Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Model 3 SR+ LFP Battery Range, Degradation, etc Discussion

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I had the same thought, so I ran the battery health test in service mode yesterday. The results showed battery health at 92%, but the estimated range is still 227 miles. That math doesn’t add up, right (I started at 253, so 92% should be 232)?
The health test is probably a bit too positive.

The delivered energy is dependant on the power during the discharge. Lower power makes the battery deliver more energy.

The healt test use the AC/climate (?) to discharge the battery?
Anyway it is a slower discharge than normal driving (from where the BMS calculated energy comes) so the result would by principle exaggerate the real capacity in that test.

Question for the battery experts. On my 18 M3LR I see a range of 302 miles. This is a consistent number at full 100% charger. If I drive at 65 mph with manual AC etc I easily get that range.
When Tesla shows range, how do they want you to drive to get that range?

Question for the battery experts. On my 18 M3LR I see a range of 302 miles. This is a consistent number at full 100% charger. If I drive at 65 mph with manual AC etc I easily get that range.
When Tesla shows range, how do they want you to drive to get that range?
On the Model 3 LR RWD 2018, they want you to get 223Wh/mi to 224 Wh/mi. (Not 234Wh/mi)

Reactions: nicksp

Correction:
LFP not immune to higher degradation at 100%. Better than NMC but still higher degradation.
He states that there is a top buffer so 100% indicated SOC is actually about 95% true SOC and while holding the battery at a true 100% for many days in high temperatures would be problematic, charging to 100% briefly is not, and is required to balance the cells and give the BMS an accurate indication of true SOC.

He states that there is a top buffer so 100% indicated SOC is actually about 95% true SOC and while holding the battery at a true 100% for many days in high temperatures would be problematic, charging to 100% briefly is not, and is required to balance the cells and give the BMS an accurate indication of true SOC.
For what car?

I would say that Tesla do not use top buffers on their LFP's

There must be some sort of top buffer for the LFP as there is still a lot of regen when the battery is fully charged.

The actual amount I do not know, but clearly if it was 100% true SOC there would be zero regen.

Regen is not battery capacity dependent, it is BMS dependent. Agree that 100% is not true 100% but the car can also be set to allow no regen above 90%. See case of Powerwall that will no charge battery until down to 60%. It is all software.

Reactions: karlos22