Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Model 3 poll- The Tesla stretch

How much is your Tesla stretch compared to a current vehicle if replaced New?

• Model 3 purchase price is less

Votes: 9 12.0%
  • Paying up to $15k more

Votes: 9 12.0%
  • Paying up to $30k more

Votes: 14 18.7%
  • Paying over $30k more

Votes: 40 53.3%
  • Buying model 3 outright, not a replacement

Votes: 3 4.0%

• Total voters
This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Just as with Model S Model 3 buyers are very distinctly multi-modal.
Among the 'already obvious ones' (i.e. obvious to me, but no statistically valid data seem to be publicly available) are:
1. middle-class environmentalists- these are well represented among enthusiasts and often owned other BEV prior to or coincident with Tesla, so most fo them have paid more for Model S or Model 3 than for any other new vehicle ever.
2. performance enthusiasts- these are rapidly growing in number and include people adding a P3D to their stable of high performance vehicles and those who trade entry-level luxury performance (e.g. BMW M3, Subaru WRX) for P3D. These too tend to be vocal but are not a huge proportion of Model 3 sales, even though they are usually more lucrative than others.
3. Tesla fans- these are more numerous than the others two above and often are spending more on Model 3 than on any other car.

There are obviously several more clear modes, augmented by geographical and country-level specifics which include:
1. In many locations around the world BEV have preferential road taxes, tolls, parking etc. Many people have bought Model 3 specifically to make daily driving easier and/or cheaper. Norway is the poster example for this so many people have bought Model 3 because it is cheaper than a Ford Focus.
2. For many locations gasoline is very dear and electricity is relatively cheap. These are spread around the world. Many people have made such a calculus that ends out with BEV operation being much cheaper than is ICE, with the added perk of no oil changes. In those areas which have dramatic BEV benefit Model 3 represents a logical choice so purchase price may often be higher than for past vehicles.

If we had access to enough actual data we'd also find some serious demographic differences. Among those will be strong multi-modal household income, notable pockets of adoption surrounded by almost none and major concentrations surrounding academic and technological communities. A consequance is that average income and wealth of Model 3 owners will skew very upscale, but still will have a dramatic multi-model character. The diversity of thsoe modes is surely accentuated by the introduction of SR and continuing price reductions.

This questionnaire will definitely show us what we tend to be like, but will definitely tell us nothing at all about the broader Model 3 purchaser base.

Context: decades ago when I was much younger and opinionated than I am now I used Porsche Club membership data to infer characteristics of the larger Porsche owner population. In my [weak] defense Porsche at the time gave one year Porsche Club membership to every purchaser. I therefor brilliantly concluded that because 10% of those members were airplane pilots Porsche owners would be great candidates for aviation enthusiast products. My insight was a complete failure, in large part because enthusiast members are not indicative of non-enthusiast joining owners. Quite a few otehr mistakes there too.

Point: Be very sure that members of TMC are not representative of much of anything about broader Tesla owners.

My Model 3 will be $96,200 more than the car I am currently driving although to be fair I switched from a more expensive ICE car to the most fuel efficient ICE car 4 years ago in order to reduce emissions and save money for a decent electric car.

Reactions: Miggy
For me Tesla will be a number of firsts
- first time buying for more than $30K.
- first time to consider buying a US built car (former subi owner)
- first time buying a new car (can’t wait 2 more years after waiting this long;-()
- first EV
- first car with sub 8s 0-100

• First time you’ll have a grin (called the Tesla grin) each and every time you drive off in the morning
  • First time you’ll leave home with full tank (90%)
  • First time you’ll stop worrying about the price of fuel, best time to fill up (will become a distant memory, unless you still own an ICE, we did so solution was to go totally Tesla, problem solved)
  • Probably many others, but wait until you do visit a fuel station for the first time after many months of ownership and realise just out bad they smell (I believe we have become desensitised which after owning an EV one becomes normalised)

Reactions: Novatec and paul3
I only drive one day with around 60km a week. I don't really need to own a car. The current car, even though it is 10 years old, is perfect for the job, albeit a 13 l/100km. I just want to be part of the history. So I can tell my grandchildren I don't have that I was there when it happened.

I only drive one day with around 60km a week. I don't really need to own a car. The current car, even though it is 10 years old, is perfect for the job, albeit a 13 l/100km. I just want to be part of the history. So I can tell my grandchildren I don't have that I was there when it happened.

Well it started happening in the USA 8-9 years ago and around 5 years ago in Australia...so missed that boat (as it's happened) but welcome aboard ;-) Us Early adotptors have to hold on to come titles, hahaha

Well it started happening in the USA 8-9 years ago and around 5 years ago in Australia...so missed that boat (as it's happened) but welcome aboard ;-) Us Early adotptors have to hold on to come titles, hahaha
To me, I don't think I missed anything. It's the moment that 125 thousands people reserved the Model 3 without seeing the car. And a few hundreds of thousand more in the first month that created the history.

I have been following Tesla right from the start, but none of the cars were suitable for us, either too small or too large.

To me, I don't think I missed anything. It's the moment that 125 thousands people reserved the Model 3 without seeing the car. And a few hundreds of thousand more in the first month that created the history.

I have been following Tesla right from the start, but none of the cars were suitable for us, either too small or too large.

Fair enough, but it depends on what one clasifies as "there", for me it was:
  1. Putting down the $'s many years ago on an unproven company
  2. Spending many $'s on cars that had many bugs
  3. Being the reason Tesla was able to even get to the next stage of producing the Model 3
  4. Being a defacto sales agent all the time with people coming up to me on the street
  5. Giving up the small form factor of 2 door sports cars I'd traditionally driven around for the S. The S's size (darn it's big) was something I just had to suck up because I believe in Tesla's mission and just not being the right form factor wasn't enough of a reason to not be present as it was happening
So late to the party, but present at what count?

Enjoy the car, you'll love it...glad you made