Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Model 3 RC sightings

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
1-IMG_9746-001.JPG

So why cover it during charging? What are they trying to hide? The cars driving around they don't attempt to cover anything. It's more than just a generic cover also, what with zipper access for the door and charge port. Thoughts?

The conspiracy theorist in me says "if that's true, they would just cover the screen - they must be hiding something amazing that we haven't seen yet!"
We'd need more Ohio spy shots to confirm. I think the California ones are actually RCs but the Ohio ones are not release candidates, but the final design (or at least as close to final as possible before you waste money on crash testing).

We'd need more Ohio spy shots to confirm. I think the California ones are actually RCs but the Ohio ones are not release candidates, but the final design (or at least as close to final as possible before you waste money on crash testing).
Shouldn't the release candidates and final design essentially be the same? Other than fit and finish and maybe less hand-built, I would think the design would be the same.

Reactions: MP3Mike
Essentially, yes.

Release Candidates <-- plural
There are slight differences in some of the RCs we've been seeing.
What are the differences? Other than wheels, I think they have all been the same. Okay, the very first black one had non-production intent headlights and there was the supposed C-pillar sensor (which I'm convinced was just a sticker), but other than that I'm not aware of any differences.

What are the differences? Other than wheels, I think they have all been the same. Okay, the very first black one had non-production intent headlights and there was the supposed C-pillar sensor (which I'm convinced was just a sticker), but other than that I'm not aware of any differences.
We have seen different wheels, brakes, panel fit changes etc etc. Each one is slightly different.

Reactions: JeffK

The two blue ones had different headlights as well
model-3-rc-blue-2.png

blue-tesla-model-3-side-2-apr-25-17.jpg

It'd be strange to have tape on both sides of the vehicle in the same spot and one and have one look like it's got a camera behind it:
Model-3-Camera-compare.jpg

That latest blue one though... almost NSFW. :D

The two blue ones had different headlights as well
model-3-rc-blue-2.png

blue-tesla-model-3-side-2-apr-25-17.jpg

It'd be strange to have tape on both sides of the vehicle in the same spot and one and have one look like it's got a camera behind it:
Model-3-Camera-compare.jpg

That latest blue one though... almost NSFW. :D
Nothing looks different to me with those headlights. The black one had cloudy looking, off-white, almost yellowish lenses that look like they were rapid prototyped. These look like the production ones to me.

I stand by my belief that is still not a senor/camera and just a sticker. Lighting and camera effects can trick the eye into what it wants to see. I see a sticker :p Besides, I find it highly suspect since we have seen no other car have these. Having it on just one doesn't make sense.

Yea. The differences aren't even worth mentioning. Every car ever seen has basically been the same as the last

Nothing looks different to me with those headlights.

There's an orange strip in the top pic.

I stand by my belief that is still not a senor/camera and just a sticker. Lighting and camera effects can trick the eye into what it wants to see. I see a sticker :p Besides, I find it highly suspect since we have seen no other car have these. Having it on just one doesn't make sense.

That's exactly my point, each car is a little different. The white model with the roof racks also had a weird metal thing near the fog lights.

• Funny
Reactions: AssortedBread
I have a simple explanation... they don't want people seeing the range yet.
On the Model S, the dash doesn't display anything if you aren't next to the car with the fob. The 3 likely behaves the same way. Thus, the range wouldn't be visible.

I suspect they had it covered it because they don't want people taking pictures of the inside still (another thread quoted a driver of an RC vehicle saying exterior pictures were OK, but interior shots weren't).

Reactions: DavidP