Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Model 3 Roof Rack Options

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
These things take time. For one thing they may not have started development until recently. Even if they started a while ago, they have to create prototypes and test them under a variety of conditions including different load types, wind conditions, etc.

Fair. I put more blame (minor, but still) on Tesla for not properly socializing the roof rack mount design ahead of time. The mount point design must have been finalized 2+ years ago.

Fair. I put more blame (minor, but still) on Tesla for not properly socializing the roof rack mount design ahead of time. The mount point design must have been finalized 2+ years ago.

Can someone point me to official Tesla statement of roof rack support? Seems like maybe someone snapped a photo of a pre-preduction model testing a rack, and forums went speculation wild that it would be a supported feature.

Reactions: PaulS
Can someone point me to official Tesla statement of roof rack support? Seems like maybe someone snapped a photo of a pre-preduction model testing a rack, and forums went speculation wild that it would be a supported feature.

Almost every vehicle in production has some rack that will fit. As long as Thule and Yakima have the info they can make it work. Concern here is that Tesla has not been supportive and/or working with them.

Almost every vehicle in production has some rack that will fit. As long as Thule and Yakima have the info they can make it work. Concern here is that Tesla has not been supportive and/or working with them.
Well.... most of those production vehicles are "fit" with little clips that reach around the door seal. I can't speak for anybody else, but I'm looking for a solution that attaches properly without clamping into the doors.

That's what I'm thinking. I first saw the picture with the little V quite a while ago. Do all cars have that V cut into the glass? Has anybody ever figured out what configuration the hidden "mount" might be? I'm not quite convinced that these cars are actually coming with rack mounts just because of that one picture. Somebody by now would have created something to mount to those things.

Right?

I'm now seeing images from Yakima for a roof-mounted tent for the Model S. But nothing but crickets on Model 3 racks. I recently hunted around for that glass etch on my neighbor's 3. Found the etches. But can't find anything that would all me to fabricate a rack mount to fit.

I'm not sure what is meant in the FAQ about not posting "referral codes." If they mean I cannot post a link to a product we are discussing then I don't want to do that but that's kind of nuts. They can delete the post if I have committed a crime but I wanted to say that a kayak rack option matters to me as I decide on buying a tesla, and I'm running out of time to decide on a car. At this link -- EasyTop -- is a "UNIVERSAL" Yakima option that is said to work on a Model 3. Would it help with a lot of this? Is there really a solid v glass top option? I didn't know that. I want a car with all wheel drive and as much mileage as I can possibly get on a charge. I am not sure how the pads attach to the frame and whether it's by hooks or if you have to strap across the ceiling through the windows or something -- i doubt that would be the case.

additionally the yakima page has other "universal options" of storage cases that supposedly fit on top but in the photos they are attached to a rack, so i'm not sure how they would attach. You can see how the Easy Top would work though. I'm more used to Thule racks and accessories so this would be a major change for me. My favorite Thule rack was the pop off/keylockable racks for my 2005 CRV I replaced in 2013. By 2013 Thule didn't make the pop off rack for the CRV any more so I gave up and got a different car, as my CRV had been having all the engine mounts, made with gel, need replacing one by one anyway. I don't know what Thule is doing these days but I'm sick of the gas hogs sitting still at 22/28 and 25/30 and Trump talking of slowing down any advances in gas mileage. My current car is an oil guzzler too and I have to drive around carrying oil for my stupid Subaru. Never again will I buy into the Subaru hype. Yes it had a good rack that slides out of the way but that's not good enough. I wish I had just bought a Prius V wagon and attached a rack and never taken it off since I was warned when shopping for it that I wouldn't be able to take it off easily, which was the only reason I bought the Outback. Now I regret not getting the Prius and of course when I'm ready to replace the dinosaur Outback gas/oil hog it coincides with Toyota jerkishly yanking the Prius Wagon, which is the only prius i would have considered buying -- it is the right size.

None of the teslas are the right size for me - i want a hatchback the size of a prius V wagon or Accord wagon I used to have (before honda insisted on yanking that car from our buying options) or the size of a mini suv. But I do not want to spend $100,000 to buy it. The X was ruined by the wing doors that prevent a rack for my kayak. Otherwise it was the right size.

