Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Model 3 Software Update 2019.5.x

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
After hearing all the folks having audio issues (I have not), I'm wondering if it's more an LTE streaming bandwidth issue as opposed to the software? Like if I'm watching streaming video on my PC and the connection flakes, it'll stream low-def until the connection is solid again.
Maybe that's part of the issue?

Could depend on which source you are listening to. TuneIn is live streaming so that could potentially be affected by a temporary hiccup in LTE coverage. I believe with Slacker the entire song is downloaded in one shot and would not be affected by a temporary connection issue.

You may find the easier way to disengage is an up swipe of the right side stalk.

Using the wheel only cancels autosteer. Using the right stalk cancels autosteer and speed (which you might not want - e.g. if your foot is not on the accelerator when you use right stalk to cancel, regen will kick in, turn on brake lights etc. ).

I think I’ve manage to cancel a lane change messing with the blinker stalk. But I’m still figuring out the smoothest way to do it.

After hearing all the folks having audio issues (I have not), I'm wondering if it's more an LTE streaming bandwidth issue as opposed to the software? Like if I'm watching streaming video on my PC and the connection flakes, it'll stream low-def until the connection is solid again.
Maybe that's part of the issue?
I was kinda bummed about not having SIRIUS on my new car, but found a good workaround. I got a 6 dollar a month streaming subscription from SiriusXM, I have Verizon with unlimited data, and stream most everything from my phone. So my car is on ATT phone on Verizon. ATT service isn’t great where I live. Like you no issues with the audio system. Sounds great. I agree with you aboLTE bandwidth.

So, I’ve read the entire thread and I’m still trying to understand how one knows when they will receive the various updates. In my case, my screen does not turn on about 25% of the time that I get in the car. Very frustrating! The dealer had the car for 2 weeks and said they have no fix but that it should be fixed in the upcoming release. That was a month ago.

I’m still on 2018.50.6. Love the car, but very frustrated with the issue. Dealer says that my car seems to be an exception and that they’ve never seen a model 3 with the issue as prominent as mine. I find it weird that others aren’t seeking it.

You should have sentry mode. Look in safety and security section.
Since you mentioned Sentry Mode, a quick question I think I know the answer to...just not sure. TeslaCam requires a flash drive with it's own subdirectory defined. Sentry requires a flash drive. I have a 32GB or 64GB flash drive installed. Both Cam and Sentry can use the same drive, correct? Just for grins and chuckles I did turn on sentry. There was no error or warning. But I wasn't convinced it might not silently fail.

Yep, in those situations I wasn’t looking to disengage TACC though, just autosteer.
I could have sworn the first time I tried that it did not disengage autosteer. But it didn't jerk the car just to end auto-steer or NoA. The second time it did seem to drop out of TACC. Maybe for NoA it does only disengage that?? If it doesn't disengaging should work like undoing the engage, once for TACC twice for steering/NoA, undoing once for steer/NoA, twice for TACC. In other words it shouldn't require unnecessary controls such as braking or jerking the wheel.

Since you mentioned Sentry Mode, a quick question I think I know the answer to...just not sure. TeslaCam requires a flash drive with it's own subdirectory defined. Sentry requires a flash drive. I have a 32GB or 64GB flash drive installed. Both Cam and Sentry can use the same drive, correct? Just for grins and chuckles I did turn on sentry. There was no error or warning. But I wasn't convinced it might not silently fail.

Yeah they use the same drive/TeslaCam folder.

That said, sentry mode can use a lot more space than the dashcam if it alerts often (like you often use it parked someplace with a lot of foot traffic going near the car).

The dashcam won't ever use up even a 16GB key unless you're saving off dozens and dozens of 10 minute clips.... Sentry mode can entirely fill a 32GB key in 8 hours in a very busy parking lot (a few folks have reported such already).

So, I’ve read the entire thread and I’m still trying to understand how one knows when they will receive the various updates. In my case, my screen does not turn on about 25% of the time that I get in the car. Very frustrating! The dealer had the car for 2 weeks and said they have no fix but that it should be fixed in the upcoming release. That was a month ago.

I’m still on 2018.50.6. Love the car, but very frustrated with the issue. Dealer says that my car seems to be an exception and that they’ve never seen a model 3 with the issue as prominent as mine. I find it weird that others aren’t seeking it.

I had a similar issue and 2019.5.4 (and later) fixed it for me. In tesla land, you are not taking your car to the "dealer", you are taking it to a "service center" because currently they do not sell cars at the service center just repair them.

I would recommend making a service appointment asking for the lastest update to fix your issue since its out. There is no way to "force" an update but its very likely that if you get update 2019.5.4 or later (like 2019.5.15) it will fix your issue.

That tells me it's likely hardware, either the monitor itself or a loose connection. When you've been to the service center had they replaced the monitor? Also, yes, I agree you cannot predict update arrivals.You can slow them down. You can't speed them up. You can slow them down by having either no Wifi to the car or a very weak/spotty wifi. How many 'archs' do you see in the notification or does it always say LTE? You want at least 3 archs. If you have one or two, get a wifi repeater/extender. I, initially, had that issue and the extender fixed me up just fine.

I am now, after next to last update, having issues with the backup camera I didn't used to have.

Last edited:

Make sure you have a "strong" wifi connection to the car. I had a similar issue in that my car was not getting the update, although my car had a wifi connection with 75% strength. I contacted Tesla and was told that my car could not download the update because it is not connected to wifi! It turned out that the wifi connection must be very strong for the car to download the update. I moved the wifi extender in my home to make the wifi signal stronger. Once the signal became stronger, the car started downloading the update.

When you say "screen does not turn on" are you referring to a black screen and the Tesla logo will come up after 30-60 seconds? If so, I had this same issue since November where it affected me over 90% of the time. 2019.5.4 and now 5.15 have fixed this problem for me. As others have suggested, try to get the latest update and see if it is fixed for you too. Good luck.

When you say "screen does not turn on" are you referring to a black screen and the Tesla logo will come up after 30-60 seconds? If so, I had this same issue since November where it affected me over 90% of the time. 2019.5.4 and now 5.15 have fixed this problem for me. As others have suggested, try to get the latest update and see if it is fixed for you too. Good luck.

And if he is "crashing" (which is what I believe are what the black screens are) he may have trouble getting the update and probably the reason he hasn't gotten it yet.

I got the 2019.5.15 about 4 days ago. Yesterday, Sentry sent an alert to my mobile phone. No pictures sent with the phone or accessible on the car. I checked the video clips on my PC. None are labeled as an alert. The alert was evidently triggered by a pedestrian, not someone touching the car.

bwong24
Model 3

I don't recall reading anything about the following: Has Tesla sped up the actuation of the high voltage battery contact? It used to be a slow clunking click. Now, it's a fast clunking click. This started to happen with 2019.5.15. I was previously on 2018.49.20, so I'm not sure if it was introduced in 2018.50.x.

I’m glad someone mentioned this because I have definitely noticed this. Instead of a slow and loud THUNK THUNK (about .50 seconds each back to back) it’s now a quick THUNK THUNK (about .25 seconds each back to back and quieter as well). I was on 2018.50 before and now on 2019.5.15 so this change was introduced in 2019.5.15.