Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Model 3 Software Update 2019.5.x

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
He’s using Google WiFi access points. With the companion mobile app you can view downstream and upstream data usage of each device on your network. I have them too, highly recommend them.

Yep, this. It's been a great product for us. And I agree that Tesla is likely using deltas. Sure seems that way based on these two data points. (Insert pithy comment about sample size here.)

• Funny
Reactions: bedoig
I would go with the smaller. My car had just finished charging. That was 24 hour data. So the actual package might been+- a bit. 600ish seems large. Might have restarted if it didn't finish correctly. I know very little.

Past update sizes I’ve checked on my Google WiFi typically weigh in around 500-600MB, so if these are indeed delta updates it’s very possible some updating from 2018.50.x will get an update download near 600MB and those like me who were already on a 2019.5.x variant would see a smaller download size.

Well in my extremely limited testing of 2019.5.15 when I went outside for just a minute to pull my 3 into the garage to charge tonight I noticed zero delay with the backup camera. I had been experiencing delays of 2-4 seconds almost every single time when putting the car in reverse when I was on 2019.5.4. Also my dash cam icon is still showing the red recording dot so it doesn’t seem like I will need to re-format my flash drive. A few others here had reported that their dash cam stopped working after updating. Also Sentry Mode is still strangely absent from the release notes but I still have it in the menus on my 3 and in the app.

• Helpful
Reactions: Falkirk
Past update sizes I’ve checked on my Google WiFi typically weigh in around 500-600MB, so if these are indeed delta updates it’s very possible some updating from 2018.50.x will get an update download near 600MB and those like me who were already on a 2019.5.x variant would see a smaller download size.

Yes. Totally backwards in my mind. My S updates have been smaller and many of the 3 much larger. Looking at my screenshots. Came from 2019.5.x

Reactions: PoitNarf
View attachment 385555

The Tesla site only says “EPA est” for the SR and LR RWD. This could be because they’re using the more optimistic EPA numbers to raise the min and max range of the lineup. Or maybe those are the only two configs tested by the EPA for range. I want to believe my LR RWD is getting additional range, but I doubt it.

Actually that would mean those two are estimates that have not yet been tested/certified by the EPA. So the other numbers should all be official.

• Disagree
Reactions: pscarroll
No. like Zaxxon said, this release started rolling a few days ago. The first people on 2019.5.15 we're aware of were on 3/7.

And this is now the fifteenth version being tried: 2019.5.15, version f5def7e.

Many people who got an early version, like 2019.5.4, end up getting updates like 2019.5.5 and 2019.5.6... because they had bugs that needed fixing. Tesla wasn't going to send the new version to new guinea pigs when they had existing people whose version needed updating. And each time they roll out a version, they roll out only enough to find out whatever they needed to check, and then they pause long enough to give the code enough time to generate data (it often takes time for the right circumstances to happen to test the changes). With each improved version, they can roll it out more broadly, if appropriate (sometimes it's not - sometimes it's enough to confirm one particular bug is fixed, but they won't roll broadly until other bugs are fixed). Personally, I don't mind when I get an "early" version - if there's a troublesome aspect or bug, I can deal with it for a a few days, and I always watch my car's behavior closely. But I'm also OK waiting for the big rollout; when that happens to me, I know that my code is going to be more stable and I won't be getting another "fix" in a couple of days.

Also, since you keep saying it, you should know that the whole 2019.5 series did not start rolling out on the 5th week of 2019. It was finalized in-lab in the 5th week of 2019. Then it went for final QA and/or deployment testing; the first 2019.5.X did roll out until the 7th week of 2019. Point Narf started this thread on Feb 14, which is late in the 7th week of the year:

It's typical for them to begin to roll about 2 weeks after the date implied in the version code. Sometimes there's a whole new version in a couple weeks, sometimes there isn't one for a few months. A lot of people in the background are working on various aspects at various speeds, and they come "ready" at their own pace.

Lastly, anyone watching things is aware that we've seen a tiny few Model 3s on 2019.7.11. That code was feature-complete two weeks after 2019.5, and has gone through 11 revisions, but is still not good enough to roll out en mass. So they're already working improving the new features in that while rolling out the stabilized 2019.5.x series. We don't know when 2019.7 will begin to roll more broadly - or if it will, at all! They may roll the refined features into a later update before rolling it broadly.

In-house, they probably have features/code alternatives in multiple other 2019.x release sthat may or may not ever see the light of day; sometimes work can get rolled forward several weeks. It depends how many new features vs. how much new work that needs testing, and it also depends on how many developer hours need to be spent on stabilizing older version based on field results.

And, through it all, their systems record the successful upgrades (and the upgrade failures, which also happen.) They get feedback from the cars on errors. Many cars allow them to pull more comprehensive data and images (mine does, but some people opt out.) So they can see how the cars are responding to the new code in real time, as well as getting feedback form individuals through services requests, through the EAP program, and through simply monitoring forums like this one.

Whoahh….

Slow it down a bit.

Someone else stated that 2019.5.xxxxx indicates a 5th week in the year release. I didn't.

It was also stated that when Tesla releases something like 2019.x.xxxx that it would be sitting out in a select environment for a while so that they could work through bugs and more importantly they won't release something that has damaging or dangerous impacts.
Its only been out there a few days….right?

My question is: Why didn't they roll out the update to EVERYONE a few days ago? Since it's only been out a few days. Why not roll it out to the entire planet tonight?

Just upgraded from 50.6 to 5.15 with dog mode and position mirror fold. No sentry mode.

It’s there but for some reason now absent in the release notes. Check under “Controls” in the Tesla app and you should see the Sentry Mode toggle there. If not maybe you either don’t have a USB flash drive installed or you need to re-format the drive.