Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Model 3 Projected 0-60 Times

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Would be nice if Tesla could offer a post-purchase options and feature service center upgrade, available after the tax incentive ends. Switch out the base motors, invertors, suspension bits for the "P" components. Shame that the early adopters can't get the car they want.

I was actually thinking the "P" option might be software un-lockable on a M3. I don't know if the M3 uses the same drive units as the new MS75, but if it does, with the same battery capacity, it would be significantly quicker because of the weight difference. It's possible that on the M3 75, you'll be able to unlock higher performance just as a software option, which would be great for early reservation holders. It's not like other manufacturers where the high performance version has a lot of mods (suspension, brakes, etc.). As far as I know, Tesla P cars just have a bigger rear motor and the fancy contactors. PURE SPECULATION of course:)

Don't you think EM has a lot to be proud about seeing we've reached the point when his environment friendly, super clean, super silent EVs are now getting compared very favorably against heavy polluting street racing macho cars. A decade ago the sort of buyers getting these gas guzzlers would have laughed off at the idea of being outrun by a super silent and comfortable family EV. I think EM deserves a Nobel prize for getting us to where we are right now.

Reactions: ikjadoon
I was actually thinking the "P" option might be software un-lockable on a M3. I don't know if the M3 uses the same drive units as the new MS75, but if it does, with the same battery capacity, it would be significantly quicker because of the weight difference. It's possible that on the M3 75, you'll be able to unlock higher performance just as a software option, which would be great for early reservation holders. It's not like other manufacturers where the high performance version has a lot of mods (suspension, brakes, etc.). As far as I know, Tesla P cars just have a bigger rear motor and the fancy contactors. PURE SPECULATION of course:)
Heck no, there will be a dedicated P motor.

Heck no, there will be a dedicated P motor.

There very well could be, but I'm not sure there needs to be. It looks like they are very wary of having the M3 approach the MS in performance. I'd think the M3 could easily get into the mid 3s if it has the same DUs as the base S. I'd love to see a full spec P75DL M3 that could rip off 2 second zero to sixty runs, but I doubt they'll let it threaten the Model S's supremacy. I will be supremely happy if the regular 75D is faster than my Model S (5.2 seconds).

• Funny
Reactions: FlatSix911
There very well could be, but I'm not sure there needs to be. It looks like they are very wary of having the M3 approach the MS in performance. I'd think the M3 could easily get into the mid 3s if it has the same DUs as the base S. I'd love to see a full spec P75DL M3 that could rip off 2 second zero to sixty runs, but I doubt they'll let it threaten the Model S's supremacy. I will be supremely happy if the regular 75D is faster than my Model S (5.2 seconds).
We know Model 3 will have ludicrous mode and approach Model S performance already. I wouldn't call 3+ seconds ludicrous mode.

That'd be called insane mode (3+ seconds) the first ludicrous was 2.8 seconds.

I'm well aware of that. I have a ludicrous MS. This is a different model thus ludicrous can be 3 sec for M3.
I think you might be disappointed if you're thinking there is going to be a sub 3 sec version. I ordered M3 for the wifey.

I see 5.6 standard
4 sec performance
3.5 insane
3 sec Ludicrous
as the benchmark for the M3

• Funny
Reactions: FlatSix911
You can disagree if you like... rumors said some of the Model 3 prototypes achieved 2.x second 0-60 times.

Maybe they will purposely slow it down so you feel better about your ludicrous Model S. ;)

ZERO % chance the model 3 is ever
You can disagree if you like... rumors said some of the Model 3 prototypes achieved 2.x second 0-60 times.

Maybe they will purposely slow it down so you feel better about your ludicrous Model S. ;)

ZERO % chance
Tesla has a model 3 production car that will be released with a 0-60 time anywhere near 2 seconds during the next couple years. 3's is what you can expect for 3DL. Book it