Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Model 3 Software Update 2019.5.x

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Anyway, on-topic: looks like more 2019.5.4 are trickling out on TeslaFi. Hoping this version has fewer bugs and can prompt a bigger rollout.

I looks like the 2019.5.3 beta test folks are the ones getting upgraded to 2019.5.4, not any new "random" folks like some people have said. It's the natural roll-out of beta test until they shake out the bugs until they can finally do a rolling release like they are with 2019.4.2, now 2019.4.3 like they are doing with S/X. Let's hope it comes out soon as I have a trip to a crime ridden area and I'd like to have Sentry released by then so I can feel safe that the alarm is working like it should, like when a window breaks.

I looks like the 2019.5.3 beta test folks are the ones getting upgraded to 2019.5.4, not any new "random" folks like some people have said. It's the natural roll-out of beta test until they shake out the bugs until they can finally do a rolling release like they are with 2019.4.2, now 2019.4.3 like they are doing with S/X. Let's hope it comes out soon as I have a trip to a crime ridden area and I'd like to have Sentry released by then so I can feel safe that the alarm is working like it should, like when a window breaks.

It isn’t a beta test. It’s called progressive rollout, and when you find an issue along the way, you can stop and fix it before going forward.

But all the "influencers" and Tesla themselves have billed this as a released feature. Why is being truthful such a hard thing to do? Call it released to beta testers and it'll be out soon, not "Tesla releases....". I'm all for rolling releases, but Tesla stop the lying.

You still don't seem to get it.

This IS how release works. It IS rolling out. This slowness is part of the rolling process. These first versions - .5.1, .5.2, .5.3 - none of them could have happened until the new .5 version was released and began rolling out.

I understand that you don't get it, but repeatedly calling them liars doesn't make that true. You're just re-emphasizing that you don't get it.

I'm not saying you have to like rolling releases. I'm not saying they're not frustrating when you're waiting for something you want. I'm just saying that's simply how it works, and it's silly to keep claiming they're liars based on your 1990's-style understanding of software releases.

The reason they are updating 2019.5.3 cars to 2019.5.4 is not because they are beta testers, it's because they found issues with 2019.5.3 and need to fix it for the cars on that version.

I don't know what issues they found with 2019.5.3 but let's say hypothetically, you were one of the first to get an update and the update is causing your streaming to no longer work so the roll out stopped. They do a quick patch for the issue, would you want them to roll it out to other cars or would it make more sense for them to patch your car first?

I am not in the early access program and there have been times I have received an update within the first day it started rolling out and other times it feels like everyone else received it before I got mine.

Let's analyze this for a second, I know in the grand scheme of things it really doesn't matter, nobody cares about truth they just care about what they can spew on the internet (case in point, the autopilot jail thread, one guy suggested that we shouldn't inject facts, just trick people into dancing around the car). We're calling this a rolling release, where Tesla sends out to the fleet at large, let's say 10-15% of the fleet in batches. They keep this up until everyone gets the release, or they stop and restart once they fix any last minute bugs. This is what is currently happening with Model S/X and version 2019.4.2. Now look at Model 3 with the 2019.5.x "rollout". A random selection of all Model 3 owners, which just happens to all be "randomly" selected in California, especially those updated to 2019.5.4 updated today. Plus looking at YouTube, somehow this group of people just magically and randomly received the update, just in time for press. This group comprises less than 2% of the total Model 3 fleet (the percent average from TeslaFi is a good marker regarding the entire fleet, even though they don't include everyone, we're talking averages here). What you're saying is that Tesla changed how they do rolling releases with the Tesla Model 3 and now send it out in 1-2% batches.

Does it really matter? Not really, we all have to wait anyways, and I guess Tesla can do no wrong. Is 2019.5.x released like people are saying? It's released to testers. I'd like to see somewhere, anywhere where non testers have the features and are posting about them, but it can't be done because it's not in general release. It's a great feature for a great car (I love my Model 3), but it's been touted as already in our vehicles protecting us which it is not and may not be for weeks to come given the reported bugs. Heck, I'd sign-up for the beta if I could but you can't, you can't even request releases. Anyways, go forth and believe whatever you want. I'll keep watching the same 1.8% of the Model 3 fleet getting each bug fix during the beta test, and then suddenly hundreds of updates will happen and the percent install base will change in batches signaling a rolling release to the public. It's not like people believe in facts anyways nowadays, so carry on.

So P3D- getting a lesser track mode that required software changes is confirmed, eh? :)
No my belief it that the Track Mode software is the same. They are just saying that your car won't perform as well with lesser tires and lesser brakes which is obvious. It is up to you to upgrade those and then Track Mode will operate on par or even better than the P+ depending on the quality of parts you replaced.

No my belief it that the Track Mode software is the same. They are just saying that your car won't perform as well with lesser tires and lesser brakes which is obvious. It is up to you to upgrade those and then Track Mode will operate on par or even better than the P+ depending on the quality of parts you replaced.

Wrong. Track Mode will perform the same way. YOUR CAR will perform better with upgraded brakes and tires. The software does not know what you have on the car for grip and stopping. It reacts to conditions, not equipment.

