Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Model 3 poll- The Tesla stretch

How much is your Tesla stretch compared to a current vehicle if replaced New?

• Model 3 purchase price is less

Votes: 9 12.0%
  • Paying up to $15k more

Votes: 9 12.0%
  • Paying up to $30k more

Votes: 14 18.7%
  • Paying over $30k more

Votes: 40 53.3%
  • Buying model 3 outright, not a replacement

Votes: 3 4.0%

• Total voters
This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Fair enough, but it depends on what one clasifies as "there", for me it was:
  1. Putting down the $'s many years ago on an unproven company
  2. Spending many $'s on cars that had many bugs
  3. Being the reason Tesla was able to even get to the next stage of producing the Model 3
  4. Being a defacto sales agent all the time with people coming up to me on the street
  5. Giving up the small form factor of 2 door sports cars I'd traditionally driven around for the S. The S's size (darn it's big) was something I just had to suck up because I believe in Tesla's mission and just not being the right form factor wasn't enough of a reason to not be present as it was happening
So late to the party, but present at what count?

Enjoy the car, you'll love it...glad you made

In the year 2019 Tesla will build approximately 0.46% of market share, this is a market share that Tesla will eventually dominate causing the complete demise of many historic car manufacturers, at 0.46% we are still in the early adopter phase.

"Now is not the end, it is not even the beginning of the end. But it is perhaps the end of the beginning.

Reactions: raynewman
Just as with Model S Model 3 buyers are very distinctly multi-modal.
Among the 'already obvious ones' (i.e. obvious to me, but no statistically valid data seem to be publicly available) are:
1. middle-class environmentalists- these are well represented among enthusiasts and often owned other BEV prior to or coincident with Tesla, so most fo them have paid more for Model S or Model 3 than for any other new vehicle ever.
2. performance enthusiasts- these are rapidly growing in number and include people adding a P3D to their stable of high performance vehicles and those who trade entry-level luxury performance (e.g. BMW M3, Subaru WRX) for P3D. These too tend to be vocal but are not a huge proportion of Model 3 sales, even though they are usually more lucrative than others.
3. Tesla fans- these are more numerous than the others two above and often are spending more on Model 3 than on any other car.

There are obviously several more clear modes, augmented by geographical and country-level specifics which include:
1. In many locations around the world BEV have preferential road taxes, tolls, parking etc. Many people have bought Model 3 specifically to make daily driving easier and/or cheaper. Norway is the poster example for this so many people have bought Model 3 because it is cheaper than a Ford Focus.
2. For many locations gasoline is very dear and electricity is relatively cheap. These are spread around the world. Many people have made such a calculus that ends out with BEV operation being much cheaper than is ICE, with the added perk of no oil changes. In those areas which have dramatic BEV benefit Model 3 represents a logical choice so purchase price may often be higher than for past vehicles.

If we had access to enough actual data we'd also find some serious demographic differences. Among those will be strong multi-modal household income, notable pockets of adoption surrounded by almost none and major concentrations surrounding academic and technological communities. A consequance is that average income and wealth of Model 3 owners will skew very upscale, but still will have a dramatic multi-model character. The diversity of thsoe modes is surely accentuated by the introduction of SR and continuing price reductions.

This questionnaire will definitely show us what we tend to be like, but will definitely tell us nothing at all about the broader Model 3 purchaser base.

Context: decades ago when I was much younger and opinionated than I am now I used Porsche Club membership data to infer characteristics of the larger Porsche owner population. In my [weak] defense Porsche at the time gave one year Porsche Club membership to every purchaser. I therefor brilliantly concluded that because 10% of those members were airplane pilots Porsche owners would be great candidates for aviation enthusiast products. My insight was a complete failure, in large part because enthusiast members are not indicative of non-enthusiast joining owners. Quite a few otehr mistakes there too.

