Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Model 3 RC sightings

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
This is interesting short clip of two model 3s driving pass what seems to be a dash cam for a bike.
Whats interesting is that 1: I don't think this clip has gone public and 2: this may the very first clip where you can hear the sound of the electric motors as it drives by

I ride a bike and I think it's just a sound from front brakes, it sounds a bit weird maybe due camera, mic and maybe some housing.

That's strange, you said you ride a bike.... Do you often hit the front brakes during a turn... ? :eek:
That's a great way to drop a bike if you do that at speed.

I also ride a bike and YES I do use front brakes at that speed. I don't know the actual percentages but the front brakes do way more work. I also ride mountain bikes and the front brakes are critical to good stopping without skidding.

Back on topic, I'm at work and haven't listened to the sound but all the new carbon fiber rims have a whirring sound when braking. Could it be that?

I also ride a bike and YES I do use front brakes at that speed. I don't know the actual percentages but the front brakes do way more work. I also ride mountain bikes and the front brakes are critical to good stopping without skidding.

Back on topic, I'm at work and haven't listened to the sound but all the new carbon fiber rims have a whirring sound when braking. Could it be that?
I'll challenge you on a mountain bike to try an experiment. Ride the bike fairly quickly, push your left handlebar away from you to initiate a left turn such that you're leaning the bike... now hit the front brake hard and see what happens. (Hint: it'll slam you to the ground)

Sometimes it's called a "lowside crash". BMW bikes will actually detect a lean and will not allow you to hit the front brake hard. Ducati has a similar mechanism with a five-axis accelerometer.

Last edited:
I'll challenge you on a mountain bike to try an experiment. Ride the bike fairly quickly, push your left handlebar away from you to initiate a left turn such that you're leaning the bike... now hit the front brake hard and see what happens. (Hint: it'll slam you to the ground)

Sometimes it's called a "lowside crash". BMW bikes will actually detect a lean and will not allow you to hit the front brake hard. Ducati has a similar mechanism with a five-axis accelerometer.
Not to digress further from the topic, but I don't think he means to use the front brakes only or significantly. I think he means a combination of the front and rear brakes together, hence why they said "percentages" meaning some percent front and some percent rear brakes.

Reactions: MountainRatMat
I ride a bike and I think it's just a sound from front brakes, it sounds a bit weird maybe due camera, mic and maybe some housing.
I ride a bike too, an electric one at speeds higher than this video. That sound is the brakes, there is no question in my mind.

Plus from the guy's other videos, he's likely riding a carbon-fiber road bike here... that's what they sound like.

-Jim

The scene across the street from the entrance to Tesla HQ on Deer Park Road. ;)

u140273646-o151125537-53.jpg

That's strange, you said you ride a bike.... Do you often hit the front brakes during a turn... ? :eek:
That's a great way to drop a bike if you do that at speed.

I have GSX 1250FA and yes, I do use front brakes during turn. I don't hit it hard, just use it (cuz I don't ride fast and cuz engine braking is very strong on this engine) and they make very noticeable sound, so I still think it's not Model 3 motors.

I'm glad we're all in agreement that it wasn't the cars... I'm still interested to know if Tesla is going to implement a low speed pedestrian sound or will they wait until it's actually required by law.

I think some kind of low volume honk would be useful in a mall parking lot, especially when people are walking in front of you not knowing that you are behind them.

I think some kind of low volume honk would be useful in a mall parking lot, especially when people are walking in front of you not knowing that you are behind them.
More worried about fools err "unobservant people" in dark parking garages walking between the cars. It'd be strange to design a car that's original ramp up was supposed to span over the time where the law changes (Sept 1st 2019) and not have it included in the original design. This is why I'm wondering if anyone has heard anything while around them moving slowly. Of course, they could simply have the hardware in place and enable it later via software.