixed reviews on whether it interferes with the self-healing properties of the PPF. It seems to depend on which ceramic you use with which PPF. I'd hate to spend an extra $1k and have it turn out to be counterproductive.

Reactions: cheqsgravity
As far as I understand, the main benefits are protection from UV & chemical damage, and the hydrophobic properties that keep things from sticking. It should improve the durability somewhat, but mostly through those effects. I don't think it provides much protection from direct mechanical damage like rock chips. (Maybe a bit, but probably not much.) It fills in the rough microstructure of the surface with ceramic nanoparticles to produce a much smoother surface at the microscopic level. It increases the gloss too. So on an already-glossy wrap, it would be extra-shiny. It reduces the satin or matte look a bit on those kinds of wraps, but when I looked at a side-by-side comparison in the shop I went to, I had to look closely to spot the difference.

I'm on the fence about whether to add the ceramic coat if I go for the PPF instead of the vinyl wrap. I've seen mixed reviews on whether it interferes with the self-healing properties of the PPF. It seems to depend on which ceramic you use with which PPF. I'd hate to spend an extra $1k and have it turn out to be counterproductive.
I think the Ceramic coat on top of the full PPF wrap would be overkill. Also, right about no "direct mechanical damage" prevention from Ceramic Coating...it's just a chemical bonding thing as you describe.

I got the full glossy(or standard clear) PPF wrap done over the whole car. Then I use Griot's Garage Best of Show Spray wax, and alternate with Griot's Garage Ceramic 3-in-1 spray wax. It has that "wet" look to it which was my preference. I recommend you save yourself the $1K on the Ceramic and just apply a good detail company product on occasion. I commute 65 miles a day and end up washing the car every 2-3 weeks. Use a California Duster and Spray Detailer or Spray wax for quick cleanups.

I guess we won’t get the end of the story?
😁
So, in the crunch of my EDD going from Dec/Jan as of Friday morning to "You have 3 days to finalize everything and pick up your car", I did end up financing and insuring through Tesla so I could get everything done and pick up Sunday. Likely not possible otherwise to get all that done on a Friday afternoon.
Insurance was quite a bit less than if I stayed with State Farm and I will refinance with my CU to get the better interest rate.

Picked up the car at the SC on Sunday. Only about 30 min from my house. Pretty uneventful. I didn't even really have to interact with anyone. I only went inside because I assumed there was something I had to do or sign. But they just said I was texted the parking spot of my car and could take and accept delivery using my phone.
Went over and inspected the car. All looked good inside and out. No obvious issues. Figured I won't be driving it much until I get my PPF and tint in a couple weeks so figured I had some time to do a more thorough check at home. Happy with the color/interior choice for me. (black/white). No regrets so far.

I'd been driving a 992S I rented on Turo the last several days prior. That's what happens when you go on Turo to find a Model 3 to test out and discover they also have OTHER cars. Was already going to be off work a few days so I rented the Porsche and was in the middle of that (and an unexpected illness) when i got the text that my car was ready!

Blessing in disguise. I was able to drive the 992S and Model 3P back to back for a few days.
I would say they are a push when it comes to acceleration. Model 3P did feel a bit quicker because of the instant torque and so much smoother.
911 just sounded better and handles like a 911. But the new turbo 911s do still have a bit of turbo lag even in sport and sport plus but from 0 - 60 they are dead even I think.

A couple early impressions:
- Loving the phone key thing. You can get in and out and never have to worry about fumbling with keys or locking/unlocking your doors. Just jump in and go. And if you were listening to music, it stays on and gradually fades out as you exit the car. Pretty cool.
- Ability to cool the car down from 110 to 70 in just a couple minutes from my phone before getting in is huge.
- Took all of two minutes to get used to the regenerative breaking. Did not touch my breaks the entire 30 min drive home from SC. No joke.
- Bang and Olufsen in my outgoing Audi S5 is pretty good but I think the Model 3P system is better. Bigger tighter base.
And way better than the BOSE system in the 992. Not even close and haven't touched any settings yet.
- Front parking sensors were another nice surprise. It actually gives you distance from objects all the way around the front of the car real time in inches!

That's all I've had time for but all good so far.

So just be warned. If you are past 8 weeks from order date, if your EDD inexplicably pushes out a few months for no reason, that might just mean that a VIN is imminent!

😁
So, in the crunch of my EDD going from Dec/Jan as of Friday morning to "You have 3 days to finalize everything and pick up your car", I did end up financing and insuring through Tesla so I could get everything done and pick up Sunday. Likely not possible otherwise to get all that done on a Friday afternoon.
Insurance was quite a bit less than if I stayed with State Farm and I will refinance with my CU to get the better interest rate.

