Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Model 3 Roof Rack Options

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I your particular case, since you already plan getting a receiver hitch, I saw recently a Model X with a single wheel trailer
used for carrying a washing machine. The single wheel was rotating by itself, so there is no interference when backing up.
It seems like this would be just as difficult to back up as a regular trailer. I'm sure it's much more aerodynamic than a roof rack though.

Looking closely to the Model 3 roof, I would apprehend putting anything in contact with the glass roof.

I can't wait for the future Model Y which will be more versatile than the Model 3.

In your particular case, since you already plan getting a receiver hitch, I saw recently a Model X with a single wheel trailer
used for carrying a washing machine. The single wheel was rotating by itself, so there was no interference when backing up.

Doing some Internet searches for 'single wheel trailer' I found some examples for such trailers:
1_wheel_4.jpg

(snip)

Cool find! Hadn't heard of something like that. I was thinking the Sylvan Sport Go Easy. But for everyday use in the winter, I really want a pod up there so my nordic skis can live in there (we head up for training for my kids 3 days per week + other family days). I don't see any reason why that roof couldn't hold a rack - Tesla recently bragged about the roof being able to withstand the weight of 2 adult elephants! Attached appropriately, there should not be any reason why a rack wouldn't work.

Well then I guess you just have to decide if you want a roof rack bad enough. Yakama make good product and as long as you put it on a clean car I don’t think it would do much damage. I’ve had that style rail mount but it was a long time ago and don’t remember it damaging anything. I would have no problem carrieing a ski rack or rocket box. Taller or heavier things may damage the seal but the the seals seem very stout so probably won’t.
image.jpg
There is plenty of space for the feet to go on the paint and the lip on the door jam seems large. It would have been nice if Tesla put mounts on this painted frame a al MB but they didn’t.

It seems like this would be just as difficult to back up as a regular trailer. I'm sure it's much more aerodynamic than a roof rack though.
The single rear wheel swivels, so you back it up as if it is not there. It tracks the car, you don't follow the trailer.

ISo now there is a real (non suction) roof rack option.
Yeah... "real" for me doesn't mean "non-suction" It means "not using clips into the doors and sitting on the paint."

Don't those go between the window and the door seals? Seems like a good way to damage the seals and scratch your paint.
While it does eventually damage the paint... and I don't like the door seals being deformed so much.... the real problem is that they're a PITA to get on straight and even each time. You either need to mark your car, or measure each time you install. Otherwise, they don't go on parallel, or you don't get them to the correct spread. I just *really* don't like clamp-on racks.

Reactions: Blue in NC
BUT - like you @EVnut , I'm not happy with the idea of these "clamp" style racks. You mention you have had Landing Pads added in the past? Aside from being on the car all the time, any other drawbacks? What do they use to seal the penetrations typically?
Exactly zero other drawbacks. The landing pad kits come with RTV silicone. I've had pads installed on cars for 15 years, through all manner of weather and near saltwater. Zero issues. It is the only way! Well, landing pads or tracks. Same attachment. Tracks are stronger and more versatile. Here are a few of my past installations.

See my Rav4 page here: Rav Rack
rav_rack14.jpg

See my Prius page here: Prius Permanent Rack Pads
yakima_pads03.jpg

yakima_pads06.jpg

Honda Civic. Also showing the actual towers and cross bars that attach to the landing feet of the two cars above.
civic_racks.JPG

I guess we are different in AK. I put a roof rack on a car and leave it there. It carries skis daily all winter then fly rods, dip nets, and hiking/camping gear daily all summer. For the most part I carry bikes on the hitch rack unless I need to haul more than 4.

• Love
Reactions: outdoors
We XC ski 3-4 nights a week and for that I need to carry 4 people and sets of skis. For alpine (W, SA,Su) is can be up to 8 pairs of skis so sometimes I’ll still need to take my Land cruiser ( getting 12-14 mpg hurts more now). For carrying skis I was considering the yakama ski to bike rack attachment

However I use a North Shore Rack for the bikes so I would have to buy and store another hitch bike rack that would only be used for skis... now I think I’ll go with the yakama baseline with (2) freshtrack-4 attachments.

Attachments

• upload_2018-11-14_7-36-49.png
    upload_2018-11-14_7-36-49.png
    1.3 MB · Views: 98
I was browsing the Yakima site and noticed that they now show StreamLine System compatible with Model 3. Asked support, they confirmed:

We have released the BaseLine fit for the Model 3. it will work on both the naked roof and the glass roof.
The fit uses a four pack of BaseLine towers and 2 sets of Base Clip 173 with a choice between any of our 3 crossbar types

That's great!!! That was the only thing holding me back from buying the Model 3 :)

We are a family with only 1 car so we need a roof rack to carry cargo box, skis, bikes and especially canoe and kayak. I have had that type of mount for the last 15 years on 2 different cars and did not have issues with the seal or the paint. Would have prefer some mounting point but this should do. Similar to coleAK I leave it on all the time but I do remove it if I don't need it for very long roadtrip so that is maybe once a year.

Would lke to see a video/picutre of installation as I am still not sure how it would fit... Usually it goes between the seal of the car body and the seal of the window frame but now it would go between the seal of the car and the window glass or does it clip above the glass? Thanks!

I would like to see a video/ picture of installation as I am still not sure how it would fit...
Usually it goes between the seal of the car body and the seal of the window frame
but now it would go between the seal of the car and the window glass
or does it clip above the glass? Thanks!

I don't think that the braces will interfere with the top of the windows,
the seal is quite large and there is no door window frame who could touch the braces.
Also, the windows are moving down first for about one inch before you can open the door.

What I more concern with is to determine where the base of the towers will be laying on the roof,
and in particular if there is any risk of a possible contact with the glass roof?

Here are the pictures that you can find on Yakima Website.
It seems that there are two ways to set the base of the towers.

1) In the case of the Honda Civic, the base tower covers both the side and the inside of the car roof frame.
The given references for the compatible covers are BaseClip 182 (front) and BaseClip 183 (rear).

baselinepicture1_1.1541526838.png

2) In the case of the Toyota Prius, the base tower seems to be away from the roof, witch is not as stable and sturdy as the previous case.
The given reference for the compatible cover is BaseClip 117.
redwoodsbike-41.1541526838.jpg

In the case of the Tesla Model 3, the given reference for the compatible cover is BaseClip 173.

There is no Model 3 pictures available and the BaseClips pictures are all generics and identical for each model,
and there is no detailed dimension information.

When looking at the Model 3 glass roof (see below), I think that a combination of both types would be preferable.

- I would choose the "Honda Civic" type for the front tower base, since the gap with the glass roof is wide enough,
because this solution offers more stability, and the front get most of the wind pressure.

- And I would choose the "Toyota Prius" type for the rear tower base, because the gap with the glass roof is smaller.

Rear Roof Gap.jpg

Since there is an REI store next to my home, I will look at the Yakima products and in particular the BaseClip 173.

I will try to make some measurements or even buy a set to test the fitting of the base tower near the glass roof,
and to look at the windows area to see how far away the braces will be from the top of the windows.

Last edited:
snip...
Since there is an REI store next to my home, I will look at the Yakima products and in particular the BaseClip 173.

I will try to make some measurements or even buy a set to test the fitting of the base tower near the glass roof,
and to look at the windows area to see how far away the braces will be from the top of the windows.

That would be so helpful @NeverFollow if you would be able to do that and report back with your findings! The nearest store to me is over 400 miles and 9 hours of driving away. I'd like a rack as soon as I can get one to avoid having skis in my new car that should show up next week.

That would be so helpful @NeverFollow if you would be able to do that and report back with your findings!
The nearest store to me is over 400 miles and 9 hours of driving away.
I'd like a rack as soon as I can get one to avoid having skis in my new car that should show up next week.
The REI store had only the Base Clip 182/183. I was able to take some pictures of the data sheet, the tower base, and the brace.

This type of Base Clip would not work for the glass version, but might be usable with the metal roof.

Yakima Base Clip 183 - Profile .jpg
Yakima Base Clip 182 - Base Padding Area  .jpg

The difference between the Base Clip 182 and the Base Clip 183 is only the length of the side brace covered with rubber (about 1" and 2")
Yakima Base Clip 182 - Brace Attachement .jpg

The Data Sheet included in the box don't provide too much information.

Yakima Base Clip 182 - Data Sheet .jpg
Yakima Base Clip 183 - Data Sheet .jpg

I tryed to order the is BaseClip 173 from the Yakima website but this component is not available.

• Helpful
Reactions: KootsChewt
I try to imagine the shape of the brace that could fit the model 3 roof to provide a good ancrage point.

I noticed that there is a 1" chrome molding on the side (almost vertical) and a 2" slanted metal part on each side of the roof.

image-jpg.352461
Tesla Model 3 - Roof Rack Location - 02 Roof Arch Above Door .jpg

But there is no metal part behind the chrome molding. There is only a large ruber molding
To find some metal part for the Yakima brace to provide a strong ancrage, the brace would need to have a very complex shape.

The following pictures are showing the roof arch from the outside of the car and from the inside, after removing the rubber molding.
Tesla Model 3 - Roof Rack Location - 03 Arch Without Molding - External View  .jpg
Tesla Model 3 - Roof Rack Location - 04 Arch Without Molding - Internal View .jpg
Tesla Model 3 - Roof Rack Location - 05 Arch Without Molding - Full View.jpg

At this point I am a little bit septical about how a brace could be used for finding a good ancrage
without touching and damaging the chrome molding?
(see the pictures above)

This might be difficult to explain, but the best way for the brace to be useful would be to put the brace under the chrome molding.
This would require removing the chrome modling.Then put the brace, and then put back the chrome molding.

In the case of the glass roof, I think that the rivedted solution mentionned earlier, might be simple and more sturdy, but require to drill some holes.

img_20180222_105645022-jpg.292929

Last edited:
Reactions: Blue in NC