Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Model 3 Performance - without performance pack vs with performance pack

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
So my main issue with Tesla is that when I ordered my Model 3 in June I was under the impression from the website and all the pictures and reviews of the performance model that it came WITH the performance pack as standard! So when I got my quote from Pink Leasing the alloy wheels were listed as a non cost option. THEN when i placed my order with them about a week later I assumed that was still the case and so only specified White paint and White interior as extras.

Then when my tesla order confirmation came through I was shocked to see it with aero wheels. I kicked up a massive fuss with Tesla and showed them that the website itself listed the Performance Spec as coming with 20" alloy wheels. Anyway to cut a long story short Tesla admitted it was an error and they need to change that and then promptly changed the whole configurator and price structure the next day so that the Performance came with Performance Pack as standard and White NOT black was the default no cost colour.

The issue this caused for me was that Pink said IF Tesla changed my order to include the Performance Pack now and remove the extra cost I was paying for the white exterior - the would have to requote and the new quotes were coming out over £100/month more because the new pricing and spec had reduced residuals meaning lease costs are higher.

SO I ENDED UP LEAVING MY ORDER AS IS. PERFORMANCE MODEL WITH NO PERFORMANCE PACK.

Can I ask - without causing a big row - the advantages and disadvantages of having or not having the performance pack?

THANKS.

Seems like for day to day use, the performance pack is mostly aesthetics. Take out the performance pack and you’ll get better range and a more comfortable ride.

That said, if you plan to take it to a track you might want the better brakes, lowered ride, higher top speed etc.

It’s possible the residual value of the P- (performance with no pack) will be negatively affected given the recent price re-structure, as most folk who ordered P- are upgrading because the cost difference is tiny. Most people prefer the look of the larger wheels, despite their downsides.

I’ve stick with my P- as I actively didn’t want any of the stuff from the performance pack, but I think I’m in a rare breed!

Reactions: GrumpyManUK
The issue this caused for me was that Pink said IF Tesla changed my order to include the Performance Pack now and remove the extra cost I was paying for the white exterior - the would have to requote and the new quotes were coming out over £100/month more because the new pricing and spec had reduced residuals meaning lease costs are higher.

SO I ENDED UP LEAVING MY ORDER AS IS. PERFORMANCE MODEL WITH NO PERFORMANCE PACK.

Can I ask - without causing a big row - the advantages and disadvantages of having or not having the performance pack?

THANKS.

The main issue is that the P- is only £500 cheaper than the P+ so residuals on the P- will be less long term, based on the free colour versions it is also £3100 more expensive than the LR and the only difference is the 1.2s 0-60.

It sounds odd that now the quotes are £100 a month high for a car is only £500 different in price if you had gone from black to white (free colour) but in your case you had been quoted based on the paid white version so theoretically it should be £1000 cheaper if the white was originally £1500 not factoring in the white interior which the price hasn't changed for. If I was you I'd get some quotes elsewhere.

Tesla have changed the configurator twice. Originally in May P+ (Performance pack) was standard, then in June it became a £3,700 option, so you got aero wheels, etc as standard on the P model. Then they changed it back to the P+ as standard with white as free standard colour and at a lower price. So looks like you got caught in the middle of these spec changes.

I would have thought the lease cost should really go down with the price reduction, especially if you were originally quoted for a P+ at the higher price. But sounds like that might not be the case.

As for the pros and cons of the Performance pack, it's mainly aimed at track use and more sporty look.

I originally ordered a black P-, as I couldn't justify the extra lease cost. The car I really wanted was the P+ with white paint.
For me, it was a bit of a no brainer to change as my lease company (Octopus) agreed that I could so with no extra cost. I know this hasn't been the case for most (any?) other lease companies.

Having said all that, I would have been perfectly happy with the P-, and I think it's actually a better car in some ways. You get the same acceleration, more compliant suspension and better economy. Top speed is slightly reduced, but unless you're going to be driving on the autobahn, it's a moot point. It's also the perfect sleeper car, as it looks very understated, but carries a big stick. :)

Reactions: ACarneiro
From what I recall the Performance Pack includes the spoiler which when added to the car, can unlock the higher top speed. See below for the process.
I think it also includes tyres, lowered suspension, maybe better brakes (or brakes painted red, that makes them better doesn't it?)

