Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Model 3 software different from MS/X?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.

T34ME

Mar 31, 2016
Inland Empire
I am confused. Is the software for the model 3 U.I. different from the MS/X? Do each of the models have a unique set of features that don't necessarily apply to other models? For example, does the model 3 currently have the "easy entry/exit" feature that was just released for MS/X?

The software builds are definitely different, though i'm sure they share similar packages. Tesla probably builds certain features trying to be as "model agnostic" as possible, but with so many differences it is hard to have exactly the same code work on different models.

Also, the UI is definitely different on the 3 since you only have that one LCD and don't have the gauge cluster for other info.

Also different hardware. S/X are on an Nvidia (Tegra I think) and 3 is on Intel. Very possible they are completely different builds. Wondering if the S/X may go that way as well. Fragmentation is a real challenge with cars this high tech.

I’m no expert so I certainly welcome any corrections to my info above.

Also, the UI is definitely different on the 3 since you only have that one LCD and don't have the gauge cluster for other info.
And, the orientation of the LCD on the 3 is landscape, while it's portrait on the S and X.

And, even a bunch of wiper functions you have to select/activate on the touchscreen, unlike on the S and X.

AFAIK, there are a bunch of other things that are unique to the Model 3, like how you direct the air vents via the touchscreen.

OP can look at anything related to the touchscreen in the manuals that have appeared online (e.g. Tesla Model 3 owner’s manual leaks in full and Tesla Model 3 Owners Manual Hits Internet In PDF Form).

A few months ago, old software was missing FM radio and Bluetooth streaming: Tesla Model 3 currently has no FM radio and no bluetooth streaming. The 2nd video still works but the 1st one was mysteriously (?) pulled down.

There are numerous other things that have to be different such as most/all of the Model X door UI shouldn't exist on the 3. Anything regarding auto-present door handles shouldn't apply to the X or 3.

Last edited: