Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Model 3 SR+ showing 166 miles at 80% charge.. is that right?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Point being, perhaps if you focused on SoC as a % of total battery capacity, monitored SoC charging when needed, and stopped looking at milage estimates you would be happier with your vehicle using it day to day, and not frustrated over the range versus the manufacturer provided range.

Agreed. I don't measure my phone's battery in "talk time". Just switch to percentage and enjoy the ride.

So you measure your iPad's utility in the amount of time you can use it on 80% charge every time you charge it? Or do you generally expect that when you charge it full you get a day's worth of use out of it and charge it again?

Looking at it another way - I don't think anyone measures ICE vehicles against the EPA standards and expects them to perform on the number - too many variables.

Point being, perhaps if you focused on SoC as a % of total battery capacity, monitored SoC charging when needed, and stopped looking at milage estimates you would be happier with your vehicle using it day to day, and not frustrated over the range versus the manufacturer provided range.
While I personally do exactly what you say and only care about %, the fact that Teslas often gets less than rated miles in the real world sucks.

I bought the car knowing exactly all of the limitations and reasons why it won't get rated miles in most real world cases, and I'm happy with what the car can offer me regardless. But I can sympathize and understand people who felt like they've been falsely advertised to.

Ok, so it happened to day. I charged my car to 100% (accidently left it at 100% after a trip). I had 240 miles of range when I left home. I got to work and I parked it with 169 miles. That's a 71 mile loss, however my odometer only shows I went 57 miles. My (ICE) Tacoma truck is way more accurate then this. Lets face it the mileage as is just a "guess o meter" at best. I'm sure it will get better with time and better batteries.
Ignore what you are seeing, nothing happened, it's just guessing differently.

The multipliers are specified, but car companies are allowed to report worse numbers than the test results if they choose (which seems to be why Porsche EVs have such poor EPA numbers but third party testers sometimes beat the EPA number by much more in Porsche EVs than other EVs -- perhaps Porsche assumes that its drivers will driver like Porsche drivers instead of EPA drivers so they do not want to disappoint them).

There are also some situations where a test result for one vehicle can be assumed to apply to another. Ford seemingly overstretched on that when it reported the 47/47 rating for the C-Max hybrid (taken from the Fusion hybrid), even though the C-Max had a much larger frontal area and aerodynamic drag that meant that no one was getting close to that (economy was still very good, but not as good as the EPA rating). Ford eventually had to redo the EPA ratings...
German law requires that the car is within 10% of any advertised performance specification at the time of delivery. Porsche under reports on all specs to be assured they are in compliance.

Reactions: tomsla
German law requires that the car is within 10% of any advertised performance specification at the time of delivery. Porsche under reports on all specs to be assured they are in compliance.
In addition the Taycans have additional battery capacity beyond what is stated in the pack! For failover purposes, that way there is no possible way it will fall below the threshold.

For anyone interested in maximizing their mileage, I am a big fan of this thread; particularly the OP.