Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Model 3 Power Liftgate?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Good question, I haven't had time to play with it but my guess is that the replacement latch is doing something to the liftgate portion upon unlocking that causes it to wiggle back more than a manual opening.

Btw heads-up that 2019.28.2 apparently causes issues with the foot sensor responsiveness. I received an email from Warren @ TeslaOffer with the following details:

<< We observed that there is an update on the CAN ID for Model 3 with v9.0 2019.28.2 or after. This update mainly affect the users with foot sensors installed. Please perform the update as soon as possible. >>

And by the bold text they mean the TeslaOffer firmware update, which was attached to the email.
If you have the kit and didn't get the email from Warren, PM me and I can send you the update file.

Well, a day after I got this email (8/11), my power liftgate stopped working. When I tried to open, I can hear the latch unlock, but that's it. I'd have to manually pull the trunk open and push it down to close. Finally, got time to do the update this weekend and it didn't work. I prepared the micro SD per the instructions. I peeled back the rubber molding and pull the carpeted panel open a bit to show the controller. I noticed the controller was not powered on. The red LED is dimmed. I inserted the micro SD anyway and waited for about 10 minutes, but nothing happened.
  1. Should the controller red LED on?
  2. Has anyone successfully updated the power liftgate software?
micro SD = 1 GB
Successfully formatted from DOS cmd prompt: C:\ format D: /FS:FAT32

C:\WINDOWS\system32>format D: /FS:FAT32
Insert new disk for drive D:
and press ENTER when ready...
The type of the file system is FAT.
The new file system is FAT32.
Verifying 967.5 MB
Initializing the File Allocation Table (FAT)...
Volume label (11 characters, ENTER for none)? Teslaoffer
Format complete.
963.5 MB total disk space.
963.5 MB are available.

4,096 bytes in each allocation unit.
246,651 allocation units available on disk.

32 bits in each FAT entry.

Volume Serial Number is E879-31F2

C:\WINDOWS\system32>dir d:\
Volume in drive D is TESLAOFFER

Directory of d:\

File Not Found

C:\WINDOWS\system32>

From Windows Explorer, I dragged and dropped the update.yst to the D:\ drive and issued the eject command before removing the micro SD card.

Well, a day after I got this email (8/11), my power liftgate stopped working. When I tried to open, I can hear the latch unlock, but that's it. I'd have to manually pull the trunk open and push it down to close. Finally, got time to do the update this weekend and it didn't work. I prepared the micro SD per the instructions. I peeled back the rubber molding and pull the carpeted panel open a bit to show the controller. I noticed the controller was not powered on. The red LED is dimmed. I inserted the micro SD anyway and waited for about 10 minutes, but nothing happened.
micro SD = 1 GB

Verifying 967.5 MB
Format complete.
963.5 MB are available.

File Not Found

From Windows Explorer, I dragged and dropped the update.yst to the D:\ drive and issued the eject command before removing the micro SD card.

Sounds like a controller issue. Mine always has the red LED slowly flashing. As soon as you insert the MicroSD it starts flashing intensely. You sure your power is routed OK?

Mine had the red light flashing as soon as I pulled back the carpet. After I figured out which slot to put the SD card it it worked as the email said it would. The red light flashed fast and then stopped. The kick sensor works better after the update. If your red light is off I would make sure your power wire is still connected.

micro SD = 1 GB

Verifying 967.5 MB
Format complete.
963.5 MB are available.

File Not Found

Check the fuse at the 12v line under the panels at the drivers seat (or at the 12v battery if you installed it that way). I had a blown fuse at one point during my install and needed to go buy some extras.

Check the fuse at the 12v line under the panels at the drivers seat (or at the 12v battery if you installed it that way). I had a blown fuse at one point during my install and needed to go buy some extras.

Thanks for the replies. It's been a real hassle using the trunk these past several days. Haven't had time to dig in, but I contacted the vendor and will be getting another controller and fuse to test. Will update which or both. My power is wired to the 12v battery next to windshield wipers.

The one that came on 8/8/19 or a later one? The one on 8/8 I didn't apply because it was mainly to fix issues with the foot sensor and I have no foot sensor. Do I have to apply that one? How do I do it now that I can't open the trunk?

I applied the latest one, which was on 8/8 (previous one was 8/7). You should probably apply either one since you don’t have the foot sensor, they do fix a CAN change in 2019.28.x.
You can still open the trunk manually by folding the rear seats and reaching the latch release.