My husband has had two M3s now, one performance and one not (he sold the non-P one to a friend). As a driver and passenger of both, I can tell you that the differences are just the styling and the slightly higher 0-60 mph (though the non-P one "felt" faster and more agile than my MX -- it's super-fast). If you are not a person who wants to take the car to a track, it's really just aesthetic differences.

From what I recall the Performance Pack includes the spoiler which when added to the car, can unlock the higher top speed. See below for the process.
I think it also includes tyres, lowered suspension, maybe better brakes (or brakes painted red, that makes them better doesn't it?)

The spoiler can be added for about £100-£150, but I've not been able to get a straight answer from the UK service folks on whether they would enable the higher top speed if you fit one.

On the brake front, then there are definitely not just painted red. You get uprated Brembo calipers all around, bigger two piece disk assembly and performance pads. For most drivers, they probably won't make much difference, but if you intend to track the car, then they would be essential to avoid fade.

Reactions: Baldrick
There will be probably be another price and spec change before Q3 or start of Q4. I can't see them sustaining this price for long if they are not making profit

They are making a profit on the cars 18%+ as stated in their reports, for the company as a whole to be profitable they need to increase their car sales more and they do this by making their cars more affordable and reducing operating costs. They are unlikely to mess with the prices again so soon until at least Q4 as the point of the reductions was to make the higher spec cars more affordable to raise the average selling price of the cars and allow more people to be able to afford the cars and we are also already in Q3.

Thanks for all these replies guys - I'm not going to be going to a track in it. Just my daily drive and normal everyday use. Sounds to me like the P- won't be an issue at all - just odd to me that Pink wouldn't allow Tesla to change my order without requoting as it would mean they had a car with a better residual to offload at the end of the lease. Strange.

Thanks for all these replies guys - I'm not going to be going to a track in it. Just my daily drive and normal everyday use. Sounds to me like the P- won't be an issue at all - just odd to me that Pink wouldn't allow Tesla to change my order without requoting as it would mean they had a car with a better residual to offload at the end of the lease. Strange.

P- is certainly the better choice for everyday use. Significantly less road noise and a more compliant ride. Most people chose the P+ (when there was a choice!) simply because they preferred the look of the 20" wheels etc. Very few of these cars will ever see a track.

P- is certainly the better choice for everyday use. Significantly less road noise and a more compliant ride. Most people chose the P+ (when there was a choice!) simply because they preferred the look of the 20" wheels etc. Very few of these cars will ever see a track.
Oddly enough the reason I wanted the P+ originally was because I wasn't keen on the areos and never realised the cool wheels that were hidden behind those trims! Actually as it happens and looking at pics the aeros are growing on me bigtime! I am now undecided as to whether i will stick with the aeros or get a cap kit and go with the wheels behind those wheeltrims. I have nice choices.

I've always liked the look of the aero wheels too, but I think a large majority prefer more conventional looking alloys. The 20" Performance wheels look great too, but quite a compromise for ride quality, noise and reduced range.
I did like the idea of the red brake calipers though on the P+ and as its a lease car I can't really spray the calipers on my P- so I might just have to invest in some nice caliper covers - are they an easy fit?

I've always liked the look of the aero wheels too, but I think a large majority prefer more conventional looking alloys. The 20" Performance wheels look great too, but quite a compromise for ride quality, noise and reduced range.
I was quite happy with the look of the P- alloys, with or without the aero covers. Ride quality isn't as compromised as you might expect with the 20's. I've driven the SR+ on 18" Aeros and the Performance on the 20's. I was pleasantly surprised at how well the Performance handled bumps and surface imperfections. Not as good as the SR+, but nowhere near as bad most of the performance cars I've had in the past (Impreza STis, Evo's, M3, M5 etc.).

I think the range is the biggest trade off, which will only get worse as the temperature drops. For my commute to Farnborough, I'll be able to do it on a single charge during the summer, but will need to supercharge for about 20 minutes in winter. That's a trade off I can live with.

Just wish Tesla would sort out the Fleet South supercharger.