Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Model 3 price reduction to come?

is the price of the model 3 dropping

• yes (the price is getting reduced)

Votes: 40 26.5%
  • no ( the price is staying the same)

Votes: 112 74.2%

• Total voters
This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Agreed. I dont need the car until July.

Seeing end of Q1 deals, I decided to wait for end of Q2 deals on either new or inventory.
Price went up by 2000. No big deal, autopilot now included
Price went up by another 500. Shoot, that sucks
FSD went up by 1000. That also sucks
Referral bonus went up to 5000miles. Gives me hope that it'll be the same in June, or even better.

First week of June...nothing

Ordered car 2 days ago.
Given low inventory, I can't imagine there'll be a end of q fire sale, unless they have a ton of cars sitting at their plant that get shipped out domestically in the next few weeks.
Congrats! I know the feeling. Just read about a SR M3 downgrade... No mention of the old 35K price either. They gotta have a good supply of cars, we're getting ours delivered in 9 days. Granted we live in San Diego, that's still awesome turn around time.

Yea I’m keeping my hopes up, I’m not in a rush. Worst case I wait until there are used P3D available.
It sounds like you're going to end up waiting on a used one then. There will likely not be any sort of price reduction until after the end of the quarter to offset the change in tax credit. And, even if they do offer one, it won't be as much as the $1,875 tax credit reduction.

It sounds like you're going to end up waiting on a used one then. There will likely not be any sort of price reduction until after the end of the quarter to offset the change in tax credit. And, even if they do offer one, it won't be as much as the $1,875 tax credit reduction.

Agreed, and lately the pricing has been moving in the other direction. $400 price increase last month, No more Homelink in any Model 3 interiors ($300 option now), no more NEMA 14-50 adapters ($35), no more USB cables ($28), SR/SR+ have no floor mats ($70), etc. So, if they do reduce the price a little bit after June 30th it will probably be a wash.

Reactions: neroden
Tesla prices should be gradually going down. It's a growing company in an emerging industry with manufacturing costs, especially of its most expensive part (the battery) consistently dropping. If you buy an emerging technology early, you pay more for it. If you want it cheaper, you wait while developing economies of scale and technological advances reduce the cost (for example, Tesla created a new battery chemistry for the model 3 that uses less of the most expensive materials and performs better than its previous batteries). Battery costs are falling rapidly and will continue to. If Tesla doesn't lower their prices over time to reflect this, then competitors will start offering comparable vehicles cheaper and take away Tesla's market share. If neither of these happens, then capitalism is a failure.

Tesla prices should be gradually going down. It's a growing company in an emerging industry with manufacturing costs, especially of its most expensive part (the battery) consistently dropping. If you buy an emerging technology early, you pay more for it. If you want it cheaper, you wait while developing economies of scale and technological advances reduce the cost (for example, Tesla created a new battery chemistry for the model 3 that uses less of the most expensive materials and performs better than its previous batteries). Battery costs are falling rapidly and will continue to. If Tesla doesn't lower their prices over time to reflect this, then competitors will start offering comparable vehicles cheaper and take away Tesla's market share. If neither of these happens, then capitalism is a failure.

Agreed. We also need to factor in the Tesla brand into the equation. The brand will command a price premium as well. The same way we pay more for Apple products. Apple doesn't even have to have the best tech or performance in a lot of areas but we buy it anyway because of the brand and the ecosystem. Tesla and with its Supercharging infrastructure, continual software feature updates, etc. has actually made driving enjoyable again for a lot of people.

It will be fun to watch all the big auto manufacturers scramble now to build desirable EVs. They have the money to do it but will they build EVs that people actually want to buy and how and when will they build out a charging infrastructure? popcorn emoji

I think for the SR+ the price now is as cheap as it’s going to get. Would feel confident ordering now. They might do a slight decrease to make up for the tax credit getting halved but the deal won’t be better. There is such a small margin on the SR+. I ordered a SR in May and have been happy. If you need a code for supercharger miles feel free to use mine James22950 Good luck!

At $35k - 40k the price is not really the problem anymore since that that is pretty close to the average sales price of a new car, especially when you consider tax credits and lower total cost of ownership. It is more about the total demand for an EV sedan at this point.

The Model Y should be a huge success as well since it leverages the Model 3 design but targets the popular SUV segment. The pickup truck will be a game changer as well. Fun times ahead.

The law of supply and demand states as demand rises so does the ability to ask more not less. There is no competition in the Tesla market for it's only Tesla that is 100% EV. Only Tesla can upgrade via update downloads. Only Tesla runs this type of electric motor.
Agreed, Elon has stated he wants to change the world and make the planet a greener place so affordable 100% EVs in his eyes are critical... So he says.
Let's hold his feet to the fire when necessary and thumbs up to him so far.

Tesla prices should be gradually going down. It's a growing company in an emerging industry with manufacturing costs, especially of its most expensive part (the battery) consistently dropping. If you buy an emerging technology early, you pay more for it.
Yes, but we're talking about premium pieces of technology, not VCRs. The cost of cell phones is not going down, tablets and other computers are now stable and not decreasing in price. What you'll see from Tesla like other tech items is more features and options added while the price stays pretty much the same or increases over time.

hey guys, i just placed my order for a standard range plus model 3. one thing i look at when buying a car is resale value, with the model 3 we have seen a reduction in price every time the tax credit has gone down, but that hurts people who purchased the car before because on top of regular depreciation you have to factor in the new price reduction. Well for me the 3,750$ tax incentive doesn’t even apply and in July that’s going to get cut in half to $1875, so my question is does anyone know for sure if the standard range plus is getting a price reduction? if so it would be stupid to not wait the extra month, i know a lot of people got screwed when the tax credit originally dropped from 7500$ and i don’t want that to happen to me.
It will get reduced a month or two after you order guaranteed, no matter when you order lol.
But other things may change as well. Perhaps it will be the same price but with EAP added back, or maybe they will start more free supercharging again.

Reactions: MXWing
It will get reduced a month or two after you order guaranteed, no matter when you order lol.
But other things may change as well. Perhaps it will be the same price but with EAP added back, or maybe they will start more free supercharging again.

Tesla is running out of room to make cuts.

You start finding ways to make less cars at more money per car if you have to sell tons of them at a loss.

My hopes is bigger subsidies so Tesla can raise the prices of the cars.

• Love
Reactions: sammyfan711
At SR+ prices and the inherent benefits of pure EVs I don't think they need to make any more price cuts. The other EVs on the market all have to play catch up for the next 3-5 years. As new customers are in the market for a new car they will be forced to consider an EV and when they do Tesla will pop up to the top of the list.

9 more days until something may change. The wait is killllllllllllling me

What are you anticipating? You could probably go negotiate a no charge paint color or wheel upgrade right now vs. waiting for July 1st. Why would they discount the car anymore than the the tax credit delta of $1875? They keep removing content from the cars so even if they drop the price a little now, they removed the Homelink, Nema-14-50, USB cables. SRs have no floor/frunk mats, streaming audio, live traffic, disabled speakers and no subwoofer. I wouldn't be surprised if the Aero covers and mobile chargers become optional soon. :D

What are you anticipating? You could probably go negotiate a no charge paint color or wheel upgrade right now vs. waiting for July 1st. Why would they discount the car anymore than the the tax credit delta of $1875? They keep removing content from the cars so even if they drop the price a little now, they removed the Homelink, Nema-14-50, USB cables. SRs have no floor/frunk mats, streaming audio, live traffic, disabled speakers and no subwoofer. I wouldn't be surprised if the Aero covers and mobile chargers become optional soon. :D

I agree all indications are price increases are coming (other then white paint!) I think one of OP's poll options should be price increase!

Last edited: