Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Model 3 RWD: Frunk Replacement for more Storage

Would you like a bigger Frunk on the RWD?

• YES

Votes: 102 87.2%
  • NO

Votes: 15 12.8%

• Total voters
This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Great idea. Likely not very practical because of the plumbing that was NOT optimized for the RWD variant. If the aftermarket "kit" re-routed the necessary items to make way for a cavernous frunk, it would likely impact warranty of effected systems. Shame because I'd LOVE a bigger frunk!

I thought about this in mid 2018 when I took delivery. It would be really nice to have a real grocery space like the s. I figure the main reason this didn’t happen is that it would probably lead to fewer dual motor sales. No one really needs the dm unless you have slippery roads.

There would be no excuse not to add this on the model y given their expected volume. It would be one more reason for me to get a rwd y vs the coming completion to go with my 3... I don’t need dm here in CA and I don’t see replacing my snow, mountains camping 4wd ice with any Tesla anytime soon.

• Love
Reactions: beachmiles
Great idea. Likely not very practical because of the plumbing that was NOT optimized for the RWD variant. If the aftermarket "kit" re-routed the necessary items to make way for a cavernous frunk, it would likely impact warranty of effected systems. Shame because I'd LOVE a bigger frunk!

Warranty gone. Would like to create a tetris themed frunk. Drop in with a bend, or snake like. Willing to move some things that could be moved. Dream would be a spare, but don't see that working.

If you put a spare there, might it affect crash worthiness ?

Sure it would. There is a motor now in this spot for many. Designed at this time to move down if I am correct, and out of the way of cabin. Just like how the tires split off in a crash rather than pushed back into the cabin area. All changes are subject to risk. Would have to look at the angle of the tire and its direction. Always glad to try something.

Here's a photo of the cavity from a different angle (port-side wheel well) that I took today while the wheel was off. Looks cavernous.
View attachment 394871
My feet and legs are getting cold again driving long distance in cold weather. Anybody thought of filling up the underfrunk cavity in front of the foot wells for better thermal insulation and keep warm feet and legs in winter?

CE0BD134-4718-43D3-87DC-1D61488A5AC8.jpeg

Reactions: Jedi2155
My feet and legs are getting cold again driving long distance in cold weather. Anybody thought of filling up the underfrunk cavity in front of the foot wells for better thermal insulation and keep warm feet and legs in winter?

View attachment 736092

Sorry for the quick side-bar....

That's interesting. My feet actually get too hot while driving.

Do use auto HVAC? I do not. In the winter I only have the front defrost vents on, temp between 65-70 depending on the outside temp, and fan on low.

I've also made little vent deflectors out of duct tape to redirect the floor vents up into the cabin vs down onto my feet.

Also, the service center can adjust the heat balance on the vents. Maybe yours isn't putting enough heat to the floor?

Sorry for the quick side-bar....

That's interesting. My feet actually get too hot while driving.

Do use auto HVAC? I do not. In the winter I only have the front defrost vents on, temp between 65-70 depending on the outside temp, and fan on low.

I've also made little vent deflectors out of duct tape to redirect the floor vents up into the cabin vs down onto my feet.

Also, the service center can adjust the heat balance on the vents. Maybe yours isn't putting enough heat to the floor?
Thanks for the side-bar. I will fit those vent thrusters as I just noticed there is indeed hot air down there but a cold draft from under the seat is chilling my legs

Just resurrecting this thread to say that this cavern behind the cooling system is unreal.

I have a RWD M3 and have been having A/C issues. Turns out a rock was kicked up, went into the cavern, and lodged itself into the radiator fan causing it to fail. Of course it's not covered by warranty and is costing $500 to replace.

I just think it's ridiculous that tesla did nothing to shield the front components from debri that can be let in because the lack of a front motor. I may put some chicken wire or something in there to keep this from happening again. So frustrating.

Just resurrecting this thread to say that this cavern behind the cooling system is unreal.

I have a RWD M3 and have been having A/C issues. Turns out a rock was kicked up, went into the cavern, and lodged itself into the radiator fan causing it to fail. Of course it's not covered by warranty and is costing $500 to replace.

I just think it's ridiculous that tesla did nothing to shield the front components from debri that can be let in because the lack of a front motor. I may put some chicken wire or something in there to keep this from happening again. So frustrating.
Almost class-action lawsuit worthy.

If you're worried about debris and damage getting in, maybe get an inexpensive grille insert as discussed here: