Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Model 3 Software Update 2018.44.x

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
5AFBBF21-62D6-4CC6-8D3C-DBF8914B0238.jpeg

Just got 44.2. Noticing that the scheduled charge is now showing up correctly in the app but now it’s telling me the cable may not be plugged in correctly and it doesn’t appear the cable locks into the port on the car anymore unless it is actually charging. Anyone else seeing the same thing?

UPDATE: i was able to get it to lock but only after going to the car, taking scheduled charge off so it started charging, and then put scheduled charge back on. Bug report also submitted.

Last edited:
Happy Thanksgiving to all Americans! I'm on a cruiseship in the Caribbean and while waiting for our table to be ready I was notified that there was a software update available. Went onto the app (via cruiseship satellite WiFi) and I initiated the software update. We have Google wifi set up at home so have priority to the Tesla connection. Download took only 25 minutes. Was notified that update was completed.
Just mind boggling they I can be on a cruiseship in the middle of the Caribbean and initiate a software update to a car!

My release notes Includes optimizing window position for cold weather, I wonder what that means exactly?

Also, no track mode in my P3D-. :(

I assume that means that it doesn't roll the window all the way up so that even if it is frozen it will open easier without damaging something. And maybe it doesn't engage the charge port locking pin when the cable isn't attached.

I was quite surprised to get a software update notification on Thanksgiving. If I were managing update deployments at Tesla there’s no way in hell I’d be deploying any updates on Thanksgiving. Anyway I just installed the 2018.44.2 update a short while ago and also saw the note about “Cold Weather Improvements”. I wonder exactly what they changed with that.

Just got 44.2. Noticing that the scheduled charge is now showing up correctly in the app but now it’s telling me the cable may not be plugged in correctly and it doesn’t appear the cable locks into the port on the car anymore unless it is actually charging. Anyone else seeing the same thing?

UPDATE: i was able to get it to lock but only after going to the car, taking scheduled charge off so it started charging, and then put scheduled charge back on. Bug report also submitted.

How it seems to work is if you plug in when the car is locked, the plug will stay unlocked and you can hear a constant click from the charge port. If you plug in while the car is unlocked, the port will lock after about 30 seconds. I am also submitting a bug report. Doesn't make sense.

Reactions: Moeshorzon
Both logical possibilities!

From my own testing, the window closes as normal then drops 1-2mm, releasing it from the inside of the top seal. It is still sealed around the sides of the window, just not the top edge.

When my windows froze (a couple times this year) it was the bottom seal that was the real problem. Pre-heating in -5c weather, it thaws after about 15 minutes. I'm not sure how this helps.

How it seems to work is if you plug in when the car is locked, the plug will stay unlocked and you can hear a constant click from the charge port. If you plug in while the car is unlocked, the port will lock after about 30 seconds. I am also submitting a bug report. Doesn't make sense.

To edit this, the port then unlocks itself again after some time. So unless charging, the port is always unlocked.

I just got 44.2. I went to charge after and the locking pin in the charge port was jammed in the locked position. It also kept making a sound like it was trying to cycle but was stuck.

After hard booting the car (didn’t help), I found another thread which described how to unlock the port. I wound up using the manual release which is in the trunk behind the charge port. You’ll find a little square cut out of the fabric and toggle. Pull the toggle and it releases the lock.

Attachments

• 05CFF926-FE24-4557-A408-50AB4B10F357.jpeg
    05CFF926-FE24-4557-A408-50AB4B10F357.jpeg
    594.2 KB · Views: 69
  • A4734267-7011-456B-8752-08A0639E7D9A.jpeg
    A4734267-7011-456B-8752-08A0639E7D9A.jpeg
    538 KB · Views: 77
Question:

The manual states the best thing for the car is to always be plugged in when possible. I believe this was due to the trickle-charge of the 12v systems via the wall connector. When I plug in my wall connector before the update, it would lock and engage as if the car is drawing some current. Now without the lock, the wall connector doesn't engage.

Is this not bad for the overall system operation and battery life?

Question:

The manual states the best thing for the car is to always be plugged in when possible. I believe this was due to the trickle-charge of the 12v systems via the wall connector. When I plug in my wall connector before the update, it would lock and engage as if the car is drawing some current. Now without the lock, the wall connector doesn't engage.

Is this not bad for the overall system operation and battery life?
My concern as well; if you haven’t already make sure to submit a bug report. And to answer your other question mine did unlock after some time as well. But at least the white light is not on anymore.

Last edited:
Reactions: eric1856
My concern as well; if you haven’t already make sure to submit a bug report. And to answer your other question mine did unlock after some time as well. But at least the white light is not on anymore.
Just noticed on the release notes that there were “Cold Weather Improvements” that include “...charge connector locking behaviors...”. I wonder if what we are experiencing is expected and designed to help with the icing of the charger lock mechanism?