I applied the latest one, which was on 8/8 (previous one was 8/7). You should probably apply either one since you don’t have the foot sensor, they do fix a CAN change in 2019.28.x.
You can still open the trunk manually by folding the rear seats and reaching the latch release.
I attempted to do the 8/8 update with the only mem card I have which is "exFAT 64MB" not "FAT32 32MB" as recommended. At first I though it didn't go through because the light only flashed for like a brief second and then went out. But after I took it out the lift gate started working again. So I guess it worked or maybe it didn't and it just got reseted or something.

I attempted to do the 8/8 update with the only mem card I have which is "exFAT 64MB" not "FAT32 32MB" as recommended. At first I though it didn't go through because the light only flashed for like a brief second and then went out. But after I took it out the lift gate started working again. So I guess it worked or maybe it didn't and it just got reseted or something.

Yeah the light blinks very quickly for less than a second then stop completely until you remove the flash card. I recommend you also unplug/replug the power cable to reboot the box just in case.

Reactions: Perry
Yeah the light blinks very quickly for less than a second then stop completely until you remove the flash card. I recommend you also unplug/replug the power cable to reboot the box just in case.

Ok apparently I was wrong about this.. the light should blink quickly for more than a second for the update to take effect.

My car was upgraded to 2019.28.3.1 earlier this week and I thought I had done the Tesla Offer update correctly, but then my trunk started opening while driving over speed bumps or steep driveways, as the foot sensor is detecting objects and instructs the trunk to open.

I've been communicating with Raymond from Tesla Offer about this and sent him the video below, but he said that this means the update failed.

His words were: "The update failed, that's why you have the issue. Try using a smaller micro SD card."

Asked what would indicate a successful update, he responded: "The light will flash very fast for a few seconds then freeze during the update."

So, PSA to everyone that has the foot sensor installed: please be careful with 2019.28.x and make sure your liftgate firmware update was successful!

• Informative
Reactions: Runt8
Ok apparently I was wrong about this.. the light should blink quickly for more than a second for the update to take effect.

My car was upgraded to 2019.28.3.1 earlier this week and I thought I had done the Tesla Offer update correctly, but then my trunk started opening while driving over speed bumps or steep driveways, as the foot sensor is detecting objects and instructs the trunk to open.

I've been communicating with Raymond from Tesla Offer about this and sent him the video below, but he said that this means the update failed.

His words were: "The update failed, that's why you have the issue. Try using a smaller micro SD card."

Asked what would indicate a successful update, he responded: "The light will flash very fast for a few seconds then freeze during the update."

So, PSA to everyone that has the foot sensor installed: please be careful with 2019.28.x and make sure your liftgate firmware update was successful!

Yikes - things like this is why I haven't installed this yet.

That's what mine did (as shown in video) when I did the firmware update because the lift gate stopped responding after the Tesla update. So my update never went through then. How did it become operational again then. So after the flicker the light should freeze in what position (on or off)? and for how long?

My Power Liftgate stopped working today when the Model 3 software was updated to V 2019.28.3.1. In fact I can't open the trunk at all unless I crawl into the trunk from the back seats and press the emergency release button. When I do that the Power Liftgate cycles as if it's trying, but does not open the trunk. I have to go around to the outside and press the external release. But when I close the trunk I can't open it again. It ends up being deja vu all over again.

Anybody have any suggestions? I'm assuming I'll have to do Tesla Offer's update, but I never received it. Hope this doesn't happen every time Tesla updates the software. That would be a real bummer and cause for removing the Power Lifgate and forgetting about it.

Last edited:
My Power Liftgate stopped working today when the Model 3 software was updated to V 2019.28.3.1. In fact I can't open the trunk at all unless I crawl into the trunk from the back seats and press the emergency release button. When I do that the Power Liftgate cycles as if it's trying, but does not open the trunk. I have to go around to the outside and press the external release. But when I close the trunk I can't open it again. It ends up being deja vu all over again.

Anybody have any suggestions? I'm assuming I'll have to do Tesla Offer's update, but I never received it. Hope this doesn't happen every time Tesla updates the software. That would be a real bummer and cause for removing the Power Lifgate and forgetting about it.

Send me a PM and I'll get you hooked up with the latest update. You need a microSD card that's 32GB or less and the ability to access the control box. It's not too bad.

Reactions: Perry