Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

TeslaCam vs Aukey dashcam comparison

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I got the 2019.5.4 update today with the new 3-camera TeslaCam capability, so I decided to put together a couple of short comparison clips of the TeslaCam against a $70 Aukey DR02 dashcam.

The TeslaCam with the new software records with the narrow-view front camera and the two fender-mounted side-rear looking cameras integrated to the turn signal repeaters. The recordings are saved as separate MP4 files of 1280x960 resolution at 36fps, one file for each camera per minute.

The Aukey records in 1920x1080 resolution at 30fps, one file per 10 minutes.

I have combined them together into a 4k videos that you can view here:

Daytime

Night time

Hot take: TeslaCam front view is fairly narrow, but the side-rear views are wide and cover a lot. Most accidents should be visible except ones where all the action is in the 8-11 o'clock or 1-4 o'clock direction. The image quality is compressed and blocky with terrible color during the day, but surprisingly good at night. License plates at close range are readable. I'll probably continue to run my Aukey dashcam as well, so I have a much wider angle front view captured as well.

Thanks @Sam123 for the comparison video. I haven't used the TeslaCam feature yet. The TeslaCam at night is quite impressive. Color seemed off or not balanced in the daytime. Think that is just a matter of tweeking the software? I immediately recognized the DeAnza location footage and good to know that you got your 2019 software update just now and maybe mine will arrive soon.

BTW what capacity USB drive are you using? Haven't bought one for the car yet and not sure which way to go. With more cameras being added overtime, I'm thinking going to maybe 128GB for future expansion and the ability to "save" video files multiple times before transferring.

Hopefully they add the other two side forward facing cameras soon, and then we can get a program to stitch them together.

It would be nice if they added the rear view camera too. Speaking as a guy who got rear ended recently, it would be nice to have a nice clear image of the car’s license plate as it hits, just in case the dude or girl decides to try to run. The girl who hit me did the right thing, but not everyone does.

Reactions: JeffnReno
BTW what capacity USB drive are you using? Haven't bought one for the car yet and not sure which way to go. With more cameras being added overtime, I'm thinking going to maybe 128GB for future expansion and the ability to "save" video files multiple times before transferring.

A 32GB memory stick = 4.7 hours of saved footage = 28 saved incidents. A 128GB stick = 22 hours of saved footage = 132 saved incidents.

Math: TeslaCam saved videos are 30MB/minute/camera, hitting the Camera button saves last 10 minutes and uses 900MB from the memory stick. On a 32GB stick you're left with about 25GB actual usable storage (the 1hr continuous loop takes about 5.6GB of storage and '32GB' sticks are actually 30.5GB because memory sticks are marketed as 1GB = 1,000,000,000 bytes so they're short of an actual GB).

It would be nice if they added the rear view camera too. Speaking as a guy who got rear ended recently, it would be nice to have a nice clear image of the car’s license plate as it hits, just in case the dude or girl decides to try to run. The girl who hit me did the right thing, but not everyone does.

Unless they run in reverse the side or front cameras would get their plate as they pass you... (and keep in mind something like 19 or 20 states don't even require a front plate at all)

That said I agree adding the rear would be nice- for sentry mode if nothing else.

Reactions: JeffnReno
Keeping my blackvue 750s-2ch even if/when TeslaCam includes cloud live viewing and more options such as auto overwrite etc. Also, having redundant security video is a good idea incase one fails (esp usb drive corruption with TeslaCam(

I got the 2019.5.4 update today with the new 3-camera TeslaCam capability, so I decided to put together a couple of short comparison clips of the TeslaCam against a $70 Aukey DR02 dashcam.

The TeslaCam with the new software records with the narrow-view front camera and the two fender-mounted side-rear looking cameras integrated to the turn signal repeaters. The recordings are saved as separate MP4 files of 1280x960 resolution at 36fps, one file for each camera per minute.

The Aukey records in 1920x1080 resolution at 30fps, one file per 10 minutes.

I have combined them together into a 4k videos that you can view here:

Daytime

Night time

Hot take: TeslaCam front view is fairly narrow, but the side-rear views are wide and cover a lot. Most accidents should be visible except ones where all the action is in the 8-11 o'clock or 1-4 o'clock direction. The image quality is compressed and blocky with terrible color during the day, but surprisingly good at night. License plates at close range are readable. I'll probably continue to run my Aukey dashcam as well, so I have a much wider angle front view captured as well.
Nice work on video comparison.