Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Model 3 Rear Ended

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Cars are very squishable now. They make them squishable on purpose, so that the car squishes instead of you.

Totally get that --- guess I usually ascribe airbag deployment and/or frame damage, flood damage, with cars declared a total loss -- not rear quarter panels/trunk lids ( "fender benders")

How much you want to bet the offending car isn't totaled? ;)

What did your car look like under the bumper? Mine has a hole in it... I can see the ground from inside of the trunk. There is also a dent above the rear wheel on the quarter panel from the back of the car being pushed forward into itself. Also the picture of the trunk seal, the seal is creased, the seal is still properly installed onto the metal. Its not the seal that is creased, its the trunk opening.

The 12V did not cut out. The HV did but the 12V did a day later due to not being topped up by the HV system.

I do not want the car back after the damage done. If it was just the bumper and the trunk lid then sure but the unibody structure underneath has been damaged.
There was a hole in the floor pan. It is a part that can be replaced. Like you I had a hole in the bumper and you could see damage to the floor pan/trunk (same as your picture) and I could see the ground through the trunk. Like I said, there was nothing back in that area that impacts the car. I was able to still drive it without an issue. But I did have damage to the same area as you.

The only difference is that my HV did not cut out and I was able to still drive it. My only point is that structurally I think it will be cheaper to repair than for the insurance to call it a total. The only unknown is the electronics if your HV cut out. Not sure how much damage that portends to the battery system. No matter what, good luck.

If the other car had AP on this would not have happened...
Probably not true. AP has a hard time reacting to stopped or stationary objects from high speed as has been evident from recent noteable crashes being reported (read recent tesla/fire truck crash). That is apparently how the system was designed or it would never work to begin with (at least in today’sIteration of the software). AP can read objects that are changing pace in front and adjust accordingly but does not expect or understand a stationary object to be positioned on a highway right in front, that is where the manual monitoring comes in to take back control and make a decision for the vehicle.

Reactions: PoitNarf
Really glad you are okay, thus far anyway. It makes me mad that someone else’s inattention causes harm to another.

My Tesla sales guy mentioned that about AP...but isn’t that where the anti collision system comes into play? I’ve had a car pull in front of me, brake , and my non Tesla car slammed the brakes on. The car was in adaptive cruise control. If the idea is to maintain a distance of 25 feet from the object in front of you it doesn’t seem like it should matter whether the object is moving or stationary. Radar signal bounces back a target whether it or you are moving (on ships anyway). I’d love to understand the engineering a bit better if anyone knows why the tech functions as it does.

The car that hit you is one weird looking Tesla. I'd almost say it's not a Tesla but as we all know from reading news, only a Tesla will hit stationary objects.
It’s not a Tesla that hit him. The white Tesla he was referring to was the one in Seattle that was involved in a pretty significant accident on the highway a few days ago. This one looks like a white Ford Fusion or similar.

Really glad you are okay, thus far anyway. It makes me mad that someone else’s inattention causes harm to another.

My Tesla sales guy mentioned that about AP...but isn’t that where the anti collision system comes into play? I’ve had a car pull in front of me, brake , and my non Tesla car slammed the brakes on. The car was in adaptive cruise control. If the idea is to maintain a distance of 25 feet from the object in front of you it doesn’t seem like it should matter whether the object is moving or stationary. Radar signal bounces back a target whether it or you are moving (on ships anyway). I’d love to understand the engineering a bit better if anyone knows why the tech functions as it does.

It's not the braking in response to an object slowing part that's hard.

The part that makes stationary cars problematic is the defining of the objects.

Tesla is using chirping continuous wave radar to do adaptive cruise and emergency braking, with limited sensor fusion with the AP camera's neural networks.

Continuous wave radar is constantly putting out a signal. The computers analyze the frequency shift to determine the relative velocity of anything it bounces off of, and direction finding on the return for azimuth (and ascension if they measure that.)

To get distances, the radar chirps - twenty times per second, it does a frequency hop and then it listens for how long it takes the reflected signal to hop.

So in this scheme (very common in automotive radar,) objects are recognized by their Doppler shift (relative speed to the car,) and then assigned a direction and distance by further analysis.

But there are a whole lot of things in the world that don't move but do reflect radar. Enough that even if the car wanted to track them all, it's doubtful that the direction finding part could build an accurate picture. What's more, the strength of a radar return doesn't necessarily have much correlation with an object's size - geometry and materials make a huge difference.

So the solution for first generation systems was to just throw out all the stationary returns. That's why those systems can't work all the way to a stop or start again from a stop.

Second generation systems use memory as well - objects that were identified by Doppler shift which then come to a stop are remembered and it tracks them as they get closer through the chirp timing. This lets the car do full stop and go in adaptive cruise, but it still can't see a stationary car unless the car was moving earlier.

Tesla went a step further. The neural networks analyze the camera image and identify things that look like cars. The car then does some sort of sensor fusion negotiation to mark them as objects even though they were always stationary - azimuth matching on the chirps, maybe?

This usually allows the Tesla to see and correctly respond to stopped cars in the lane that it never saw moving, but it depends on the network seeing the car's image. Which may be why most of the cases we see in the news have been odd angles and unusual paint jobs (bright red fire truck at a thrity degree angle to the road with flashing lights that change its profile) - they are harder for the neural network to see as cars.

One additional path forward Tesla said they were starting implementation on a couple years ago but I've never seen evidence actually happened is the radar whitelist. The theory was that the cars would collect a list of things they saw that looked like cars but don't cause the driver to react, geotagged and categorized for strength. At some point in the future, Tesla would declare the list mature and the cars would download tiles for the areas they are driving in - and start braking for large stationary returns that aren't on the list until drivers override it. I have seen the car brake for no apparent reason near things that could confound it, but they haven't been new things, so they should have been on the list if Tesla has deployed a list.

One possible brute force solution to the problem with firetrucks and police cars would be to push a red hands takeover immediately when the car sees flashing red lights.

There was a hole in the floor pan. It is a part that can be replaced. Like you I had a hole in the bumper and you could see damage to the floor pan/trunk (same as your picture) and I could see the ground through the trunk. Like I said, there was nothing back in that area that impacts the car. I was able to still drive it without an issue. But I did have damage to the same area as you.

The only difference is that my HV did not cut out and I was able to still drive it. My only point is that structurally I think it will be cheaper to repair than for the insurance to call it a total. The only unknown is the electronics if your HV cut out. Not sure how much damage that portends to the battery system. No matter what, good luck.

Oh good to know! Thank you for sharing that info with me. Makes me thing it might not get written off after all. Time will tell.

My HV cut out because safety systems were activated. I actually have the logs from the car and every impact sensor in the car went off and its showing battery pack voltage mismatch, pyro fuse faults, and charge port faults.

Got the repair quote a few days ago. $13,248 for the repair but no time frame has been given.

I am hoping that the accident does not go on the cars record. If it does ill have to go through the trouble of filing for a diminished value claim.

I did get a chance to check out the facility that is doing the repair and I have no doubt that it will be done correctly and in high quality. They were doing some impressive work there.

Reactions: fseir
I noticed in your footage that you were not at a complete stop when the car hit you, or were you coming to a stop? Or were you rolling/starting to drive at a slow speed? One of the things I feel might confuse non-Tesla owners is the one-pedal driving. Were you on the brakes- indicating to the driver behind you that you were in fact stopping or slowing, or were you letting the car slow down itself with re-gen braking- so that the driver thought you were moving but then realized at the last second that you were approaching way to suddenly because you were slowing down without any brake light indication?

I guess my concern is, if you are slowing down because of the re-gen braking when letting off the accelerator, does it indicate to the driver behind you that you are braking? I have placed my order but this is my main concern with driving with 'one-pedal'.

I noticed in your footage that you were not at a complete stop when the car hit you, or were you coming to a stop? Or were you rolling/starting to drive at a slow speed? One of the things I feel might confuse non-Tesla owners is the one-pedal driving. Were you on the brakes- indicating to the driver behind you that you were in fact stopping or slowing, or were you letting the car slow down itself with re-gen braking- so that the driver thought you were moving but then realized at the last second that you were approaching way to suddenly because you were slowing down without any brake light indication?

I guess my concern is, if you are slowing down because of the re-gen braking when letting off the accelerator, does it indicate to the driver behind you that you are braking? I have placed my order but this is my main concern with driving with 'one-pedal'.

Coming to a stop. I was on the brakes very lightly. The car was to the point where regen was not able to slow down any further. There was a stopped car in front of me waiting for cross traffic to turn into the parking lot. The car that hit me was very far behind me when I got to a slow enough speed that they should have noticed me if they were paying attention. The driver was obviously not looking ahead.

AFAIK regen braking lights the brake lights same as regular friction brakes, so other drivers shouldn't be confused about you slowing down? I don't know if the brake lights stay lit if you're stopped though.

The brake lights function during regen the same as if you were using the pedal. Regen will not bring the car to a complete stop so once your doing about 8 mph the car will stop decelerating (except rolling friction from coasting) and turn off the brake lights. The brake lights function perfectly fine during regen as to not cause accidents. There should be no worry about it at all.

Glad you're ok but I would be cautious about the injuries you suffered. It may take time for the full impact to be felt in various symptoms.

I had a similar rear-ender with my S. Driver on a phone slammed into me at a red light. Said she was distracted by my license plate.o_O

There's more and more of this every day. There should be a severe penalty for this kind of thing. Distracted driving is irresponsible and life threatening. Another reason why FSD on all cars will improve safety.