Point: Be very sure that members of TMC are not representative of much of anything about broader Tesla owners.
Taking in to account polls are often misleading and this is only a small sample size the 47% paying more than 30k is a bit more than expected but only by a small margin, I'm also going to take a guess here and say that of the 7 spending less on a model 3 a few are current model S or X owners.
Statistical quirk. I'm one of the 7- however I bought my current car when it was 5 years old for $40k. New replacement would be around $120k. If my LR RWD with white interior ever turns up, it'll be around twice what I paid for my current drive.

Taking in to account polls are often misleading and this is only a small sample size the 47% paying more than 30k is a bit more than expected but only by a small margin, I'm also going to take a guess here and say that of the 7 spending less on a model 3 a few are current model S or X owners.
Certainly on this forum that will often have been true. In the larger context it's also clear from the Tesla-disclosed tradein patterns the majority of tradeins were of vehicles less expensive or in the same price class as Model 3. As a general rule of 'entry level luxury' sales roughly 2/3 are financed or leased with trades and the remainder are cash sales. That 1/3 includes, however, cases in which sell their old car privately and use the proceeds to support a cash sale. It's reasonable to suspect that Model 3 is similar, with exceptions.

Anyway, these statistics are aggregates and thus miss major quirks. Model 3 has quite obviously displaced many much more expensive vehicles and has also been added to existing Model S,X and Roadster owners households. Unless those other Teslas were traded there is no way for us to have access to the data. One can never trust anecdotes as indicative of anything; so I shall offer one anyway.:rolleyes: I personally know of several households that own multiple Teslas and have added Model 3. I also know quite a few who stretched their finances close to the breaking point in order to have a Model 3. My speculation is that both of those extremes are over-represented among us precisely because such people tend to be more enthusiastic than are others.

Then there are the tiny handful of us who traded an S or X to buy a Model 3. We must be outliers. Of the three who have done that that I personally know, all of us are fairly old, sports car enthusiasts who bought our original Tesla to replace a Porsche 911, Jaguar XK or other smaller but expensive ride. All three of us bought the Tesla despite its size. I am one of those. I doubt that this is a large segment, but it is illustrative of the exceedingly broad appeal of the Model 3. Parenthetically, it is the existence of such people that makes me think that Tesla should not have reduced prices on the P3D.

Certainly on this forum that will often have been true. In the larger context it's also clear from the Tesla-disclosed tradein patterns the majority of tradeins were of vehicles less expensive or in the same price class as Model 3. As a general rule of 'entry level luxury' sales roughly 2/3 are financed or leased with trades and the remainder are cash sales. That 1/3 includes, however, cases in which sell their old car privately and use the proceeds to support a cash sale. It's reasonable to suspect that Model 3 is similar, with exceptions.

Anyway, these statistics are aggregates and thus miss major quirks. Model 3 has quite obviously displaced many much more expensive vehicles and has also been added to existing Model S,X and Roadster owners households. Unless those other Teslas were traded there is no way for us to have access to the data. One can never trust anecdotes as indicative of anything; so I shall offer one anyway.:rolleyes: I personally know of several households that own multiple Teslas and have added Model 3. I also know quite a few who stretched their finances close to the breaking point in order to have a Model 3. My speculation is that both of those extremes are over-represented among us precisely because such people tend to be more enthusiastic than are others.

Then there are the tiny handful of us who traded an S or X to buy a Model 3. We must be outliers. Of the three who have done that that I personally know, all of us are fairly old, sports car enthusiasts who bought our original Tesla to replace a Porsche 911, Jaguar XK or other smaller but expensive ride. All three of us bought the Tesla despite its size. I am one of those. I doubt that this is a large segment, but it is illustrative of the exceedingly broad appeal of the Model 3. Parenthetically, it is the existence of such people that makes me think that Tesla should not have reduced prices on the P3D.

