Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Model 3 SR+ LFP Battery Range, Degradation, etc Discussion

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I was going to drive until 5-10% remaining to do the test. That should allow quicker discharge and after ending the test I would have 100% charged.

I wonder how the car would discharge, perhaps by preconditioning the battery pack.

Yep, apparently it runs the low efficiency compressor to generate heat (usually used only in very cold temps to assist the heat pump and for generating rapid heat for preconditioning) full ball until the battery is empty. Oh and don’t forget the battery preconditioning is on the same coolant circuit as everything else, which is the magic of the super manifold & octovalve. Good read here.

Reactions: USBSeawolf2000
Good luck
I just got 2022.36.5. It may take a week before I use up all the miles and then start the battery test.

My last 100% charge indicated 243 miles. I will see if BMS could calibrate and change this value.

good luck on this! I suddenly dropped a few more miles, so if you get any decent results I will follow your lead. I charge to 55% every day and in the last 2 or 3 days that equals 131 miles of range, which projects out to be 238 miles at 100%, a 5-mile loss. This after going for months stabilized at 243 miles…

• Informative
Reactions: AlanSubie4Life
Hello,

We all agree that the new LFP battery can be charged to 100% and that on a daily basis. So I work from home and obviously don’t drive daily. The same for my wife, so we drive a few kms during the week, and a bit more on the weekend. So my question, lets say Monday I’m at 100% do some errands come back home at 95%. No driving on Tuesday or Wednesday. Drive on Thursday and back at home at 91% and plug in…should I’ve had plugged in on Monday, is there a % that I should consider as the minimum before I charge. Trying to see what others are doing with the LFP battery. Thanks
I am also looking for an answer on this, should I be charging to 100% every day even with low mileage? I will be commuting 40 miles twice per week with a charger at work (after 20 mi)

Or should I charge to 70/80% and then to 100% once or twice per week?

I am also looking for an answer on this, should I be charging to 100% every day even with low mileage? I will be commuting 40 miles twice per week with a charger at work (after 20 mi)

Or should I charge to 70/80% and then to 100% once or twice per week?
~50%.

Charge to 100% once every week or two, just before days with more driving.

And charge at work to 50% (if it is low hassle).

Tesla should introduce a charging schedule (different charge targets each day) for this LFP.

Last edited:
Here is my experience with an LFP battery Model 3:
  • ~9.5 months since delivery.
  • ~11,500 miles since delivery.
  • Mostly economical driving, averaging similar to or better than the EPA rating.
  • Scheduled departure charging -- usually drive off 0-2 hours after charging finishes.
  • Usually charging to 65-70%.
  • Charging to 100% approximately once per week, usually when expected use is >30%.
  • Current displayed rated range at 100% is 266 miles, down from original 272 miles (-2.2%).
  • Initially fluctuated between 271 and 273 miles, then declined over the next several months, but has been at 266 for a few months.Note that
Note that the above minimize time parked at 100%, and avoid overnight parking at >70%.

Would it be different with different driving or charging habits?

Reactions: DuncanM and Baluchi
  • Mostly economical driving, averaging similar to or better than the EPA rating.
  • Scheduled departure charging -- usually drive off 0-2 hours after charging finishes.
  • Charging to 100% approximately once per week, usually when expected use is >30%.
  • Current displayed rated range at 100% is 266 miles, down from original 272 miles (-2.2%).
  • Initially fluctuated between 271 and 273 miles, then declined over the next several months, but has been at 266 for a few months.Note that
Note that the above minimize time parked at 100%, and avoid overnight parking at >70%.

Thanks, this is useful.
So one per week to 100% and the rest of the time set to 70%.

Not sure if I am being a bit dim but I always interpreted Teslas wording as ideally always charge to 100%. It’s only my low mileage that made me question it

‘Tesla recommends that you keep your charge limit set to 100%, even for daily use, and that you also fully charge to 100% at least once per week.’

Tesla recommends that you keep your charge limit set to 100%, even for daily use, and that you also fully charge to 100% at least once per week.’
Just note that this is to avoid any risk of BMS drift. Does impact capacity loss negatively, but you should do it, and manage it carefully (if you want to worry about capacity loss - which you don’t have to).

Tesla does not provide recommendations for minimizing capacity loss (they just want to ensure that you have less than 30% loss).

50% is better than 70% - but only if it works for you. Risk of unexpected trips during day, for example…

Do something convenient and just understand maximizing time at low SOC and shallow cycles are good.

Reactions: Dave EV
Just note that this is to avoid any risk of BMS drift.

Tesla does not provide recommendations for minimizing capacity loss (they just want to ensure that you have less than 30% loss).

50% is better than 70% - but only if it works for you. Risk of unexpected trips during day, for example…

Understood. Thanks for your help that’s been super useful.

Am I correct in saying the one charge to 100% per week charge will stop any BMS drift and ensure relatively accurate range estimates? I don’t often have long journeys but every 3/4 months I have the odd 400 miles to travel for field visits.

Am I correct in saying the one charge to 100% per week charge will stop any BMS drift and ensure relatively accurate range estimates?
Yes it is supposed to. Tesla recommends to do it a lot because they have no idea when people are going to take it below 5%.
My guess is that if you take it to 100% (even just once?) immediately before you take it to 5%, you’ll probably be ok. But not really sure how many repetitions are actually required (seems like one should be fine).

Reactions: Will97
Yes it is supposed to. Tesla recommends to do it a lot because they have no idea when people are going to take it below 5%.
Of course, in practice, most people will charge it to 100% just before a planned long trip.

However, they may be trying to avoid having people who (for example) use 25% every day charge to 50% and drive down to 25% each day, and then have unnoticed BMS inaccuracy that shows itself the day they take a side trip and see the remaining percentage suddenly drop from 20% to 10% or so.

Of course, in practice, most people will charge it to 100% just before a planned long trip.

However, they may be trying to avoid having people who (for example) use 25% every day charge to 50% and drive down to 25% each day, and then have unnoticed BMS inaccuracy that shows itself the day they take a side trip and see the remaining percentage suddenly drop from 20% to 10% or so.
Yes. The buffer seemed to expand to 11% in problem cases so it seems that max error might be on the order of 7%.

Probably pretty safe above 10%-15% and they seem to have some safeguards in place (which may be disconcerting!).

Just roughly. Seems like kind of a pain and of course the lowest stress thing is to just do the 100% charge thing regularly (the reason it would be nice to maybe have a charge limit scheduling routine).

Reactions: AAKEE

I'm exactly where you're at with 11900 miles (19150km) total. I have a March 2022 build date.

I've been L1 charging to 100% until just recently, but I don't know what the previous owner's (first ~10K miles) charging habits were.

Last edited:
They also don't want the fleet to get a reputation for excessive battery degradation (like the early Nissan Leaf). But if charging LFP batteries to 100% all the time means fleet average degradation no worse than the NCA battery fleet average, then that is probably satisfactory for this purpose for them.

I picked up my Model 3 lfp May 11 2022. Range showed 439km once at 100% SOC .It then settled at 438 for 11k then dropped to 432 at approximately15k.Now at 18k is at 431.Once a week I charge to 100% while in the city.To 100% if any road trips before the weekly full charge.I am really happy with this vehicle and have done some big road trips. Absolutely no range anxiety because of the brilliant Tesla charging network. Gotta stop for food and washroom anyways .Works well .

Reactions: pipp and DuncanM