Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Model 3 specs

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
(Feel free to mention how this difference in the 3's motor configuration can be achieved with something else than with the reduction ratios.)
With different motors. Model 3 dual motors will have a PM motor in the front - the same or similar that the RWD has in the rear - and an induction motor - same or similar to what Model S/X have - in the rear.
With that said, the will probably *also* have different reduction ratios.

With different motors. Model 3 dual motors will have a PM motor in the front - the same or similar that the RWD has in the rear - and an induction motor - same or similar to what Model S/X have - in the rear.

Yes, that is an interesting design choice - and one that does not exactly simplify production and maintenance of the M3.

According to Electrek (citing Musk's tweets)
Tesla Model 3 dual motor performance version features both an AC induction and a permanent magnet motor
this mix of motor types is for the Performance version.

I still wonder about the non-P AWD configuration. I guess with time we will know.

PS. As for the motor (and battery) types, Tesla could simplify their production and free up space in Freemont by migrating all their vehicles to M3 (like) motors, power electronics and 2170 based battery packs.

Reactions: Stirfelt
Electrek's comment on the range cited above is specifically for dual motors over single motor, so not implying P. And per Musk's tweets, the AWD range is unchanged both with and without P. Surprisingly.

It is quite possible that the single motor M3 is optimized for range. Motortrend lists the single motor reduction ratio as 1:9,
Tesla Model 3: 2018 Motor Trend Car of the Year Finalist - Motor Trend .

Now, with Musk's statement "One is optimized for power & one for range" the two motors in the 3 cannot be configured identically.

The Semi uses M3 (-like) motors configured with two (very) different reduction gear ratios (1:15 vs 1:23). So Musk's statement sounds a lot like the 3 will also have different reduction ratios on the front and the back. (Feel free to mention how this difference in the 3's motor configuration can be achieved with something else than with the reduction ratios.)

I am then surprised that such a configuration would not allow for longer range compared to the single motor configuration, also when that has a reduction ratio optimized for range. Basically, having two well-chosen gears should always allow for more economic driving that a single (well-chosen) gear.

I guess getting the reduction ratios for the AWD M3 front and rear motors would help.

Also, what about AWD regenerative braking power?

In principle, the AWD regenerative braking power can be twice as high as the single motor one. The AWD could exploit this to gain extra range over the single motor on routes where significant braking is needed.
In a single motor Model S I saw regenerative braking at up to a bit over 60 kW, so about half the supercharging power.
Dual motor braking should be able to double that without stressing the battery and without needing more road vs tire friction, leading to longer AWD range on a route where the single motor variant would need to engage the traditional brakes, e.g. during a steep descent.
I max out at 50-60kW of regen on my X 90D, so two motors doesn’t automatically double your regen ability.

Reactions: Kacey Green

Induction in front, PMSR in rear. The induction type produces the least drag when disabled. So normally rear wheel drive in cruise.

Twitter

(Feel free to mention how this difference in the 3's motor configuration can be achieved with something else than with the reduction ratios.)
My understanding:
The S/X RWD was tuned to the performance side (low end), so efficiency at cruise suffered. With AWD, the pack limited peak power, so the rear motor output was tuned for best cruise efficiency and the front tuned to bring the low end numbers back up.
The 3 was designed for range from the start, so the rear motor is already near the ideal efficiency point. Thus, the extra front motor can't increase efficiency at all. The use of induction style produces the least drag while off (least penalty). They may have also shifted the rear power output (motor windings/ V/RPM, ft-lb/Amp) slightly to keep the same range with the extra weight and mechanical drag.

Has anyone figured out the $23k difference between Performance and AWD?

Red Brake Calipers?
Spoiler?

What else?

I think "Silicon Carbide Inverters" is one of the pricier components, and I've read some more details about what "lot sorted" and "double burn-in" means from EM's tweet here: Elon Musk on Twitter

On some sites I've seen stated "Autopilot included", and other others they say the opposite. ¯\_(ツ)_/¯

I think "Silicon Carbide Inverters" is one of the pricier components, and I've read some more details about what "lot sorted" and "double burn-in" means from EM's tweet here: Elon Musk on Twitter

On some sites I've seen stated "Autopilot included", and other others they say the opposite. ¯\_(ツ)_/¯
Well...having Autopilot included would be great and would make a big difference in my decision - however Elon's tweet explicitly left AutoPilot as an option .

Elon Musk on Twitter

This should help ... Here is the current specification summary for the Model 3. :cool: Tesla Model 3 - Wikipedia

Model 3 specifications.JPG