Agreed, I am one of those spending less on the 3, changing an S for the 3P, previous to the S had a small sports car (more expensive than the current S) and buying the 3 as I want smaller (have an X for the family car).....agreed the 3 Performance should be more expensive BUT I am darn smiling it isn’t ;)

• Love
Reactions: jbcarioca
HOW MUCH IS THE AUSSIE / KIWI TESLA STRETCH?

Just a random thought (while I wait endlessly for my new Blue P3+, FSD, with White interior. Still waiting on a VIN :( )

I read in USA forums and news articles about the "Tesla Stretch". How people were going US$20-$30k beyond their normal spending limit on a car to get the Tesla Model 3. So people upgraded from a Camry or Honda or Hyundai to a Tesla. They took the US$20k stretch because they love Tesla or the concept or wanted the next level of performance, or other reasons.

Q: What's the experience for all of us in Australia? How much did you "Stretch" ? $$$$

Me? I'm blowing the stats out of the water personally, because I have never bought a new car before in my life ever! (and I started driving in 1977). Until now, I couldn't justify the new car expense, they didn't hold that kind of value to me. I couldn't love them, so didn't buy. Instead, I bought older second hand models and couldn't care less about them as they sat frequently unused in the driveway, and cycled to work almost every day.

But this time, I'm taking the "Tesla Stretch", and going all out at pretty close to A$100k above anything I ever spent on cars before in one hit. And I'm going to totally love it. It's my new baby! It's insanely FAST, and also BTW I believe in the future of EV, Elon, Solar and more!

So: My Tesla Stretch is A$100k, and my first new car ever! What's yours?

HOW MUCH IS THE AUSSIE / KIWI TESLA STRETCH?

Just a random thought (while I wait endlessly for my new Blue P3+, FSD, with White interior. Still waiting on a VIN :( )

I read in USA forums and news articles about the "Tesla Stretch". How people were going US$20-$30k beyond their normal spending limit on a car to get the Tesla Model 3. So people upgraded from a Camry or Honda or Hyundai to a Tesla. They took the US$20k stretch because they love Tesla or the concept or wanted the next level of performance, or other reasons.

Q: What's the experience for all of us in Australia? How much did you "Stretch" ? $$$$

Me? I'm blowing the stats out of the water personally, because I have never bought a new car before in my life ever! (and I started driving in 1977). Until now, I couldn't justify the new car expense, they didn't hold that kind of value to me. I couldn't love them, so didn't buy. Instead, I bought older second hand models and couldn't care less about them as they sat frequently unused in the driveway, and cycled to work almost every day.

But this time, I'm taking the "Tesla Stretch", and going all out at pretty close to A$100k above anything I ever spent on cars before in one hit. And I'm going to totally love it. It's my new baby! It's insanely FAST, and also BTW I believe in the future of EV, Elon, Solar and more!

$25-$30K

Reactions: DavidRL

My stretch was $55k if going off the new price of my previous car, but only 30k if going off the alternative ICE cars I was considering at the time.
EDIT: ... and 15k of that will come back to me in fuel savings over the next 5 years compared to any of the alternatives I was considering, so my stretch is only 15k really. A steal!

The most expensive car I've bought previously was a brand new Subaru WRX in 1999 for $45k.

That worked out pretty well for a couple of years until I went and played tennis one night and never saw it again. Someone had stolen it from the car park.

Hi BS: Just following through as I want to make a chart of the stretch: What would the $$ stretch be for you? say, compared to the WRX or your next choice of car today if not Tesla/EV? (I'm not sure which Tesla model you are getting so ant find the stretch from the WRX). Tthanks

Last edited:
Q: What's the experience for all of us in Australia? How much did you "Stretch" ?
I have purchased only 4 cars in my life, and each one was purchased new. The most recent one (LEAF) cost $40k. So Tesla Model 3 (LR AWD) will represent about $55k increase on that. So it will nearly be 2.4x the cost of any car I have ever bought. Ridiculous, really, but such is the lure of BEV.