Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Model 3 Software Update 2019.5.x

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I'm glad it does since if it was me I'd forget to set it, and then while I was far away from my vehicle it would dawn on me that I forgot to turn on Sentry mode.

Definitely seems like a no-brainer addition that many were asking for/expecting, I was just surprised it came relatively quickly.

So is the protocol to turn SM off via app when you get back to the car after shopping? I had read slamming the trunk before you open a door could set off the alarm? Or does SM automatically turn off when it detects a key?

changing lanes isn't wrong, but swerving into contact is. Since Tesla didn't give us the LEDs on the inside of the mirror housings like Audi, I'm ok with it beeping to tell me there's something in my blind spot.
If its a pleasant chime and not one of those strong "you messed up" chimes, like when it detects eminent forward collision, then that's fine. There should be a different sound for warning then for taking immediate action.

I also got the 2019.5.4 today and posted a short video of the new 3-camera TeslaCam dashcam comparing it to cheap aftermarket dashcam. See it here.

Thanks for the video. For some reason I thought the Tesla Dash can would use the B Pillar cameras for wider front view, not the fenders. Hopefully eventually they can enable all cameras for the dash cam to use, but I’m not sure what kind of limitations might exist for that.

Reactions: McFlurri
In previous times it has followed exactly like you said. A few releases of small sizes followed by much larger releases. This time there is so much of an emphasis on California that it's indicative of something else going on.

But, we can reasonably ballpark it at around 25% as Tesla sold more Model 3's in California than anywhere else. So that means Tesla has around a 20% install rate of Sentry Mode in California. That's an awful lot of cars for a software development effort (to look for bugs, etc).

.5.4 looks like a California special:

Screen Shot 2019-02-24 at 7.42.11 AM.png

I've been a Tesla owner since 2015, and an update has never been like this.

In previous times it has followed exactly like you said. A few releases of small sizes followed by much larger releases. This time there is so much of an emphasis on California that it's indicative of something else going on.

As of this writing around 4.4% of the entire TeslaFi Model 3 fleet has 2019.5.4. But, the TeslaFI fleet has cars that exist outside of the US and I believe the release is limited to the US for now. I'm assuming the Canadians complaining about the lack of Sentry mode is correct.

So that means the percentage is actually much, much higher for California. I tried figuring out how many California Model 3 cars are active on TeslaFI, but I can't find it.

But, we can reasonably ballpark it at around 25% as Tesla sold more Model 3's in California than anywhere else. So that means Tesla has around a 20% install rate of Sentry Mode in California. That's an awful lot of cars for a software development effort (to look for bugs, etc).

It's too early to tell if its been officially released in California (in an incomplete form) or they simply needed a LARGE sample size to get adequate measurement.

Having so many means Tesla is risking people having alarms going off, and the car getting a bad reputation. If there isn't enough then they under sample. I think it's important to emphasize that this feature is likely nowhere near as easy to implement (correctly) as it might seem. Like right now I believe you have to pull the stick to review footage if the alarm goes off. So at some point the video sample needs to be part of the push notification. Like my porch security camera does when it detects a human in my backyard.

This doesn’t change anything that I said. There are a bunch of reasons they may have decided to target the initial rollout to California. One could be that they have data or reasons to believe a new feature (like Sentry mode) would get more usage there, so they could release to fewer cars and still hit their needed amount of usage to validate the feature. Or there could be a regulatory reason. Or they’ve decided that they have better service/support options there if something goes wrong. That doesn’t change the fact that this is a typical deployment practice, and that it’s perfectly reasonable for them to pause the rollout while they fix issues, and then confirm they’re fixed before going further.

• Informative
Reactions: 12yan
When I'm driving I quite often will put my turn signal on a little before I'm planning to change lanes and quite often there are people in the lane I plan to go into. Just because they are in my blind spot doesn't mean I don't know they are there. I do want it to chime if I start to change lanes but I don't want it chiming everytime someone is there even if I have my signal on. Not sure how it's going to work but I suspect I will get used to it either way.

Is that the modus operandi for changing lanes in LA? My brother (bless his heart) lived in LA for years and he swore that the effective way to change lanes in LA was to put on your blinker for the lane you want to change to..........wait for three cars to pass you and then go into that lane? Of course the last time he tried that tactic, he ended up in a collision. Imagine that?

This doesn’t change anything that I said. There are a bunch of reasons they may have decided to target the initial rollout to California. One could be that they have data or reasons to believe a new feature (like Sentry mode) would get more usage there, so they could release to fewer cars and still hit their needed amount of usage to validate the feature. Or there could be a regulatory reason. Or they’ve decided that they have better service/support options there if something goes wrong. That doesn’t change the fact that this is a typical deployment practice, and that it’s perfectly reasonable for them to pause the rollout while they fix issues, and then confirm they’re fixed before going further.

For all sense and purposes it’s been released in Cali. There are also reports that all the known issues were solved.

The only point I was making is this is the first time there was so much emphasis on Cali with both the initial validation period, and the release. It makes sense though as the problem it’s trying to solve is so prolific in California. It seems like 90% of the window breakins are in Cali.

I’m sure Tesla had lots of business reasons for doing so, but I doubt they were SW development reasons.

With SW development you want it validated over a diverse regions. Both for the environmental reasons, but also behaviors of the locals.

You want to spread the impact so you don’t overwhelm service centers if an issue props up. Possibly regulatory issues as you mentioned. But, this is mostly applicable to releases outside the US. I’m not aware of any state that forbids dash cams.

I am curious to see how this release progresses.

Whether there is a pause in updates before it hits other states. Or whether it will go to a wide release immediately after Cali saturates.

• Informative
Reactions: APotatoGod
Is that the modus operandi for changing lanes in LA? My brother (bless his heart) lived in LA for years and he swore that the effective way to change lanes in LA was to put on your blinker for the lane you want to change to..........wait for three cars to pass you and then go into that lane? Of course the last time he tried that tactic, he ended up in a collision. Imagine that?

I don’t have a lot of experience driving in Cali, but from those experiences it’s a bit nightmarish.

In most other states a turn signal indication is “I think the coast is clear and I plan on changing lanes soon”. Where 2-3 seconds and changing lanes in nice smooth gradual motion (like auto-lane change does when it works) works out just fine.

In Cali it’s “I’m going to move over so get out of my way”. I absolutely have to drive more aggressively in Cali than WA.

In Cali it’s way more of a social negotiation than in WA. In WA people are so “Seattle freeze” that they’re like “I’ll just let you in so I don’t have to have this moment with you”.

In Cali you’ll get bullied if you’re not aggressive. Is it 2-3 seconds? It depends. The actual time is dependent on the negotiation.

What’s funny is I think Tesla is going to make driving easier in Cali. I know a Tesla driver is going to use TACC/AP so I’d have more time/patient to do a more text book lane change than a California lane change.

Except of course if they're not on Teslafi, and they don't live in Cali.

It's such a rare even that it's news worthy. Considering the odds of getting this update in Cali are low right, and the odds of getting this update outside of Cali is 1/35th of the odds of someone getting it in Cali.

Someone outside of Cali getting this (that doesn't already have a previous version of sentry mode, or is part of the early access program) would show that it's broken free.
Not sure I follow your logic. My point: TeslaFi will show what software updates its users get, Cali or not. Recently it’s been mostly Model 3s in California. Obviously it’s a representative sample, since not everyone is a member. But everyone can check the software stats, member or not.

Last edited: