Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Model 3 Premium Package is a STEAL (By Tesla standards)

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
The screenshot of the PUP interior features doesn't say anything about a heated steering wheel:

qriQPwxjE96ipQW3atpvJjiBLsysJfQjPzjYYqekEh5flYhaIA0MWWk4hXSruwd8rqFlb5hz4oT5cc4yv41WDJT_v2QaBhXlYiOcC9tXmCf35L89RhuBk1bBRJJMFcSGcXBXo5VcesQ=w528-h553-no

I could be wrong then about the heated wheel. There used to be verbiage somewhere specific to them adding rear seat heaters with the package, but perhaps they changed it since.

I could be wrong then about the heated wheel. There used to be verbiage somewhere specific to them adding rear seat heaters with the package, but perhaps they changed it since.
It's right there in the image I posted (emphasis mine):
Premium seating materials throughout, including a seat heater and USB port (four total) for every passenger
There's an entire thread devoted to the conjecture/lamentation about the possible inclusion/exclusion of a heated steering wheel on the Model 3:
No heated steering wheel? (Leaf and Bolt have it)

Just compare to the options that come with 3 series BMW. Through a lot of trial & error, I'd think, BMW has come up with these options and prices. I guess Tesla wants to relearn all that, fine.

May be Tesla being new at this - doesn't know how to efficiently configure multiple permutation of options. That doesn't make a bloated option a "steal" if someone doesn't care for most of those options. No different from 150 channels on cable/satellite when I want only a handful. Saying each of those channels when added up would have cost $1,000 - so that 150 channel package is a steal at $200 is not a persuasive argument.

One good thing about Tesla is that they change prices quickly instead of waiting for model year change. So, we'll know I'm right if they change the price or breakup the PUP.
It's not trial and error. BMW is simply a far more mature company that has the luxury of a more robust factory, staff, and suppliers that allow them to offer more options (at marginally better prices - or not, depending on the case). As @SageBrush said, Tesla is "optimizing" for themselves at the moment - get as many Model 3s built and sold as possible. Which, at the moment, is in conflict with giving everyone the exact mix of options they would prefer. Maybe in a year or two they'll unbundle. Maybe not. Their research may indicate that the extra money made from people that will get the PUP that would normally only get one or two smaller options far outweighs the money lost from people that will not get the PUP - or possibly not buy the car at all!

Reactions: tony b
It's not trial and error. BMW is simply a far more mature company that has the luxury of a more robust factory, staff, and suppliers that allow them to offer more options (at marginally better prices - or not, depending on the case). As @SageBrush said, Tesla is "optimizing" for themselves at the moment - get as many Model 3s built and sold as possible. Which, at the moment, is in conflict with giving everyone the exact mix of options they would prefer. Maybe in a year or two they'll unbundle. Maybe not. Their research may indicate that the extra money made from people that will get the PUP that would normally only get one or two smaller options far outweighs the money lost from people that will not get the PUP - or possibly not buy the car at all!
They can't even build the cars fast enough. I'm sure once they clear their backlog they will consider doing things differently. Right now they want their production to be as simple as possible. Their decision make sense. Having said that in a perfect world I wouldn't have to pay for the premium audio to get the other stuff.

They can't even build the cars fast enough. I'm sure once they clear their backlog they will consider doing things differently. Right now they want their production to be as simple as possible. Their decision make sense. Having said that in a perfect world I wouldn't have to pay for the premium audio to get the other stuff.
This! I've read that Tesla's at about 4x the labor hours per car of the average large manufacturer. They can fiddle with packages after they've ramped up their production lines to meet or exceed industry averages.

Reactions: WarpedOne
PUP is definitely pretty fairly priced considering all that`s packed into it. But It kinda doesn`t help people like me who don`t want 90% from that package :)

I can't say I'd choose to pay for everything in it, but it's stuff that I'll like having. Upgraded audio for instance and leather seats aren't things being two examples, and most of the cost of the PUP package.

But automatic seats, glass roof, heating throughout and memory seats make it worth it. And I'm sure I'll like the leather seats and upgraded audio as well.

Reactions: landis
Per the @Model3owners twitter, this is a screenshot of the standard package order screen. Supposedly the premium package adds heating to the steering wheel and rear seats, much like the winter package in the Model S. Would make sense, as heated seats are more efficient than heating the air.

View attachment 242892

The screenshot of the PUP interior features doesn't say anything about a heated steering wheel:

qriQPwxjE96ipQW3atpvJjiBLsysJfQjPzjYYqekEh5flYhaIA0MWWk4hXSruwd8rqFlb5hz4oT5cc4yv41WDJT_v2QaBhXlYiOcC9tXmCf35L89RhuBk1bBRJJMFcSGcXBXo5VcesQ=w528-h553-no

As far as I know this isn't confirmed to be real yet, I'll wait until there is something actually on the Tesla page or a valid screenshot of someone configuring.

If they did surveys, we'd have read about them.

Surveys don't always get the kind of coverage you are expecting.

Surveys were handed out (and collected) at the King of Prussia Mall store to those waiting in line on 2016-03-31.I know, I was there. The cynics will say they were to keep the line waiters from getting restless... ;-)

But seriously, the M3 line is expected to be about 5x more labor efficient than current S/X line(s) so it is reasonable to expect world class on the M3 line by around the end of the year.

I can't say I'd choose to pay for everything in it, but it's stuff that I'll like having. Upgraded audio for instance and leather seats being two examples,

Same here.

I don't trust most of the cost allocations reported here since summing individual costs results in multiples of 5k.
You can't take a couple of items you wouldn't choose and then say that accounts for the majority of PUP price.

Forgot that I will need the memory seat.

A post from 2015 seem to suggest there are three positions:

"Correct. I got a 2013 CPO with the tech package, and the advisor mentioned that was part of it. I really like it. One memory option for my wife, myself, and one called exit to move the seat back further and lift the steering wheel up and towards the dash for easier entry exit."

Reactions: chronopc
Forgot that I will need the memory seat.

A post from 2015 seem to suggest there are three positions:

"Correct. I got a 2013 CPO with the tech package, and the advisor mentioned that was part of it. I really like it. One memory option for my wife, myself, and one called exit to move the seat back further and lift the steering wheel up and towards the dash for easier entry exit."
I like that exit profile idea. I'm going to steal it. Yoink.

I like that exit profile idea. I'm going to steal it. Yoink.
Some day Tesla will do a software update to have an implicit entry/exit position. Other brands already do this (and is more important for them since they have hardware buttons for Profile 1 and Profile 2). I'm not sure I'll do the explicit exit profile, because it would interfere with auto-profile-inference-via-keyfob.