Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Model 3 RC sightings

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
The Model S has a AP2 camera in that spot. I would assume that's what it is on the Model 3.
No. The Model S does not have a camera on the C pillar.

I suspect they had it covered it because they don't want people taking pictures of the inside still (another thread quoted a driver of an RC vehicle saying exterior pictures were OK, but interior shots weren't).

All the spy pics of the interiors look nearly identical to the alpha... no one has gotten a clear shot of the display in an RC.

Ah, I those were pictures of the B pillar. Looking at the pictures again, I see I was wrong. But those look just like the AP2 cameras on the B pillar!
Sort of, the cameras on the B pillars are set in oval shaped openings. That car looked like it had both B pillar cameras and something going on with those rectangular shaped openings on the C pillars (or they were pieces of tape for no particular reason).

What has been different with the brakes? Panel fit is not a design change, that is just bad assembly :p
different front brake components, some like the rear, some more finished.
Panel fit is exactly the sort of thing that is supposed to be sorted at RC stage, the so called "bad assembly" is why we see those differences.
We have seen different ride heights for each wheel size as well.
This is all the tiny change tweaks that needs to be sorted out before they make 200K (or 500K) of them - hence them being called RC's and not production cars.
RC's aren't where design changes are made, it all really subtle. Which means we are seeing the final polish being incrementally applied.
Take a look at the panel gaps on the first RC's we saw compared to the more recent ones - a huge improvement.

Reactions: JeffK
So why cover it during charging? What are they trying to hide?
the interior. I think we still don't know some crucial and surprising details

I did see a picture a week or two ago where someone caught a Model 3 charging in a garage. It had the dash and screen covered but not the exterior.
Yes I recall that as well. Hiding interior details.

Of course neither is actually plugged in. :confused:
Testing AI based idle fees. If the cameras detect you are parked at ANY charger and there are no open charging spots nearby Tesla charges you Idle fees (and with FSD drives away to a nearest non-charging spot). They needed 2 Model 3's or else the other spot would be free and the algorithm would not kick in (no idle fees if there are open charging spots). :cool:

Screenshot_20170607-213819.png
It looks amazing with the dark wheels

Last edited:
Reactions: WarpedOne
Nothing looks different to me with those headlights. The black one had cloudy looking, off-white, almost yellowish lenses that look like they were rapid prototyped. These look like the production ones to me.

I stand by my belief that is still not a senor/camera and just a sticker. Lighting and camera effects can trick the eye into what it wants to see. I see a sticker :p Besides, I find it highly suspect since we have seen no other car have these. Having it on just one doesn't make sense.
The red one had the sensor/camera/sticker in the C-pillar too. It's not only the early black one.
#Model3 on fire:D
View attachment 226599
from Instagram

Reactions: JeffK
this is only on the white RC model with roof racks.
I don't know where all the sensors are, but if you are going to use the stereo effect of spaced cameras to create depth perception for the vehicle control system, it would help to have some distance calibration data to the corners of the vehicle.

That central payload on the roof rack had ports on each face - large enough for a sweeping beam.
The fog light addendum could house a receiver. The pair could range find creating a data set to calibrate the multi-camera images.

Once this calibration is done, the stereo spacing of cameras will provide range information, with no need for a LIDAR.

... These door handles could also be narrower than what is seen on the RCs.

Screen Shot 2017-06-08 at 7.06.48 AM.png