Picked up the car at the SC on Sunday. Only about 30 min from my house. Pretty uneventful. I didn't even really have to interact with anyone. I only went inside because I assumed there was something I had to do or sign. But they just said I was texted the parking spot of my car and could take and accept delivery using my phone.
Went over and inspected the car. All looked good inside and out. No obvious issues. Figured I won't be driving it much until I get my PPF and tint in a couple weeks so figured I had some time to do a more thorough check at home. Happy with the color/interior choice for me. (black/white). No regrets so far.

I'd been driving a 992S I rented on Turo the last several days prior. That's what happens when you go on Turo to find a Model 3 to test out and discover they also have OTHER cars. Was already going to be off work a few days so I rented the Porsche and was in the middle of that (and an unexpected illness) when i got the text that my car was ready!

Blessing in disguise. I was able to drive the 992S and Model 3P back to back for a few days.
I would say they are a push when it comes to acceleration. Model 3P did feel a bit quicker because of the instant torque and so much smoother.
911 just sounded better and handles like a 911. But the new turbo 911s do still have a bit of turbo lag even in sport and sport plus but from 0 - 60 they are dead even I think.

A couple early impressions:
- Loving the phone key thing. You can get in and out and never have to worry about fumbling with keys or locking/unlocking your doors. Just jump in and go. And if you were listening to music, it stays on and gradually fades out as you exit the car. Pretty cool.
- Ability to cool the car down from 110 to 70 in just a couple minutes from my phone before getting in is huge.
- Took all of two minutes to get used to the regenerative breaking. Did not touch my breaks the entire 30 min drive home from SC. No joke.
- Bang and Olufsen in my outgoing Audi S5 is pretty good but I think the Model 3P system is better. Bigger tighter base.
And way better than the BOSE system in the 992. Not even close and haven't touched any settings yet.
- Front parking sensors were another nice surprise. It actually gives you distance from objects all the way around the front of the car real time in inches!

That's all I've had time for but all good so far.

So just be warned. If you are past 8 weeks from order date, if your EDD inexplicably pushes out a few months for no reason, that might just mean that a VIN is imminent!
Congrats! I'm glad to hear it worked out for you, and that you're enjoying the car! You said you didn't really have to interact with anyone, but did someone at least hand you the card keys? My phone is getting kind of senile, and I'm wondering if I'll need to get a new one to reliably use it as the key. So it would be great to have the card keys right away.
Hopefully this is the case for @Kyzr.

Reactions: julit0 and Kyzr
Ordered mine two days after you and I’m in West Palm Beach. My EDD still has 10/12 - 11/16 so wondering if it’ll stay there are move at all in the next few days.
Fort Laud here, also ordered first week of Aug. I have same EDD as you. Curious to see how it plays out.

Would love to wake up and see Alkors range update on my own phone. I'm checking everyday.

Reactions: Alkor and julit0
I think the Ceramic coat on top of the full PPF wrap would be overkill. Also, right about no "direct mechanical damage" prevention from Ceramic Coating...it's just a chemical bonding thing as you describe.

I got the full glossy(or standard clear) PPF wrap done over the whole car. Then I use Griot's Garage Best of Show Spray wax, and alternate with Griot's Garage Ceramic 3-in-1 spray wax. It has that "wet" look to it which was my preference. I recommend you save yourself the $1K on the Ceramic and just apply a good detail company product on occasion. I commute 65 miles a day and end up washing the car every 2-3 weeks. Use a California Duster and Spray Detailer or Spray wax for quick cleanups.
Maybe I'll hold off on the ceramic for a while, then (assuming I go with the PPF instead of the vinyl wrap). I'm a bit concerned about it getting discolored from UV damage and degraded by bird *sugar* over time, though. If I had a garage, I'd definitely consider the ceramic overkill on top of the PPF, but since I don't, the car will be out in the sun all the time.

Congrats! I'm glad to hear it worked out for you, and that you're enjoying the car! You said you didn't really have to interact with anyone, but did someone at least hand you the card keys? My phone is getting kind of senile, and I'm wondering if I'll need to get a new one to reliably use it as the key. So it would be great to have the card keys right away.

Hopefully this is the case for @Kyzr.
For me, they put the key cards in the center console. Not sure if the car was already unlocked before I accepted delivery with my phone. But might want to touch base with your SC if you have a concern with your phone not working when you pick up.

Reactions: LorentzTorque
I liked this guy’s video on ppf and ceramic coatings. It convinced me to do both for my car.