Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Model 3 specs

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Granted it doesn't get terribly cold in Seattle, but I can't think of a time I've ever felt the steering wheel was uncomfortably cold. It's funny that someone mentioned automatic headlights as an example of a feature you didn't know you need until you got it. Our car w/ automatic headlights is about four years old now and I still can't get in the habit of using the feature. I manually turn them on and off every time.

I can't believe that the option to cut off the headlights even exists anymore. They should just be on.

Granted it doesn't get terribly cold in Seattle, but I can't think of a time I've ever felt the steering wheel was uncomfortably cold. It's funny that someone mentioned automatic headlights as an example of a feature you didn't know you need until you got it. Our car w/ automatic headlights is about four years old now and I still can't get in the habit of using the feature. I manually turn them on and off every time.

You won't have that problem with a Tesla, because there's no control to turn them on or off (just a buried setting).

Regarding the heated steering wheel, it'd definitely be nice to have it. I don't need it much in the Bay Area but, have felt the need for it on trips to Tahoe in winter, even with cabin prewarming. I was one of those unlucky ones who didn't win the heated steering wheel lottery (with the subzero package or whatever it was called) in the earliest builds of the P85D in late-2014.

• Helpful
Reactions: GSP and lupend88
With a decent pair of gloves ?

Look, I don't care about a heated steering wheel, but I must say your argument sounds like "who needs a heater in the car, just wear a jacket for crying out loud!" If people want the feature, they want it. If enough people want it, Tesla will eventually provide it, just like they did with the S.

Look, I don't care about a heated steering wheel, but I must say your argument sounds like "who needs a heater in the car, just wear a jacket for crying out loud!" If people want the feature, they want it. If enough people want it, Tesla will eventually provide it, just like they did with the S.
You can interpret it that way if you like, or take it as a PSA: gloves solve the cold hands on steering wheel problem for me, and I suspect pretty much anybody else without Raynaud's phenomenon.

And far be it from me to harp on behavior so lazy it makes me laugh and cry at the same time; I stopped teaching pigs to fly a long time ago. All I really want to see is the people strongly advocating the heated steering wheel clarify whether gloves are being used. At least give people context.

Last edited:
The big map on the Model S needs data. Drive into a cell phone hole, and it goes blank. There are built in maps for navigation, but they can't be displayed on the main screen.

Now, maybe the 3 will be different and the maps on the screen will be the built in ones. That would be an upgrade, in my opinion.
Even Google Maps has the ability to work offline if you download the map data. Maybe they will add that type of functionality.

Sweet! I can use the aftermarket wheels on my BMW. I bought them specifically because I guessed they would fit the Model 3 too.

235/40R19 is the tire mentioned in the Motor Trend article, so I was wrong about the 18" tire size. The info from FlatSix911 is perfect for finding wheels on some sites (like the one for my local tire/wheel store).
Size: 19X8.0″
Offset: +40
PCD: 5X120
Center Bore: 64.1mm

Reactions: FlatSix911
You can interpret it that way if you like, or take it as a PSA: gloves solve the cold hands on steering wheel problem for me, and I suspect pretty much anybody else without Raynaud's phenomenon.

And far be it from me to harp on behavior so lazy it makes me laugh and cry at the same time; I stopped teaching pigs to fly a long time ago. All I really want to see is the people strongly advocating the heated steering wheel clarify whether gloves are being used. At least give people context.

I really don't understand the "meh, whatever" attitude about the usefulness of a heated steering wheel. If you live in Hawaii, sure, a heated steering wheel is useless, but not everyone lives in Hawaii.

For all we know, the 3 DOES have an option to add a heated steering wheel, but for whatever reason it is absent from all available documents. Perhaps @RandyS can settle the question.

People can wear gloves, so a heated steering wheel is pointless? Using your logic, there is no need for an HVAC system either (If you're hot, open the windows! It's raining? You'll cool off even faster! If you're cold, put a damn jacket on! You can afford a jacket if you can afford a $35k car!). For you guys saying "Who needs a heated steering wheel?!", have you ever used one in cold temps?

Reactions: GSP and VIKING26
Anyone know how many car seat restraints/LATCH system will be in the rear seats? Possibly 3 like the S?
I saw a mention of two in an article post-reveal, but I don't recall which. That's the normal configuration for a car this size, four total anchors, for two seats. Open question whether you can use the middle two anchors for a seat in the center, which is nice for rear-facing seats

I really don't understand the "meh, whatever" attitude about the usefulness of a heated steering wheel....

Meh, whatever. We're talking about a car that has instant on heat, six inches from the steering wheel. We're talking about people who live all over, and a great many don't use, don't need, don't want heated steering wheels or seats. Unless you live in the cold hinterlands, you don't even need heat half the time.

Maybe Tesla will offer it as an option. I certainly don't want to pay for something I'll never use, even when I go to Tahoe. The wheel is leather, even. "I really don't understand the" attitude that because some people want it, Tesla should build their cars to suit. Doesn't happen. Turn on the heater.

Meh, whatever. We're talking about a car that has instant on heat, six inches from the steering wheel. We're talking about people who live all over, and a great many don't use, don't need, don't want heated steering wheels or seats. Unless you live in the cold hinterlands, you don't even need heat half the time.

Maybe Tesla will offer it as an option. I certainly don't want to pay for something I'll never use, even when I go to Tahoe. The wheel is leather, even. "I really don't understand the" attitude that because some people want it, Tesla should build their cars to suit. Doesn't happen. Turn on the heater.

You don't see the value of a feature that uses perhaps 300-400 watts tops that can warm your frigid hands in the winter and reduce the need to crank the 6-8 kW heater in an all-electric vehicle? o_O

Definitely three. There was good picture through the back window that showed them, but can't find it now.
I saw a mention of two in an article post-reveal, but I don't recall which. That's the normal configuration for a car this size, four total anchors, for two seats. Open question whether you can use the middle two anchors for a seat in the center, which is nice for rear-facing seats
Note that many cars have two sets of anchors at the seat base, and three on the seat back or package shelf. That's because you need the rear anchors for a top tether even if you're using the seatbelt to attach the seat base.

Another note on Latch, which I just discovered recently: there is now a 65lb weight limit for the Latch anchors, which applies to the combined weight of the child and the seat. So with a really heavy seat and/or child, you may not be able to (safely) use Latch anyway, and have to fall back to using the seat belt. Newer seats have a label doing the math for you, so you know how heavy a child you can use with Latch anchors. Some treat it as a selling point, if the seat is light-weight

Last edited: