Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Model 3 release and testing

Are you comfortable with the Model 3 being shipped without Beta testing as is being discussed

• Yes

• No

Results are only viewable after voting.
This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
It's not that testing isn't being done but how they are classifying the current build based on its initial quality check when coming off the line. In past models, they were not to the level of quality the 3 is currently at until after the 'beta' phase.

So to answer this poll, we must concur with your statement that there is no beta testing? No thanks.

No "beta models". Not no "beta testing". Your poll is based on a false premise.
How do they conduct beta testing if there is no beta model to test? The way I understand it, they were looking for a beta prototype to base the beta models on and decided that "this thing is so good we can skip this entire step in the process". I'm not implying that no testing is being done, just not testing that would normally be done on beta model, or is it believed they will perform tests on the release candidate that they would normally perform on a beta model?

Last edited:
How do they conduct beta testing if there is no beta model to test? The way I understand it, they were looking for a beta prototype to base the beta models on and decided that "this thing is so good we can skip this entire step in the process". I'm not implying that no testing is being done, just not testing that would normally be done on beta model, or is it believed they will perform tests on the release candidate that they would normally perform on a beta model?
Instead of building beta cars by hand they are producing cars just like the end user Model 3 will be produced. And those are the ones that are used for testing.

It depends on what you call beta testing. If you mean testing the mostly hand built cars that are made with a mix of production level and beta level parts - then yes I'm fully comfortable, we won't miss it at all. If they can skip that and move right to testing actual production builds using all production parts then that saves time and money.

If you mean fit and finish testing, crash testing, wear and tear testing, usability testing I'm sure they're going to do all that testing anyway, regardless of what they call the car.

So it depends on if beta tests run against beta models are simply to get to the release candidate stage, or if they are tests whose results can be carried forward. If they are used simply to determine a release candidate, there will be no beta testing and the poll question is valid as worded. What the OP intended the question to mean, only they know. ;)

Last edited:
So it depends on if beta tests run against beta models are simply to get to the release candidate stage, or if they are tests whose results can be carried forward. If they are used simply to determine a release candidate, there will be no beta testing and the poll question is valid as worded. What the OP intended the question to mean, only they know. ;)
However, the inclusion of the word "comfortable" gives the impression that OP thinks Tesla may be riskily skimping on the amount of testing they will be conducting before rolling the car out to consumers.

Reactions: S'toon
However, the inclusion of the word "comfortable" gives the impression that OP thinks Tesla may be riskily skimping on the amount of testing they will be conducting before rolling the car out to consumers.
You don't have to decide to skimp on testing to end up with an inadequate product. You can decide- as Tesla apparently has- to release early production cars into a very, very benign environment: namely, employees in California. How directly equatable this select group will be to buyers in harsher, less forgiving environments (hotter, colder, wetter, saltier) might just have to be discovered along the way.
It's a pretty safe approach when selling an iPhone (though apparently not a Samsung). It's a riskier approach when selling something that could fail to prove functional and durable at one end, or injure/kill people at the other.
The good news: we'll all find out pretty soon now.
Robin

Hmmm, where to go to test cars in frigid weather from April - July?
In the Musk biography, they talk about shipping the Model S alphas to various testing teams, including cold weather, so I assume that's what they did with the 3. This is important, because even though I live in Florida, I can't wait to start my drive at 7pm and have the car take over during the night on long trips around the US, including cold weather locations!

In the Musk biography, they talk about shipping the Model S alphas to various testing teams, including cold weather, so I assume that's what they did with the 3. This is important, because even though I live in Florida, I can't wait to start my drive at 7pm and have the car take over during the night on long trips around the US, including cold weather locations!
How valid are those types of tests run on those cars? I'd feel better if they performed them on the current build. My lack of knowledge of this process annoys me. :mad:

Instead of building beta cars by hand they are producing cars just like the end user Model 3 will be produced.

Not quite. It said the cars are being built with "Production Tooling". That can mean a prototyping production line with temporary equipment. It's Tesla...frankly it could mean anything they want it to mean. I find it very, very doubtful that it means that they have the production line ready, just "like the end user Model 3 will be produced". I would guess they are a long way from this.

Somebody over on Reddit said it best....all this noise over no beta means "they ran out of time...".

Reactions: 1 person
It's truly puzzling and amazing how you ppl take anything Elon say as gospel. It's truly astonishing for a guy with 0% batting average.

He can literally wake up tomorrow and tweet that he will demo a flying car using anti matter and you ppl will lap it up. No matter how illogical and irrational it is.

It's truly mesmerizing.