Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Model 3 Software Updates

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
My phone app never wakes the car. But when it's at a supercharger the app can always tell me the present status. A few times I saw "Updated 6 minutes ago" (or however many minutes) but when I hit the refresh thingy it updates.

But up until now I never had it connected to wi-fi. I got 18.1 while on my trip, so just this evening connected to my wi-fi for the first time now that I'm back home. I'll be interested to see if this changes things.

Reactions: fiatlux
My phone app never wakes the car. But when it's at a supercharger the app can always tell me the present status. A few times I saw "Updated 6 minutes ago" (or however many minutes) but when I hit the refresh thingy it updates.

But up until now I never had it connected to wi-fi. I got 18.1 while on my trip, so just this evening connected to my wi-fi for the first time now that I'm back home. I'll be interested to see if this changes things.

Car stays awake when it charges so you should be able to use the iPhone app pretty good. I have terrible cellular at my house and that caused an issue with the car waking up with the app, WIFI helped!

Sadly, features like summon dont work on WIFI, just cellular (in my experience anyway), so I’m out of luck until AT&T sort out their cell signal issues in this area.

Ever since I upgraded to 2018.26 my app will not wake my car up. If I go to the car and open the door the app can connect, or if the car is charging the app can connect, but if the car is just sitting there the app refuses to connect to the car. Just "Updated X hours ago" with a spinning wheel at the bottom and the random "Vehicle Connection Error" message. It's not an issue of spotty LTE, since once I open a door the app instantly connects and the LTE service shows full (or mostly full) bars.

Typo correction: My version is 28.1, not 18.1.

Ever since I upgraded to 2018.26 my app will not wake my car up. If I go to the car and open the door the app can connect, or if the car is charging the app can connect, but if the car is just sitting there the app refuses to connect to the car. Just "Updated X hours ago" with a spinning wheel at the bottom and the random "Vehicle Connection Error" message. It's not an issue of spotty LTE, since once I open a door the app instantly connects and the LTE service shows full (or mostly full) bars.

Same here. And now I'm connected to my home wi-fi, once the car finished charging and went back to sleep, the app still will not wake it up.

So the promise of things like pre-heating or pre-cooling via the app is broken. If the app cannot wake up the car, it cannot do anything.

i'm on 28.2 and just woke my car up via the app (after finally getting it to sleep by removing my home assistant polling). it took around 60 seconds i'd say with the app status saying "waking up" but it did finally work...

I'm much too impatient to wait an entire 60 seconds. :oops: That's practically all day. :eek:

Okay. I tried again and this time I just let it run. After a minute or two it said "Vehicle connection error" and stopped trying. The car seems to go to sleep and just does not wake up from the app. I had connected it to my wi-fi, and I assume it reconnects when I get back home after driving. Or do I actually have to tell it to connect to wi-fi instead of using the cell connection every time I park it?

Hmmm. Now I'm curious. I'm going out to the garage to look.

Okay. When I unlocked the car and got in it showed the cell signal icon and no bars (the line through them indicating no signal) but immediately it switched to the wi-fi icon and a strong signal. I came back in and the app was able to connect immediately. So I'm convinced that the car just goes to sleep at some point after sitting for a while, and nothing will wake it up other than unlocking it in person. Which renders most of the app functions useless. I can monitor it while it's charging. If I'm within Bluetooth range I can use the app to lock or unlock it and presumably summon it (haven't tried that yet). But once the car goes to sleep, the app will do nothing but act as the key if I'm right there. The car uses 4 kWh a day doing I-don't-know-what, but it won't use a few milliwatts to keep communication active.

Okay. I tried again and this time I just let it run. After a minute or two it said "Vehicle connection error" and stopped trying. The car seems to go to sleep and just does not wake up from the app. I had connected it to my wi-fi, and I assume it reconnects when I get back home after driving. Or do I actually have to tell it to connect to wi-fi instead of using the cell connection every time I park it?

Hmmm. Now I'm curious. I'm going out to the garage to look.

Okay. When I unlocked the car and got in it showed the cell signal icon and no bars (the line through them indicating no signal) but immediately it switched to the wi-fi icon and a strong signal. I came back in and the app was able to connect immediately. So I'm convinced that the car just goes to sleep at some point after sitting for a while, and nothing will wake it up other than unlocking it in person. Which renders most of the app functions useless. I can monitor it while it's charging. If I'm within Bluetooth range I can use the app to lock or unlock it and presumably summon it (haven't tried that yet). But once the car goes to sleep, the app will do nothing but act as the key if I'm right there. The car uses 4 kWh a day doing I-don't-know-what, but it won't use a few milliwatts to keep communication active.

This, exactly. Open a door and it goes from no signal to full bars LTE for me. Have you called support?

Makes you wonder if Tesla is seeing all the complaints about vampire drain and is swinging wildly in the other direction to minimize it. At this point when the car is sleep it my other car (Volt via OnStar) appears to respond faster via the app, than my Tesla. It wasn't like that when I first got the car.