Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Model 3 poll - have you changed battery

Model 3 - Have you changed your 12v battery?

• Total voters
This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Interested to see the proportion of people who have changed their 12v battery.
Mine is 4.5 years old now and although it's not used to crank start an engine, it's an old style which typically only last 5 years so interested to see how many have changed theirs.

Interested to see the proportion of people who have changed their 12v battery.
Mine is 4.5 years old now and although it's not used to crank start an engine, it's an old style which typically only last 5 years so interested to see how many have changed theirs.
do they still have a 12v battery? or did they change it for a 15v Li one like the MY has in the newer ones??
I had an M3 from new for nearly 3 years 27K miles. Never changed the 12v

Assuming you can't just unplug the 12v and then plug in the 15v lithium as a replacement?
I don't think so but you could always get one of these:
1689257485182.png

It at least has L I O N written on it 🤣

do they still have a 12v battery? or did they change it for a 15v Li one like the MY has in the newer ones??
I had an M3 from new for nearly 3 years 27K miles. Never changed the 12v
The Force us with us... but just in case, I am now carrying a MN21, jumper battery, 10mm spanner and a 12V battery - long expeditions thru France and Spain and horror stories about Tesla support have made me paranoid ;-)

Surely a better question for the 3 year plus cohort is when you plan to change the battery if you are keeping the car. I still have warranty till November, so I guess I will change my 12V before the winter trip to France (i.e. at ~4 years).

They may be drop in for discharge, but charging a Li ion battery is quite different to charging a lead acid.
The ones sold specifically for Tesla vehicles have a built in BMS to control charging. Don’t see the point though, they are at least 4x the price of a regular one, unlikely to last 4x as long and have issues in freezing conditions.

little over 2 years old so not yet. Every time I see a post like this though I'm reminded that I probably should be concerned.

Especially as my car has a hydraulic frunk now and I really am not sure how well that will work in the event of a power loss and you can bet your ass Tesla will use that as an excuse to not sort it under warranty.

Why have you needed so many HV batteries?

Reactions: M1tch