Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Model 3 rear/back rattle

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I've noticed a rattle that has started to develop when going over severe bumps. It appears to come from the back/rear area. It is not the latch to fold the rear seats down as I have already put foam in place (learned that one early). Just checking to see if anyone else has any ideas of places to check. It's hard since I am usually driving so I can't go in the back seat and check. It definitely sounds metallic and it definitely sounds internal, not external.

What is the flufferbot?
On Tesla's earnings conference call for 2 May 2018, Elon noted that Model 3 production over the past few months had been hampered by Tesla’s over-reliance on automation.

Specifically, they had these fibreglass mats on top of the battery pack (basically fluff) for soundproofing, and Tesla spent a lot of time trying to automate the placement and bonding of the mat. Turns out, robots are not great at picking up pieces of fluff. Human hands are way better. And it turns out the fluff didn't really dampen sound that much.

So, no more flufferbot.

On Tesla's earnings conference call for 2 May 2018, Elon noted that Model 3 production over the past few months had been hampered by Tesla’s over-reliance on automation.

Specifically, they had these fibreglass mats on top of the battery pack (basically fluff) for soundproofing, and Tesla spent a lot of time trying to automate the placement and bonding of the mat. Turns out, robots are not great at picking up pieces of fluff. Human hands are way better. And it turns out the fluff didn't really dampen sound that much.

So, no more flufferbot.

It might not dampen road noise but it does keep the car from sounding like a cheap toy.

I've noticed a rattle that has started to develop when going over severe bumps. It appears to come from the back/rear area. It is not the latch to fold the rear seats down as I have already put foam in place (learned that one early). Just checking to see if anyone else has any ideas of places to check. It's hard since I am usually driving so I can't go in the back seat and check. It definitely sounds metallic and it definitely sounds internal, not external.
Link to the foam trick?

I have a rattle noise on ruff roads and bumps that sounded like it is coming from the rear of the car and I may have solved part of it.

I wrapped some electrical tape around the metal bar for the trunk latch and the rear seat latches. Not a permanent fix but I feel like the latches are crap or already wearing out. The noise is gone or greatly reduced now.

• Informative
Reactions: Vern Padgett
My the other Model 3 that has been returned was making rattle sound from the rear, too.
It was coming from one of the trunk lid hinges where the adjusting bolt touch.
I attached electrical tape on the hinge where the bolt meet, and no more rattle sound.

Attachments

• _1250371.jpg
    _1250371.jpg
    220.9 KB · Views: 324
  • _1250372.jpg
    _1250372.jpg
    206.8 KB · Views: 288
  • _1250373.jpg
    _1250373.jpg
    126.6 KB · Views: 281
  • _1250374.jpg
    _1250374.jpg
    174 KB · Views: 290
  • Informative
My the other Model 3 that has been returned was making rattle sound from the rear, too.
It was coming from one of the trunk lid hinges where the adjusting bolt touch.
I attached electrical tape on the hinge where the bolt meet, and no more rattle sound.
Interesting, I was messing with my hinges too, if you loosen the hinge bolt at the lid, you can adjust your panel alignment. It might also fix the rubbing issue on the hinge but I'm not sure. I don't think mine is rubbing there.

Maybe an easier fix would be adjust the stopper knobs to prevent the hinge from rubbing on that bolt?

Interesting, I was messing with my hinges too, if you loosen the hinge bolt at the lid, you can adjust your panel alignment. It might also fix the rubbing issue on the hinge but I'm not sure. I don't think mine is rubbing there.

Maybe an easier fix would be adjust the stopper knobs to prevent the hinge from rubbing on that bolt?

Yes, you can fix the rattle by adjusting the bolt. However, I don't want to mess with the panel gap and want to keep thread lock on the bolt.

Yes, you can fix the rattle by adjusting the bolt. However, I don't want to mess with the panel gap and want to keep thread lock on the bolt.
The stoppers will adjust how high the trunk sits, it might not rub if it was adjusted to sit just a mm or two higher.

I'm sick of messing with this stuff, but I think the electrical tape over the latch bars does seem to have solved it for me. Unfortunately, that means I'll need to keep tape-ing them from time to time I guess :(

• Informative