TMC is an independent, primarily volunteer organization that relies on ad revenue to cover its operating costs. Please consider whitelisting TMC on your ad blocker and becoming a Supporting Member. For more info: Support TMC

Model 3 poll- The Tesla stretch

Discussion in 'Australia & New Zealand' started by Blue heaven, Aug 9, 2019.

?

How much is your Tesla stretch compared to a current vehicle if replaced New?

1. Model 3 purchase price is less

8 vote(s)
    12.7%
  2. Paying up to $15k more

7 vote(s)
    11.1%
  3. Paying up to $30k more

13 vote(s)
    20.6%
  4. Paying over $30k more

32 vote(s)
    50.8%
  5. Buying model 3 outright, not a replacement

3 vote(s)
    4.8%
  1. Blue heaven

Blue heaven Fair Dinkum Tesla

In the year 2019 Tesla will build approximately 0.46% of market share, this is a market share that Tesla will eventually dominate causing the complete demise of many historic car manufacturers, at 0.46% we are still in the early adopter phase.

"Now is not the end, it is not even the beginning of the end. But it is perhaps the end of the beginning.

• Like x 1
  2. EcoCloudIT

EcoCloudIT Member

Hahaha ;)

Hope you realise my response is all tongue and cheek?

3. TASKA9

TASKA9 Member

I hope you realised mine was sacastic.

4. EcoCloudIT

EcoCloudIT Member

Did you mean sarcastic?

5. TASKA9

TASKA9 Member

6. Hovean

Hovean Member

Statistical quirk. I'm one of the 7- however I bought my current car when it was 5 years old for $40k. New replacement would be around $120k. If my LR RWD with white interior ever turns up, it'll be around twice what I paid for my current drive.

7. jbcarioca

jbcarioca Active Member

Certainly on this forum that will often have been true. In the larger context it's also clear from the Tesla-disclosed tradein patterns the majority of tradeins were of vehicles less expensive or in the same price class as Model 3. As a general rule of 'entry level luxury' sales roughly 2/3 are financed or leased with trades and the remainder are cash sales. That 1/3 includes, however, cases in which sell their old car privately and use the proceeds to support a cash sale. It's reasonable to suspect that Model 3 is similar, with exceptions.

Anyway, these statistics are aggregates and thus miss major quirks. Model 3 has quite obviously displaced many much more expensive vehicles and has also been added to existing Model S,X and Roadster owners households. Unless those other Teslas were traded there is no way for us to have access to the data. One can never trust anecdotes as indicative of anything; so I shall offer one anyway.:rolleyes: I personally know of several households that own multiple Teslas and have added Model 3. I also know quite a few who stretched their finances close to the breaking point in order to have a Model 3. My speculation is that both of those extremes are over-represented among us precisely because such people tend to be more enthusiastic than are others.

Then there are the tiny handful of us who traded an S or X to buy a Model 3. We must be outliers. Of the three who have done that that I personally know, all of us are fairly old, sports car enthusiasts who bought our original Tesla to replace a Porsche 911, Jaguar XK or other smaller but expensive ride. All three of us bought the Tesla despite its size. I am one of those. I doubt that this is a large segment, but it is illustrative of the exceedingly broad appeal of the Model 3. Parenthetically, it is the existence of such people that makes me think that Tesla should not have reduced prices on the P3D.

8. EcoCloudIT

EcoCloudIT Member

Agreed, I am one of those spending less on the 3, changing an S for the 3P, previous to the S had a small sports car (more expensive than the current S) and buying the 3 as I want smaller (have an X for the family car).....agreed the 3 Performance should be more expensive BUT I am darn smiling it isn’t ;)

• Love x 1