Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Model 3 Software Update 2019.5.x

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I don't recall reading anything about the following: Has Tesla sped up the actuation of the high voltage battery contact? It used to be a slow clunking click. Now, it's a fast clunking click. This started to happen with 2019.5.15. I was previously on 2018.49.20, so I'm not sure if it was introduced in 2018.50.x.

I don't recall reading anything about the following: Has Tesla sped up the actuation of the high voltage battery contact? It used to be a slow clunking click. Now, it's a fast clunking click. This started to happen with 2019.5.15. I was previously on 2018.49.20, so I'm not sure if it was introduced in 2018.50.x.
Now that you mention it, when I plugged in the 3 last night, it did sound different. Let me listen tonight. I put it down to ‘nah, can’t be’.

It seems to me a lot of old issues have popped up with this release.

No sound, No Bass, Black Screen on Backup, Hands Free Call issues.

None of them are new problems though. And for many they resolve themselves over a little bit of time and maybe a few reboots.

I have to wonder if after an update the system might be doing some background house keeping. Like some Calibration for example.
And the other tasks/threads (possibly lower priority) are not getting their normal CPU slice and acting up until that background house keeping is done.

Or if not calibration perhaps it's downloading new map data, decompressing map data. Or optimizing maps for your locale.

Just a hunch something is "busy" for a while after a big update. It certainly doesn't explain some of these issues being persistent for some folks but perhaps sometimes what ever that busy task might be has an issue and is not finishing.

I manage embedded projects (100x simpler than this) and we do that sort of thing all the time. Typically it's visible to the user though. But not always.

BTW if it is some background task crunching on something, the worst thing you could do is reboot ;) Because it might have to start over.

Just food for thought.

• Informative
Reactions: C141medic
It seems to me a lot of old issues have popped up with this release.

No sound, No Bass, Black Screen on Backup, Hands Free Call issues.

None of them are new problems though. And for many they resolve themselves over a little bit of time and maybe a few reboots.

I have to wonder if after an update the system might be doing some background house keeping. Like some Calibration for example.
And the other tasks/threads (possibly lower priority) are not getting their normal CPU slice and acting up until that background house keeping is done.

Or if not calibration perhaps it's downloading new map data, decompressing map data. Or optimizing maps for your locale.

Just a hunch something is "busy" for a while after a big update. It certainly doesn't explain some of these issues being persistent for some folks but perhaps sometimes what ever that busy task might be has an issue and is not finishing.

I manage embedded projects (100x simpler than this) and we do that sort of thing all the time. Typically it's visible to the user though. But not always.

BTW if it is some background task crunching on something, the worst thing you could do is reboot ;) Because it might have to start over.

Just food for thought.
Yeah, I had no bass for a while. It has recovered somewhat, but the back speakers still don't sound as good as they should. The biggest problem I have is I have to wait a while after entering my PIN to be able to move the stalk into Drive or Reverse. It takes up to 20 seconds before it will allow me to drive the car away sometimes. The car just acts like I have not switched to Drive or Reverse.

I was able to find out one of the problems that was/is happening with the Bass or the lack thereof.

It has been indicated by Tesla that updates are resetting the actual Eq to flatline. Although my screen showed the eq one way....the actual eq was flat.

I moved each EQ level from where I have them to back where I have them and now my bass is back.

I didn't get into a stupid discussion with the Tesla Service Rep about why the actual EQ wasn't re-reading what was set on the screen....but.....oh well.

Not only is this happening with updates....its happening on occasion when the car goes to sleep.

I issued a "bug report" even though they know what the issue is.

I was able to find out one of the problems that was/is happening with the Bass or the lack thereof.

It has been indicated by Tesla that updates are resetting the actual Eq to flatline. Although my screen showed the eq one way....the actual eq was flat.

I moved each EQ level from where I have them to back where I have them and now my bass is back.

I didn't get into a stupid discussion with the Tesla Service Rep about why the actual EQ wasn't re-reading what was set on the screen....but.....oh well.

Not only is this happening with updates....its happening on occasion when the car goes to sleep.

I issued a "bug report" even though they know what the issue is.

I have tremendous bass (all sources) with them set flat. If anything flat is to much bass.

The folks that have historically "lost bass" is definitely not an EQ setting issue. Some folks have managed to get it back by shutting the car down, actually getting out and then getting back in and the bass is back. Some got it back through reboots and/or shutdowns.

When it's not working it appears the rear speakers and sub are off or heavily muted.

Reactions: EV-by-the-Sea
I have tremendous bass (all sources) with them set flat. If anything flat is to much bass.

The folks that have historically "lost bass" is definitely not an EQ setting issue. Some folks have managed to get it back by shutting the car down, actually getting out and then getting back in and the bass is back. Some got it back through reboots and/or shutdowns.

When it's not working it appears the rear speakers and sub are off or heavily muted.

As it is with many others....you didn't fully read my post.

It doesn't matter.

Had audio issues again twice yesterday (mainly lack of bass response). Once after the car was parked for an hour or so and the other time while I was driving. Both were solved by rebooting.

Again the same thing happened with the audio controls: moving balance to right rear worked as it was supposed to but moving to left rear caused both front speakers to slightly activate. Base equalizer slider was totally ineffective, as was expected since it sounded like the subwoofer was off.

Not sure this has been noted... while the car is in motion, the Sentry Mode toggle appears to be active in the app (as opposed to most others that are grayed out as they should be).

Anyone want to test this? I’m not about to or GF will be possibly upset as she’s on her way to work. :D Wonder if it means Sentry will auto activate on parking?
Finally tried this and it says the car must be in Park. Lol. Then why have the toggle available? The others aren’t. As a former developer, I’ll call this incompetent coding.

Now that you mention it, when I plugged in the 3 last night, it did sound different. Let me listen tonight. I put it down to ‘nah, can’t be’.
Tested this several times.. not sure, really. Wouldn’t call it ‘louder’ but might call it quicker. That make sense? Hard to compare without a recording or two cars next to each other!

Is this a new feature or something we’ve had for a while? I have 2019.5.15. Twice today I disabled autosteer by turning the wheel and either changed lanes or went a bit wide so the car thought I was about to change lanes, which immediately prompted an “exiting lane, take over immediately” alert together with beeping similar to forward collision warning. I have lane departure warning turned off.

Is this a new feature or something we’ve had for a while? I have 2019.5.15. Twice today I disabled autosteer by turning the wheel and either changed lanes or went a bit wide so the car thought I was about to change lanes, which immediately prompted an “exiting lane, take over immediately” alert together with beeping similar to forward collision warning. I have lane departure warning turned off.
You may find the easier way to disengage is an up swipe of the right side stalk.

After hearing all the folks having audio issues (I have not), I'm wondering if it's more an LTE streaming bandwidth issue as opposed to the software? Like if I'm watching streaming video on my PC and the connection flakes, it'll stream low-def until the connection is solid again.
Maybe that's part of the issue?