I wouldn’t use Microsoft as a role model for software releases. Sure they have a consistent schedule, but some of their updates/patches have been buggy as hell as of late.
The feat Microsoft has to accomplish to do what they are doing is about 1000 harder than Tesla. Tesla has three known and very similar hardware configurations S, X, and E. They totally control the hardware. It has no third party software or drivers it has to be compatible with. It is so much easier its not even in the same league. And the distributions are so small something in the order of 300,000 vehicles.

Microsoft has to deal with an infinite number of possible hardware configurations they have no control over, a gigantic number of third party drivers. They have to maintain compatibility with all software ever released going back to the '90s or earlier. Different CPU architectures 32bit, 64bit with different instruction sets like ARM, AMD, Intel. 1.5 billion people run Windows. Imagine that distribution nightmare. Their insider program (customers who opt in to be beta testers) is probably larger than Tesla's entire distribution. Yet personally I feel, as the head IT guy of a small enterprise running a Microsoft shop, overall Windows has gotten less and less buggy over the years. I still maintain Tesla has a lot to learn from them.

I got 5.4 this morning. It was an update to 5.3, which I got five days ago. That was an update to 50.6, which I got on 1/24. No, I'm not a beta tester or anything other than an an ordinary owner. I've never gotten a release this early before in 4.5 years of Tesla ownership. And I doubt I will again if Tesla decides on the basis of people seriously testing their software, since I haven't even tried any of the new features.

Anyway, this is the same way releases of new Tesla updates always happen. They're incremental. When an update has either a serious bug or too many bugs (I'm guessing) they stop the release and put out something newer, making sure to update all of those affected by the bugs.

Does anyone know if there was a new set of Map updates today?
Map updates? Does Tesla actually download maps locally to the car? It doesn't seem so to me. Every time I go anywhere where there is no cell service the maps drop out leaving me with no navigation. I wish they did download at least the state you live in so this wouldn't be such a big problem.

Wrong. Track Mode will perform the same way. YOUR CAR will perform better with upgraded brakes and tires. The software does not know what you have on the car for grip and stopping.
Maybe you misunderstood what I said because we said the same thing in different words. My quote was: "my belief it that the Track Mode software is the same." So we agree. The software it self will operate the same and adapts to the parts on your car but if you do have inferior parts the performance will be less until you upgrade those parts and then the software will adapt to allow you to take advantage of the better parts.
It reacts to conditions, not equipment.
Obviously Track mode can not see the equipment you have but it will adapt and behave differently based on road conditions and your equipment. Those two together are seen by the car as one thing. Track Mode reacts on the behavior characteristics of your car -- parts being one of those inputs because they change the way the car performs.

My point was that there is no special version of Track Mode for P+ and P-. The software is the same however the software was always designed to adapt based on its sensor inputs.

Map updates? Does Tesla actually download maps locally to the car? It doesn't seem so to me. Every time I go anywhere where there is no cell service the maps drop out leaving me with no navigation. I wish they did download at least the state you live in so this wouldn't be such a big problem.

Offline maps are used for navigation, online maps are what is displayed on the screen.

Here is my general comments on 5.3 and just got the 5.4 upgrade. Look the same with regards to the update notes.
My only feedback with 5.3:

1. Dashcam memory stick needed to be formatted again. I noticed the date of the files were are not correct on the 5.3 recorded videos from the three cameras. .
2. When in Sentry mode, I opened my trunk (with my phone in my pocket) to load my groceries and after closing it the alarm went off. I did the strut auto lift change to my trunk, so it requires more force in closing it now.
3. Pain to turn on Sentry mode , menu >>> Security ... scroll down ... manually turn on one time. Nice to have it more easily accessible outside of the menu like the dash cam icon or have the setting in the menu to be always on or off. Having the option to turn it on with the phone app would be nice also.

Can't complain since it's better than not having it !!!!

Offline maps are used for navigation, online maps are what is displayed on the screen.
That's stupid. Why not use offline maps all the time when there is no service. When I go driving for fun in the mountains I don't have navigation set because I don't have a destination. However I don't want to end up in a dead end or on a one way gravel road as I have found myself often because of this bad map design.

I'd like to see somewhere, anywhere where non testers have the features and are posting about them, but it can't be done because it's not in general release.

Interesting that multiple normal people here are reporting about the release... So I guess it can be done.

I got 5.4 this morning. It was an update to 5.3, which I got five days ago. That was an update to 50.6, which I got on 1/24. No, I'm not a beta tester or anything other than an an ordinary owner. I've never gotten a release this early before in 4.5 years of Tesla ownership.

Here is my general comments on 5.3 and just got the 5.4 upgrade.

Reactions: MentalNomad
That's stupid. Why not use offline maps all the time when there is no service. When I go driving for fun in the mountains I don't have navigation set because I don't have a destination. However I don't want to end up in a dead end or on a one way gravel road as I have found myself often because of this bad map design.

I think the issue is that Google doesn't license their maps for offline storage/usage. Tesla could probably display a map based on their own maps that are designed for navigation uses, but it probably wouldn't be pretty. (And they probably don't think it is worth the effort.)

• Informative
Reactions: DDotJ