Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Model 3 specs

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
This heated steering wheel is a big deal apparently. I've never had one. Does it do your laundry or something?

I have a heated steering wheel in my Leaf and I use it way more often than the heated seats.

From about 65F down to 45F I'll do steering wheel only. From 45F to 30F I'll do steering wheel and seat on low. From 30F and lower I'll do steering wheel and seat on high.

If I have passengers in the front or rear they have their own seat heaters (the rear heater is for the entire bench, so if one side doesn't want it and the other does that can't be split).

I won't even turn the fan on for cabin heat in the winter unless it is an unusual situation where seat heaters and clothing don't keep up with the cold.

The steering wheel heats up in a second or two, seat heaters take longer, cabin air heat from the vents takes longer still. I usually am back out of the car before the cabin heats up (so why waste the energy trying to heat the air).

But when it's that cold I am wearing gloves. So in order to appreciate the heated steering wheel I'd have to remove those after getting into my car. Instead, and this may be crazy of me, I just leave my gloves on.

Nope, I guarantee you that I feel the cold steering wheel through my thickest gloves and can feel the heated steering wheel through them also.

The thinner the gloves the sooner you'll feel the difference but you'll feel it no matter the style of gloves.

In fact the steering wheel gets too hot for some peoples taste so putting gloves between you and the steering wheel helps even out the temperature difference.

You still need gloves because the air on the side and back of the hand is colder than the heated steering wheel.

• Informative
Reactions: GSP
You don't see the value of a feature that uses perhaps 300-400 watts tops that can warm your frigid hands in the winter and reduce the need to crank the 6-8 kW heater in an all-electric vehicle? o_O

That is an excellent point. People arguing against heated steering wheels (who aren't from SoCal/ FL/ HI) have never tried them. I definitely gave an eyeroll when my parents were talking about them years ago, but eventually I got a car with it, and now I totally understand.

• They can save a boatload of energy (seriously with heated seats and steering wheel the cabin can be like 20 degrees colder in comfort)
  • helps warm you up WAY faster than a car's heater can,
  • don't require you to use "touchscreen enabled" gloves (has anyone ever found a pair that are warm, work well for touch, are comfortable, and provide decent tactile feel for ANY price?)
  • adds basically an extra level of dual climate zones (can finally keep the overall temp of the car reasonable with wife driving)
If you're going to argue against it, are you also arguing against heated seats? why have a heater at all? heck, why heat up the whole windshield when you only need to heat up the camera lenses?

Are you sure ?

Dude, I'm in my 40s, I spent decades driving cars in winter with gloves on, I have a heated steering wheel and I still drive with gloves on in the winter.

I have touchscreen gloves for warmer weather and cell phone use. I have driving gloves that are slightly warmer but have a better grip than the touchscreen gloves. And I have my massive thermally insulated gloves that you can barely get in the biggest pocket on an arctic rated coat.

Doesn't matter which pair of gloves I'm using I turn on the heated steering wheel. It's massively better than wrapping my gloves around a circular ice tube.

You've seen those gel packs and plastic sticks/bricks with liquid inside you put in a freezer to put in a cooler? Your steering wheel holds that cold just as well.

If you don't see the advantage you either aren't holding onto the steering wheel, or your car isn't sitting outside in the cold, or you are wasting tons of energy warming the car up before you get in it.

If range isn't an issue for you or money isn't an issue then fine, heat the car 24/7. Tap that preheat button in the app non stop day and night. But I'm telling you that for me a heated steering wheel is more important / more useful than a heated drivers seat.

• Love
Reactions: bpjod and GSP
I have a heated steering wheel on my Leaf. Do I like it? Yes. Will I still get a Model 3 if it doesn't have a heated steering wheel? Yes. Would I prefer it has one? Yes. Do I feel bad for someone that lives in CA that wants the premium package, but has no interest in heated anything, but still has to pay for them? A little bit. But I would feel worse for someone that lives in a cold climate that would really like one (for myriad reasons - a dislike for gloves, a propensity for being colder anyway due to poor circulation, just for the extra comfort -- all three apply to me), but couldn't get one? Yes. Can we all just get along? And please, @SageBrush, I know you're a miser (especially with energy), but please stop being so denigrating to those of us that actually enjoy a few extra comforts in our lives? It's not a crime.

You don't see the value of a feature that uses perhaps 300-400 watts tops that can warm your frigid hands in the winter and reduce the need to crank the 6-8 kW heater in an all-electric vehicle? o_O

No. And I come from the Great White North. Never had one. Never said to myself, 'Gee, I wish I had a heated steering wheel.' Etc... But then we're pretty rugged people. Kind of the same way Kenyan's and the like long distance run in bare feet. You toughen up if that's you're life. An no, most of us don't drive with gloves on in the winter, nor do we blare the heat in the cabin unless we're planning on taking our clothes off. ;)

• Funny
Reactions: ccutrer and X Fan
TY mod - tolerance is all we ask for sometimes :)

I do understand why Tesla combined everything into a PUP to keep it simple on the manufacturing plan; It raises the IRE of some folk who only wanted specific options vs value for those who want it fully loaded.

All good. For the record, being a former Michigander, love heated steering wheels. Now in SoCal, low needs, but the drive to Mammoth will definite be happier those cool AM mornings with it there. If Tesla wants to maintain a lux image -- have this and not become another 'chevy' brand

Reactions: GSP and ccutrer
The Standard Interior has a solid roof, 7 speaker audio system, fabric seating, heated manually adjustable 6-way front seats, center console with open storage.

The Premium interior has UV filtered glass roof, 15 speaker audio system, premium seating materials with a seat heater and USB for every passenger, 12 way power adjustable front seats with customer driver profiles, center console with covered storage, twin phone docks, power adjustable, folding and heated side mirrors, rear fold down arm rest, ambient interior lighting, Homelink for garage door with auto open/close, two years of free data connectivity...
So where did this info come from? I've seen your screenshots but where are they from? The Homelink and 'Airwave' info has been seen nowhere else except in these posts/slides. We really need to know what your source is.

So where did this info come from? I've seen your screenshots but where are they from? The Homelink and 'Airwave' info has been seen nowhere else except in these posts/slides. We really need to know what your source is.

The assumption would be from the order configurator form that only employees have been able to see so far. It would be odd for someone to fake all that just to mess with us. I am assuming it is likely real.

Reactions: GSP and tracksyde
I can't recall my mirrors icing up, is that really a problem in some places?

Oh yes. Try some place where they know the meaning of "Wintry Mix".

You don't see the value of a feature that uses perhaps 300-400 watts tops that can warm your frigid hands in the winter and reduce the need to crank the 6-8 kW heater in an all-electric vehicle?

Holy cats, man! You trying to cook a pizza? I can't imagine needing 100W for a steering wheel, and 6-8 kW is more than I have for my entire house. 6 kW would raise the temperature of the air in the car by about 40°F every minute.

Thank you kindly.

Maybe with the air vent right in front of the wheel, it will keep your hands warm enough. None of us have experienced this setup, so hard to say how it will compare to traditional dash vents.
I do agree that the heated wheel is something they will add at some point.
All of you that really need a heated wheel should delay your orders;)

Reactions: Kacey Green
You don't see the value of a feature that uses perhaps 300-400 watts tops that can warm your frigid hands in the winter and reduce the need to crank the 6-8 kW heater in an all-electric vehicle?

Holy cats, man! You trying to cook a pizza? I can't imagine needing 100W for a steering wheel, and 6-8 kW is more than I have for my entire house. 6 kW would raise the temperature of the air in the car by about 40°F every minute.

Thank you kindly.

From the leaf forums

"28F heater used 3kW to start and then dropped to 1.5kW after a few minutes then dropped to ~ 1kW for the rest of my 30 minute commute" and that's the heat pump version that's more efficient than the PTC version.

The PTC version starts out at 5kW.

Now if the little Leaf has a 5kW PTC heater how many KW do you think the Model S or X pump out for heating the cabin in a hurry?

People call the service center or dealership (whichever applies) if the heat doesn't come on quick and very hot. It doesn't need to use 6 kW non stop but I guarantee you people will complain if it doesn't start out that high.

That's why Leaf drivers use a heater off switch to disable the heat because 1-3 kW continuous is a big deal if you only have 15-20 kWh to use on a full charge.

And it's why people moving up to a Tesla think about it if they are trying for one of those long hops between superchargers in the upper midwest or maybe driving in remote parts of Canada.

Last edited:

Thank you kindly.

Haha! But actually you can see this sort of high power when trying to heat up a frigid car -- reduces after a while -- but when it's trying to get up to where you've set the temp I've seen a 5kW+ increase in consumption with my Volt. Googled for Tesla and found this (InsideEVs article) showing similar.