Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Model 3 Performance Waiting Room

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
A guy from Tesla reached out today about updating my trade-in estimate. Now it looks like my delivery tasks are "incomplete" again while my trade-in offer is pending. Does anyone know if this will affect whether I get a VIN soon or not? I had it marked as "no trade in" until this guy called, although I had obtained a preliminary offer when I first ordered the M3P. I'm wondering if I should just switch it back to "no trade in," since there's a good chance I'll just end up selling it through something like Vroom or Carvana anyway.

Reactions: bossra95
A guy from Tesla reached out today about updating my trade-in estimate. Now it looks like my delivery tasks are "incomplete" again while my trade-in offer is pending. Does anyone know if this will affect whether I get a VIN soon or not? I had it marked as "no trade in" until this guy called, although I had obtained a preliminary offer when I first ordered the M3P. I'm wondering if I should just switch it back to "no trade in," since there's a good chance I'll just end up selling it through something like Vroom or Carvana anyway.
Yeah I would say just get it updated to no trade in, I would look at CarMax, CarGurus and the 2 you mentioned, even some local dealers to see the best deal you can get for selling your car

Reactions: LorentzTorque
Yeah I would say just get it updated to no trade in, I would look at CarMax, CarGurus and the 2 you mentioned, even some local dealers to see the best deal you can get for selling your car
The offer just came back. It's too low, I'm rejecting it. The offers from the other places have fallen too, but private-party prices are looking higher (it's a 2018 Mazda3 in pretty good condition) so I might even go that route. The gap between the two price ranges is ridiculous, even if you account for some haggling.

Edit: Between Tesla, Vroom, Carvana, CarMax, and CarGurus, the highest offer came from CarMax (by about $1k). No idea how that would translate to anyone else's trade-ins, but I thought it was interesting because the other four were all within a few hundred of each other. The highest offer came from Vroom a month or two ago.

Last edited:
Reactions: bossra95
The offer just came back. It's too low, I'm rejecting it. The offers from the other places have fallen too, but private-party prices are looking higher (it's a 2018 Mazda3 in pretty good condition) so I might even go that route. The gap between the two price ranges is ridiculous, even if you account for some haggling.

Edit: Between Tesla, Vroom, Carvana, CarMax, and CarGurus, the highest offer came from CarMax (by about $1k). No idea how that would translate to anyone else's trade-ins, but I thought it was interesting because the other four were all within a few hundred of each other. The highest offer came from Vroom a month or two ago.
I just sold my 2018 audi s5 to my local ford dealership for 2.5k more than what CarMax offered me and $600 more than what carvana offered me. He basically took carvanas offer and added $600.. I was fine with that.

My highest offer came from WeBuyAnyCar.com

• Informative
Reactions: LorentzTorque
Picked up the car today. Fit and finish was great except hood alignment. See pics. Service appointment for repair being filed now. Back seat was not completely secured. Bottom corner was out but easy fix to get it back into place. Car had under 2 miles on it. (3KM actually) Vehicle was unlocked when I arrived for inspection. SA gave me key cards before I even accepted delivery. Drove it 12 miles to get PPF film installed and noticed a paint chip in the rocker panel. This happened from the drive. Thin soft paint apparently. I would recommend PPF right away ! Nice ride. Very quiet. The white on the door handles some of you were asking about is a protective film

Attachments

• Car.jpg
    Car.jpg
    323.6 KB · Views: 82
  • Hood Full.jpg
    Hood Full.jpg
    236.7 KB · Views: 66
  • Hood Right.jpg
    Hood Right.jpg
    234.3 KB · Views: 62
  • Hood Left.jpg
    Hood Left.jpg
    247.5 KB · Views: 75

I hope everyone is taking into consideration tax credit (if your state doesn’t have a max) for these trade values.

Picked up the car today. Fit and finish was great except hood alignment. See pics. Service appointment for repair being filed now. Back seat was not completely secured. Bottom corner was out but easy fix to get it back into place. Car had under 2 miles on it. (3KM actually) Vehicle was unlocked when I arrived for inspection. SA gave me key cards before I even accepted delivery. Drove it 12 miles to get PPF film installed and noticed a paint chip in the rocker panel. This happened from the drive. Thin soft paint apparently. I would recommend PPF right away ! Nice ride. Very quiet. The white on the door handles some of you were asking about is a protective film
Looks great!

Congrats! It looks outstanding.

Reactions: NOVA-MYP
If my EDD is Early Oct to Early Nov.. Is it a good idea to apply for finance now since it last 60 days? Just don’t want to have another hard pull later on incase if they push it back again.
Normally, the best practice would be to wait until you get the VIN. Rising interest rates complicate the decision, though. I decided to apply for financing when I was 7 weeks into my wait. To me, this seemed like a safe balance between the risk of rising rates and the risk of a potential second hard inquiry. The rate I got is 0.25% higher than it would have been when I first ordered the car, but I've just passed the 60 day mark, so I would have to reapply if I had applied too soon. The risk of going 60 days past the 7 week mark seems low, though. I know it happens (e.g. to Flatbroke and Heymon123), but it doesn't seem very common.

Since you're in the Bay Area, there's a decent chance that you'd get an EOQ delivery. There are plenty of exceptions, but in your case I would think of a late December delivery as the worst-case scenario that has any reasonable likelihood of occurring. I hope you get it sooner, though! We do have the same config, so maybe we'll both be in the same batch at the end of this quarter. 🤞

Last edited:
Normally, the best practice would be to wait until you get the VIN. Rising interest rates complicate the decision, though. I decided to apply for financing when I was 7 weeks into my wait. To me, this seemed like a safe balance between the risk of rising rates and the risk of a potential second hard inquiry. The rate I got is 0.25% higher than it would have been when I first ordered the car, but I've just passed the 60 day mark, so I would have to reapply if I had applied too soon. The risk of going 60 days past the 7 week mark seems low, though. I know it happens (e.g. to Flatbroke and Heymon123), but it doesn't seem very common.

Since you're in the Bay Area, there's a decent chance that you'd get an EOQ delivery. There are plenty of exceptions, but in your case I would think of a late December delivery as the worst-case scenario that has any reasonable likelihood of occurring. I hope you get it sooner, though! We do have the same config, so maybe we'll both be in the same batch at the end of this quarter. 🤞
Thanks for your thoughtful insight! I kind of doubt I would get another for Q3 honestly, I feel like I have better change for mid Oct to late October.. I wonder if anyone in the Bay Area been pushed back multiple times for their M3P as I know MYLR been pushed back in the past..