Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Model 3 removes from my Tesla app

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Thanks. That fixed this issue completely.

On the Model S I left that on because otherwise the door handles take a while to open when I touch them (sometimes it takes several presses to register). On the Model 3 it does not seem necessary at all, since the door unlocks instantly when you push the handle to get the lever out.

THat's great to hear. My bedroom is directly above the garage, it'd be highly likely that the phone would keep connecting and disconnecting all night and the mirrors would keep folding and unfolding, like a big fat electric penguin flapping his wings, until one day when they just burn out :D

• Funny
Reactions: brkaus and Pkmmte
THat's great to hear. My bedroom is directly above the garage, it'd be highly likely that the phone would keep connecting and disconnecting all night and the mirrors would keep folding and unfolding, like a big fat electric penguin flapping his wings, until one day when they just burn out :D
It should definite save the mirrors a lot of wear, but the Model 3 may still be waking up all night, which could add a lot of vampire drain.

I found swiping left to make the App show our Model S's screen prevents the Model 3 from seeing my phone altogether.

• Informative
Reactions: SMAlset
It should definite save the mirrors a lot of wear, but the Model 3 may still be waking up all night, which could add a lot of vampire drain.

It'll be plugged in, I have no intention of being one of those weirdos who has to go to a supercharger locally once a week. Hard to imagine it putting more than a few cents into my bill from that.

I found swiping left to make the App show our Model S's screen prevents the Model 3 from seeing my phone altogether.

Yes, swiping to the S takes care of the 'wake up' problem. Of course if you don't have an S.........

Hah. Well, if it weren't for the 3 coming I'd have bought a new S (the S is "fine" but I definitely prefer the 3 even if I could get a brand new 100D for the same price), so I guess it could have happened in an alternate universe. Hopefully they'll adjust the sensitivity, or worst case scenario is that I'll put some appropriately-sized grounded brass mesh under my nightstand to block the 2.4ghz bluetooth.

Yes, swiping to the S takes care of the 'wake up' problem. Of course if you don't have an S.........

Maybe swiping to the power wall demo might work, I can't try that, since I have to go through the Model S to get to that screen.

for now, I think most current non employees with Model 3's are Model S or roadster owners. Tesla needs to sort something out eventually. A simple "disable phone as a key" button might work. Or maybe it can just not fully wake the car until the door handle is pulled.

Maybe swiping to the power wall demo might work, I can't try that, since I have to go through the Model S to get to that screen.

for now, I think most current non employees with Model 3's are Model S or roadster owners. Tesla needs to sort something out eventually. A simple "disable phone as a key" button might work. Or maybe it can just not fully wake the car until the door handle is pulled.

There are known and effective ways to lower the range at which it'll activate based on the bluetooth signal. This is a solved problem if they decide to do it.

There are known and effective ways to lower the range at which it'll activate based on the bluetooth signal. This is a solved problem if they decide to do it.
It's not just range; it's a matter of understanding intent. Someone walking towards a car may or may not intend to get into the car and drive off. Perhaps they are. Or perhaps they are just walking past the car to the tool shed it's parked next to. Unless you're proposing reducing the range to inches, reduced activation range is at best a hack, and doesn't actually solve anything.

When a car is parked at home, there really needs to be different action, something other than crossing some magic geo-fence line, to determine intent, and so proceed with unlocking and waking up. Pushing on the door handle would be a good way, probably the only way (given the lack of a key fob), to determine this.

It's not just range; it's a matter of understanding intent. Someone walking towards a car may or may not intend to get into the car and drive off. Perhaps they are. Or perhaps they are just walking past the car to the tool shed it's parked next to. Unless you're proposing reducing the range to inches, reduced activation range is at best a hack, and doesn't actually solve anything.

When a car is parked at home, there really needs to be different action, something other than crossing some magic geo-fence line, to determine intent, and so proceed with unlocking and waking up. Pushing on the door handle would be a good way, probably the only way (given the lack of a key fob), to determine this.

The trick is that it needs to connect via BT *before* you press on the handle, otherwise there will be a very frustrating lag. I know this, because my car sometimes doesn't unlock until I press the open button and then it connects to my fob and then unlocks. Using a closer range to begin a user-opaque wakeup sequence that doesn't commit to anything more than being ready to initiate the door popper would be a good combination.

Hey Bonnie, I'm assuming your sister took delivery through your reservation right? I'm doing the same for my parents and wondering how we can get them on another account. Did you just ask them at delivery?
Yes, it was under my reservation.

1) Have your parents set up their own Tesla account, under their email.
2) When Tesla calls to schedule delivery, make sure they know you want your parents names on all the docs.
3) Take delivery.
4) After delivery, email [email protected] from your Tesla account connected email & provide:
-- your parent's Tesla account email
-- their phone number
-- and proof that the VIN is registered/titled in their name (I just took a photo of the sales doc)

It will take up to a week for the transfer to happen.

Yes, it was under my reservation.

1) Have your parents set up their own Tesla account, under their email.
2) When Tesla calls to schedule delivery, make sure they know you want your parents names on all the docs.
3) Take delivery.
4) After delivery, email [email protected] from your Tesla account connected email & provide:
-- your parent's Tesla account email
-- their phone number
-- and proof that the VIN is registered/titled in their name (I just took a photo of the sales doc)

It will take up to a week for the transfer to happen.

Thank you so much Bonnie!!!

Reactions: bonnie