Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Model 3 reveal lacking exciting details b/c they are still trying to anti sell it?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Confirmed in a live streams, card keys, the size of a credit card, and some quite amazing functionality on the screen. The AC/Heat vents are controlled by moving orbs on the screen with your finger, to adjust movement of air through the vents. There were some pretty amazing showings on some of the live streams, that Tesla should have had professional videos on for the reveal. It almost makes me think they are still trying to subtly anti sell the Model 3. Thoughts?

Reactions: ahaer
I don't think it was anti-selling. I feel it was just a different PR strategy. The fact that so many publications/media outlets had articles ready to go shows that this was definitely part of the plan. The other part, as you mentioned, was the live streams and the various YouTube videos that they essentially "allowed" today.

You learned far more from these outlets than Elon could've possibly been expected to deliver on-stage to a live audience today.

The event was big on anti-sell from my point of view, I was expecting an Apple-type of a product launch with demos. It's great that there are other outlets for the details and exciting news, but I wished that Tesla would have covered these. I do bet that it is a lot cheaper to get "someone else" to do your promotion work for you, as the product kind of sells itself. Still, I was wishing a professional product launch event, not this what we got.

Considering though that I won't see mine until 2019 (international deliveries start late '18) the upgrades list will go through few major overhauls before then, so the total relevant information content for me in this event was quite light. Confirmations for the basics are always good, definitely, but as my car's delivery is so far down the line, and considering Tesla's quick iterations, I might get something vastly different by the time I get to conf my car.

Reactions: boaterva
Honest question.. so, by "anti-sell", you guys mean by not providing details, it would encourage reservation holders or future purchasers to just say "screw it, I'll just get a Model S where I can easily find out how everything works"? Like, I wanted to see how the vents works. When they didn't talk about that at the event, I looked elsewhere (well, here). But at no time was I discouraged from continuing with my purchase.

Reactions: strykeroz
Honest question.. so, by "anti-sell", you guys mean by not providing details, it would encourage reservation holders or future purchasers to just say "screw it, I'll just get a Model S where I can easily find out how everything works"? Like, I wanted to see how the vents works. When they didn't talk about that at the event, I looked elsewhere (well, here). But at no time was I discouraged from continuing with my purchase.

If Elon went through all the amazing details of the Model 3, that info would be more readily available, and potential Model S buyers would be dissuaded a little.

Although you can find tidbits of info on the Model 3 in articles and videos out there, there's no 1 good place to get it, and only nerds like us are willing to research the information, so yes, it is a bit anti-selling.

I refuse to go to the model 3 page and look at all the specs.

Elon didn't mention them, so i'm getting another car.

Is something a 6 year old would say.

There was definitely a feel of an anti-sell, though the tone has changed a bit. I feel like the wait list is weighing on them pretty heavily. The Model 3 might be too popular for its own good at this point. I really think they feel--and have--made a great car, but talking about is sobered by the fact that there are going to be a lot of people who are going to have to wait a very long time.

I refuse to go to the model 3 page and look at all the specs.

Elon didn't mention them, so i'm getting another car.

Is something a 6 year old would say.
While that seems fair...why have a presentation for people to fly into? Some range figures were shown, and US base prices. What...else? We know what the car look like. Just a one-minute test drive would be reason to go there. Apart from wooing our prophet/god doing his stutter routine.