Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Model 3 Software Updates

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I just called Tesla about this because I suspected that a previous update had failed to install properly and was preventing future updates. (I had that happen on my S last year.) Sure enough, Tesla was able to confirm that's exactly what happened. They escalated the matter and the appropriate team has promised to issue a purge command to clear things out so that the update will occur properly. This might be what happened to you.
What number did you call?

I got the prompt on my phone on Monday that there was a new update but when I got to my car there was nothing. Been 5 days now. (Saturday) and there’s still no update on the car.

@ebmcs03: I called roadside assistance and they transferred me to the software people who said they would issue the purge command “in the next 24 to 72 hours.” Two days later, I received a call telling me that they purged the failed installation and my car should accept updates now. But, the person also said that they recalled a recent update that they released because they have a better version that they’ve decided to push in the near future instead. So, you might be simply seeking that release/retraction event, not a failed update that’s blocking you.

• Informative
Reactions: ebmcs03
I took delivery on 6/2/18, and a few days later received my ONLY software update, 2018.21.9. Should I have received others by now?

I have issues with blind spots inn my outside mirrors and had hoped that they might be corrected via an update. Earlier, I had a problem with Homelink, but reflashing the display led to that being correctable after several attempts

I took delivery on 6/2/18, and a few days later received my ONLY software update, 2018.21.9. Should I have received others by now?

I have issues with blind spots inn my outside mirrors and had hoped that they might be corrected via an update. Earlier, I had a problem with Homelink, but reflashing the display led to that being correctable after several attempts
Nope

It seems strange that the S & Xs are getting a lot of updates and the 3s get almost no updates. See the image from TeslaFi below.

Screen Shot 2018-07-29 at 4.29.12 PM.png

Finally received my first software update since delivery last night. From 18.14 to 24.7. That's an awfully strange version to hop to, but I'll take it. Now I can configure WiFi and use summon and have cabin overheat protection.

I guess there were autopilot updates as well. I noticed my car is far more hesitant on a long sweeping interchange ramp (I suspect the car considers it an exit ramp even though it's not). Barring traffic, most cars can handle it at 65-70. Previous AP slowed to 65 on this ramp, which was fine...but the new update insists on 60, which frankly is pretty slow given typical average speeds. Oh well...my wife will like that anyway!

Reactions: IdaX
I am sure this has been asked before, but how often should we be expecting updates?

I just got my RWD3 a week ago, with 28.1 software. There have been 3 minor upgrades since then, but I have not gotten any notices for upgrading. I see some people getting frequent upgrades and others, not. I have wifi enabled. Is there anything else an owner can do to get the upgrades more frequently?

I am sure this has been asked before, but how often should we be expecting updates?

I just got my RWD3 a week ago, with 28.1 software. There have been 3 minor upgrades since then, but I have not gotten any notices for upgrading. I see some people getting frequent upgrades and others, not. I have wifi enabled. Is there anything else an owner can do to get the upgrades more frequently?

If it follows the S/X cadence then expect the entire fleet to be updated every six to eight weeks. They dabble out little updates to a fraction of the fleet frequently but most don’t go to wide release.

Last edited:

I don't think anyone has defined the rhyme or reason for updates. It's certainly not FIFO from a delivery standpoint. It also doesn't seem to be FIFO from a legacy software standpoint (someone on 26.1 doesn't seem to get the next update faster than someone already on 28.1)

At this point now that we are on WIFI for updates mostly, the best you can do it seems is call customer care and report something. At this point they can push updates into the queue. Or send a rover to check on the car.

Other than that, it's wait it out.

It took my car 30 days to get its first update. Then I got 2 in 2 days.

I wouldn't worry about it yet. You are ahead of me at this point. I'm at 26.3.

I got 2018.28.1 while up in Canada on my trip. I've now noticed two bugs I didn't have before on the previous release:

1. If I attempt to open any door other than the driver's door, the car will not unlock. When I then attempt to open the driver's door, the car demands the card key. As long as I open the driver's door first, the phone works fine. I used to be able to open any door.

2. The phone works fine to open the car (except as noted above) but will not connect to the music system via Bluetooth. Previously the phone connected fine, and often connected all by itself even when I wanted the USB input instead. This was an annoyance because I bought an audio book for this trip. On the way up it worked fine. After the update I cannot listen to it. I had to listen to music and radio for the drive home.

In spite of the above, and the unreliability of the phone key, this is the best car ever! Most of my highway driving, the thing drives itself! All I have to do is remain alert and ready to take over.

I am running iPhone Beta, and perhaps this issue is with the new Beta that I just got but I also got 28.1 about the same time. When I have been logging my vampire drain, I wake the car at 7:30 am and 8 pm and screen capture the remaining range. The last few days the app will NOT wake the car. I have had to reboot the phone or sit in the car to get them to connect. I was charging at the mall and I couldn't find out the status of the car w/o walking out to it. grrr.

Anyone else?

-Randy