Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Model 3 Sr+ Door Closing Question

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
We just got out model 3 and when we shut the doors, they sometimes don't shut all the way, probably 75 percent of the time. You really have to shut the doors really hard for them to close all the way. Is this normal ? The door will close all the time if you slam them. The same goes for the trunk, you really have to slam it to close it.

I thought once the door latch caught , it would pull it the rest of the way close. Am I wrong on thinking this.

I thought once the door latch caught , it would pull it the rest of the way close. Am I wrong on thinking this.

No, it doesn't have the auto-closing feature on any doors or trunk(s). The trunk takes a little bit of force to close for some cars, check that the large rubber seal that goes around the edge of the trunk is fully seated (push on it) as i've heard that can contribute to additional closing difficulty.

Doors shouldn't really require slamming and i haven't had any trouble with mine not closing though.

It's a fairly common issue. Pretty much by design. But our truck closes easily it's just the doors (unfortunately especially the driver's).

Mobile service can adjust the latch position, in my case they didn't really want to for a couple reasonable-sounding reasons.

I posted about this on a FB group and of course got some idiots replying with stupid comments about being weak. Turns out a lot of people have the same issue. Some have had successful door adjustments via Service Requests and some have said that the seas will soften with some use over time.

My rear right door is like this. Takes a little more force than the other doors to close successfully each time. Thought about raising as a defect but a tiny bit more force and it's fine, and it doesn't seem to be a mechanical concern upon inspection. Annoying though...

I would say the door closing is similar to my Honda Civic. The door closing experience is no where near as good as Tesla’s main competition. (BMW, Mercedes, Audi, etc..)

Don’t even get me started on the Frunk... $%^#&!!!!