Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Model 3 RC sightings

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Observations. The employee threw his tesla jacket of the screen, so sadly no snooping there.
The photographer has posted additional photos on Reddit and in some of them you can see the jacket was covering both the display and the steering wheel (hmm... what could be so secret about the steering wheel?). Also, some nice shots of the open charge port. The Model 3 was at Harris Ranch.
Look what I spotted! • r/teslamotors

The photographer has posted additional photos on Reddit and in some of them you can see the jacket was covering both the display and the steering wheel (hmm... what could be so secret about the steering wheel?). Also, some nice shots of the open charge port. The Model 3 was at Harris Ranch.
Look what I spotted! • r/teslamotors

DAMN! What a great find!

image.jpeg
Looks like there's still a fitment/gap issue over here. In all of the RC sightings, this is one of the first areas that I look at. Seem like they may be having some issues trying to get the trunk part to match up with the roof pillar.

Not sure those are fitment gap issues - depending on how the hinge works.

They might be bent (or deflected) sheet metal/plastic (whatever the trunk lid is made out of) issues.

Looking at the left edge of the trunk lid as it approaches the rear glass, there is not enough section stiffness in the part that covers the strut.

There are two solutions:
  1. Add a tab. That means do some sort of tab in slot arrangement that forces alignment at that tip of the trunk lid - a likely source of squeaks unless some sort of bushing is used. This counts as 'make the hinge better at aligning.'
  2. Add a piece of carbon shaped like a C channel to provide stiffness while still clearing the strut when closed.
Here is a bad idea, that maybe Tesla folks can turn into a good one.

At this point, a replaceable tooling post added to the car (like a strike plate, maybe integrated into the attachment point of the strut) and something on the deck lid that aligned off that, and maybe provides stiffness. There is lots of depth for section stiffness near the base of the rear glass.

I don't know, but maybe by pretending to know, territorial behavior will cause action.

It is worth adding $13 to the cost of the car to line up those front deck lid seams. Normal ways won't work because the deck lid is not normal.

Last edited by a moderator:
@AssortedBread haha that's me! I'm WattLOL on Reddit. I posted all the photos on Reddit and Imgur already.

Feast your eyes!

Great shots!

These two were particularly interesting.

The close up of the charging port.
Screen Shot 2017-06-10 at 6.18.17 AM.png

And the wheel caps on the original unveil wheels.(black vs carbon) Plus the 20 (inch?) temporary written marks on the wheels indicating size.
Screen Shot 2017-06-10 at 6.18.59 AM.png

Great shots!

These two were particularly interesting.

The close up of the charging port.
View attachment 230679

And the wheel caps on the original unveil wheels.(black vs carbon) Plus the 20 (inch?) temporary written marks on the wheels indicating size.
View attachment 230680
On the charge port it looks like there is a cover placed around the port?
To maybe hide something?
What does everyone see?

To me it looks like a temporary cover