If I buy an expensive car like these S's and 3's is there something about them that definitely can last more years than a regular car? I normally had been replacing my prior cars at 150,000 miles because things start to fall apart at that time. Transmission, AC, engine mounts, front control arms, various expensive parts. How would you be able to just keep doing preventive maintenance to replace parts on the Tesla? Wouldn't extremely expensive parts start to fail after a certain number of miles or years and the repair costs become too expensive just like with a gas car? I do not fly and depend on the car to not fail me on a road trip and do all preventive maintenances.

Last edited:
I'm not sure what is meant in the FAQ about not posting "referral codes." If they mean I cannot post a link to a product we are discussing then I don't want to do that but that's kind of nuts.

A referral code in this case only means when a Tesla owner (S or X) refers another buyer, and receives money or other incentives for that. Links to product that are being discussed in threads are perfectly acceptable and appreciated!

At this link -- EasyTop -- is a "UNIVERSAL" Yakima option that is said to work on a Model 3. Would it help with a lot of this? Is there really a solid v glass top option? I didn't know that. I want a car with all wheel drive and as much mileage as I can possibly get on a charge. I am not sure how the pads attach to the frame and whether it's by hooks or if you have to strap across the ceiling through the windows or something -- i doubt that would be the case.

additionally the yakima page has other "universal options" of storage cases that supposedly fit on top but in the photos they are attached to a rack, so i'm not sure how they would attach. You can see how the Easy Top would work though. I'm more used to Thule racks and accessories so this would be a major change for me.

Now as for this "universal" option.... I could maybe see using that on a rental car (as they suggest!) but it is quite unlikely that I'd put something like that on my Tesla. I'm sure it has metal clips that conform "well enough" to the interior rain channels to hold it on. I pretty much stay away from any racks that clamp onto/into the doors, and rub on the surface of the car. I'm the guy who's much rather drill into the car once and do it right, than to rub the car all day.

Why not use a trailer hitch rack?
There are pros and cons to every method of carrying gear on a car. Because you are only asking for the cons of the trailer hitch:

1. Not a simple task to install the hitch, or lots of money for somebody else to do it.
2. Permanently adds weight to the car.
3. Your cargo (bicycle, etc) now becomes your car's first line of defense for bad drivers behind you... and when the car is driven in reverse.
4. A bike on a hitch rack is easier to steal than one inside or on the roof.
5. There is added rear-overhang that can cause problems with steep driveways or other dips.
6. Access to the trunk is more challenging.
7. Could potentially mess with the camera/sensor suite for various fancy self-driving functions? Surely the car now doesn't really know how big it is? May complain that you're about to hit your own bicycle every time you reverse?

There are plenty of benefits of using a hitch rack, but these are the negatives that I can quickly come up with.

Last edited:
There are pros and cons to every method of carrying gear on a car. Because you are only asking for the cons of the trailer hitch:

1. Not a simple task to install the hitch, or lots of money for somebody else to do it.
You install the hitch once. Then every time you put the rack on it's an easy process. Unlike a roof rack, which is always a pain to remove and reinstall. Which is why most people just drive around with ugly, loud, fuel inefficient roof racks on their cars even when they're not using them.
2. Permanently adds weight to the car.
A small amount of weight. But as I stated above, most roof rack users leave their racks on permanently, thus always causing drag and wasting fuel.
3. Your cargo (bicycle, etc) now becomes your car's first line of defense for bad drivers behind you... and when the car is driven in reverse.
Don't even know how to respond to that one.
4. A bike on a hitch rack is easier to steal than one inside or on the roof.
Untrue.
5. There is added rear-overhang that can cause problems with steep driveways or other dips.
Can't drive under low clearance with items on your roof.
6. Access to the trunk is more challenging.
True, but access to your items on the roof are a pain.
7. Could potentially mess with the camera/sensor suite for various fancy self-driving functions? Surely the car now doesn't really know how big it is? May complain that you're about to hit your own bicycle every time you reverse?
No sensor will tell you that your bike is on your roof rack when you drive into a garage. Ask me how I know.

I have contemplated roof racks and hitch racks many times. In the end I have chosen roof racks, because they served my needs. But that doesn't mean they don't have plenty of disadvantages of their own.

Having said all of that, I have struggled for years with the disadvantages of both, and I recently tried out what I believe to be a great compromise (for my needs, anyway). SeaSucker

Check 'em out. Pretty cool. They can be installed on practically any car in two minutes, and removed in less time. They can be carried in your trunk. They'll work on the glass roof of the Model 3 without any brackets or modifications.

Reactions: NeverFollow
Well, damn. I tried so hard to make it obvious that there were advantages and disadvantages to every way to carry gear... and that I was only answering the question about "why not use a hitch?"

I suppose it would have been better to mention up-front that I prototype and custom-build hitches and bike racks? And I have a web page on the pros and cons of every way to carry bikes on a car? I also "steal" bikes every week (condoned by my city's police department as a public benefit)–I've "stolen" at least 500 bikes by now. Tomorrow I'll add 20 more to the total.

You install the hitch once. Then every time you put the rack on it's an easy process. Unlike a roof rack, which is always a pain to remove and reinstall.

If you install roof rack anchors correctly, roof racks are not a pain to install and remove. Proper roof racks (cross-bars) take about as much time to install as buckling a seatbelt. And the installation of the anchors is much less involved, and much cheaper than installing a hitch on a model 3.

Don't even know how to respond to that one. (in reference to the damage that can happen to a bike on a hitch-mount)
If you haven't seen the result of a rear-end collision when the front car had a bike on a hitch rack, then I can see how it would be difficult to respond.

Untrue. (in reference to a bike in a roof rack being more difficult to steal than one on a hitch rack)
I do not know what you base your response on, but I base my comment on direct experience of stealing bikes, and on having had bikes stolen. Everything is easier to accomplish when hidden between cars, at waist-level, than reaching over your shoulders with whatever tools you plan to use for cutting a lock. I'm happy to hear of your contrary experience.

Can't drive under low clearance with items on your roof.
Correct. And this has nothing to do with the disadvantages of hitch-mounts.

True, but access to your items on the roof are a pain.
Correct. And this also has nothing to do with the disadvantages of hitch-mounts.

No sensor will tell you that your bike is on your roof rack when you drive into a garage. Ask me how I know.
1. I don't need to ask. There are obvious disadvantages to roof-mounts, and I have broken bikes and bike carriers here as proof.
2. The sensors I'm talking about are the factory ones that Tesla needs to function for future Full Self Driving, and proper Advance Auto Pilot functionality. I'm not talking about any sensors that tell you where your bike is, nor how to keep the bike safe.

I have contemplated roof racks and hitch racks many times. In the end I have chosen roof racks, because they served my needs. But that doesn't mean they don't have plenty of disadvantages of their own.
I have extensively studied and used all methods of carrying bikes in, on, and behind cars that I'm aware of. They all have advantages and disadvantages. There is no one best option. Everything depends on circumstances and desires. Several of the commercial options available to purchase have my input baked into them.

Having said all of that, I have struggled for years with the disadvantages of both, and I recently tried out what I believe to be a great compromise (for my needs, anyway). SeaSucker

Check 'em out. Pretty cool. They can be installed on practically any car in two minutes, and removed in less time. They can be carried in your trunk. They'll work on the glass roof of the Model 3 without any brackets or modifications.
I am familiar with SeaSuckers, and I see many advantages on cars that do not have anchors. Cross-bars with proper anchors bolted to the car are still faster to mount (after the anchors are installed), more secure, and never leak vacuum. There is currently a kick-starter campaign trying to build a new version of the suction concept. They claim (of course) better functionality and lower cost.

I had RackNRoad in Sacramento install a roof rack. They riveted mounting pads onto the metal roof rails. Works great for Bikes and kayaks.

View attachment 292928 View attachment 292929
Ah hah! I was driving my Model 3 through Placerville last weekend and I think I spotted your car with a playboat. I'm a boater too, and I have been eagerly awaiting a rack solution that is not a SeaSucker. I was freaking out, even considering following you, haha.

Reactions: ELECTRIC4ME
I just bought SeaSucker’s Monkey Bars for my 3, and then found this thread! I like these bars, but so far have just driven with them with now cargo (as a test). Wind noise is bad from these round bars.

Also, I realized that they’re not secure and in two seconds a pair of people could remove the bars and ski box in one swoop! I ordered SS’s trunk clip to use a lock but we’ll see if I like it or if it even works in the 3.

And of course there’s the uncertainty of having this load on the glass...

I’ve made a hitch that uses the Model X removable receiver and that’s at least good for my bikes. (Message me if this might be of interest to you.)

I plan to try to decide quickly if I’m going to return the monkey bars!