Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Model 3 Software Update 46.2

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
When the charge port pin would not lock, was the car outside or damp, when it was around the freezing mark?

The issue I am referring to happened when the car was dry, in a 56 degree garage. Like the software doesn't allow the car to unlock the pin, since it is unresponsive. Nothing clicks or whirs like it is even trying to unlock the pin.

I can see an issue where water gets into the charge port and freezes the pin open or closed causing issues. That is an inconvenient issue in winter climates. I sprayed some silicone spray on the pin as a preventive measure. Perhaps not the best thought out design, and most likely overlooked since it is designed in CA.

When your car was charging slowly, did you go up to the car and try inserting the charge cable further? My wife has plugged in the car twice now while in a hurry. I saw on the app the car was displaying a message showing slow charging that it wasn't plugged in properly. I walked up and simply pressed it in further until it was fully seated. This was in a warm garage prior to this most recent update.
This is the same issue I've had, and I can tell you it is all related to the cold weather update. I never had any problem, including during freezing weather, before this update. Don't blame your wife.

No problems so far and one improvement. For the first ever when I stayed in the right lane it never tried to exit the highway on my commute home with NoA disabled. Usually at one exit ramp I would have to take over to stay on the highway.

This is the same issue I've had, and I can tell you it is all related to the cold weather update. I never had any problem, including during freezing weather, before this update. Don't blame your wife.

I honestly think it was user error, because I could push the charger into the charge port further.

Unless...the pin was stuck up and the charger could still be inserted partially? Not sure if the car can actually make a charge connection if trying to insert the charger with the pin stuck in the up position only allowing for partial insertion?

I was receiving updates generally on the early(ish) side until 4-6 weeks ago when I received 42.2.1 and now haven't received a thing. Is that just bad luck or do you think I should call Tesla and ask them to force update me to a new install or should I just be patient? Nothing corrupted or anything like that (that I am aware of). Thanks!

I was receiving updates generally on the early(ish) side until 4-6 weeks ago when I received 42.2.1 and now haven't received a thing. Is that just bad luck or do you think I should call Tesla and ask them to force update me to a new install or should I just be patient? Nothing corrupted or anything like that (that I am aware of). Thanks!
That's just bad luck. Or you had exceptionally good luck before, actually.

Just because you're early in one rollout doesn't mean your car will always get selected early.... Hang in there, it's no fun to be at the end of a rollout. I remember for the first Karpathy AP2 update I was in the last 5% of the fleet. Was an agonizing wait, but in the end, it arrived, and I did nothing different to get the update other than spend a lot of time online complaining about not having it!

• Funny
Reactions: NeverFollow
Problems with the charge port have got to be software related. I haven't had any problems until I got the "cold weather" update. I don't seem to have the locking problems that everyone else has, but just the opposite - I plug it in and the port doesn't recognize that the charger is plugged in. I usually end up unlocking the car and locking it again and removing and reinserting the plug, and and if I'm lucky the "T" will finally turn blue.

Good lord, give us at least one update that doesn't eff up something else!

I just updated last night and I’m experiencing something very similar, or potentially the same.

When I enable scheduled charging, it says my car isn’t plugged in properly and the Tesla T is white instead of the intended blue. When I disable scheduled charging it charges fine.

This is the first update that has actually taken my car a step backwards and I’m not too excited, I hope a fix is coming soon.

I am exactly in the same boat as you with 42.2.1. I called Tesla, they confirmed no issues with my car and that I should just wait.

I'm on the latest software and had an issue with the charge port this morning. It wouldn't unlock and the light was red. I had to manually pull the lever to unlock it. Car was parked In a garage at 65° so the "winter behavior" wasn't activated.

I got this 46.2 yesterday and had this exact same thing happen to me today. Had to manually pull the charger release cord then got a bunch of errors about it until the car was undriven for a few hours.

Definitely seems to be a software bug.

Is this a buggy release? I got a bunch of errors about traction control disabled, reduced regen and steering and a bunch of other messages. I powered down the car, restarted and all is fine. I have over 5K miles on the car and this is the first time I've seen anything like this.

I just updated last night and I’m experiencing something very similar, or potentially the same.

When I enable scheduled charging, it says my car isn’t plugged in properly and the Tesla T is white instead of the intended blue. When I disable scheduled charging it charges fine.

This is the first update that has actually taken my car a step backwards and I’m not too excited, I hope a fix is coming soon.

Did you try updating your Tesla app? They released a new version a couple days ago. After I updated, the charger plug message went away.

Did you try updating your Tesla app? They released a new version a couple days ago. After I updated, the charger plug message went away.
It seems that the most recent problems started for me when I UPDATED the app. I also tried restarting the phone. Fortunately, the car at least charges, and all the error messages went away after letting the car sit, and of course waiting on hold to Tesla Service for a good half hour.

Well if you haven’t upgraded to 46.2 yet you might want to hold off. Got in my Model 3 dual motor yesterday, one day after upgrade. After putting car in Drive, for whole bunch or errors that traction control, regent braking, stability control and more were disabled, and car “needs service”. See screen shot.

View attachment 358551

Pulled over and called Tesla roadside assistance. They told me this is “known issue with 46.2” and “should be addressed in next update in 2 weeks”. He had me power off the car through the service menu, and after it restarted in about 2 minutes error messages were gone and car seemed to operate normally.

Doesn’t inspire confidence in the software update process for this new owner!

Anyone else seeing similar behavior?

Is this a buggy release? I got a bunch of errors about traction control disabled, reduced regen and steering and a bunch of other messages. I powered down the car, restarted and all is fine. I have over 5K miles on the car and this is the first time I've seen anything like this.

My wife was driving the car yesterday and when she came out from a store a traction control disabled message popped up. She drove to the next store, and when she came out again it had disappeared. Still on 46.2.

Reactions: RobbL
got a bunch of errors about it until the car was undriven for a few hours

when she came out from a store a traction control disabled message popped up. She drove to the next store, and when she came out again it had disappeared

That sounds like the car was idle long enough to power off, which reset whatever components were showing errors. I think that takes about 45 minutes. If you're in a hurry you may be able to get the same effect by using the "Power Off" control, then waiting about three minutes before touching anything.

That sounds like the car was idle long enough to power off, which reset whatever components were showing errors. I think that takes about 45 minutes. If you're in a hurry you may be able to get the same effect by using the "Power Off" control, then waiting about three minutes before touching anything.

I once got a power steering assist disabled warning. I did a soft reset and never got the message again. My wife probably went into the store long enough that the car went to sleep and reset itself.

It seems that the most recent problems started for me when I UPDATED the app. I also tried restarting the phone. Fortunately, the car at least charges, and all the error messages went away after letting the car sit, and of course waiting on hold to Tesla Service for a good half hour.

The message actually came back the next day so it must be a bug. It still charges but it keeps saying charge cable may not be plugged in correctly. Also, my charge port has not been able to be manually opened (via tap) after 44.x.

Yes I have updated the app and still get the error message. Like landis pointed out, even with the error message the car will still charge at the scheduled time. But it’s clearly a bug that hopefully gets addressed in the next update.