Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Model 3 SR+ showing 166 miles at 80% charge.. is that right?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Is there a way I can detect battery degradation without doing that massive overnight test thing? (I don’t have access to an L2 charger).

At 100%, this is 207 miles (using a reverse percentage calculation)

It’s a 2019 UK M3, rarely supercharged, and it’s got 30,000 on the clock.

It’s also not too cold outside - the car isn’t showing the battery is cold.

These cars have a rated range of 254 miles right? I know it’s horseshit, but that means my battery is showing 81.49% of the rated range.

I’ve just set the car to charge to max so I can get a proper reading.

Is there a way I can detect battery degradation without doing that massive overnight test thing? (I don’t have access to an L2 charger).

At 100%, this is 207 miles (using a reverse percentage calculation)

It’s a 2019 UK M3, rarely supercharged, and it’s got 30,000 on the clock.

It’s also not too cold outside - the car isn’t showing the battery is cold.

These cars have a rated range of 254 miles right? I know it’s horseshit, but that means my battery is showing 81.49% of the rated range.

I’ve just set the car to charge to max so I can get a proper reading.
This car is rated for 240 so 207 is perfectly normal.

No need to run any tests. Your BMS thinks you have lost 13.5%.

Can move on to other things, no worries.

45.5kWh, 43.5kWh usable.

This is one of the many factors that shows it's an absolute pipe dream to think that the majority of car owners are gonna switch to BEVs in the next 10 years.

Also, the overwhelming majority of people who buy an electric vehicle swear off the internal combustion engine forever, and I'm one of them.

*ALL* auto manufacturers are switching to electric, so your "pipe dream" has already become a reality.

Also, the overwhelming majority of people who buy an electric vehicle swear off the internal combustion engine forever, and I'm one of them.

*ALL* auto manufacturers are switching to electric, so your "pipe dream" has already become a reality.
You're misunderstanding me. BEVs are the wave of the future, no doubt about it. But many people are claiming (and CA has made it policy) that gas powered cars will be effectively dead by 2035 or so. The lack of (non-Tesla) charging infrastructure, WILD variances in range due to temp, small weight changes, *rain*, along with drastic electricity prices from one area to another are going to hamper wide spread adoption much, much more than the pundits realize.

Reactions: rpiotro
This is a real problem with EVs. Not only less range but false mileage, I lose about 29 miles per day from where I start.
leave home with 189 miles, drive to work and back 120 miles, get home with 40ish miles.
And this illustrates my point. We have come to expect this type of behavior and we've got arguably the best BEV brand on the market. But many people cannot abide the level of uncertainty that comes with a current BEV.

People ask me if I would recommend my Tesla and I have to tell them that unless you're willing to adopt a *radically* different paradigm of car ownership (which most people right now don't want to do), then no, I can't recommend it.

And since the Tesla is the best of the bunch (but declining at an alarming rate), then I can't recommend a BEV at all right now. If I were to buy a new car now it would most definitely be a hybrid.

Last edited:
Reactions: Rottenapplr
Range is an issue because it is EASY to fill up a gas car on a road trip. Who cares that I have 200 miles of range instead of 250 in an ICE? I'll just stop at Chevron.
But with an EV, that difference may make the difference between getting to where you want to go much slower (due to additional charging stops), or *not getting there at all* because there aren't chargers to get you there.
It's a BIG difference from an ICE -- there is ALWAYS a gas station around to fill up at, and that fill-up takes less than 5 minutes.
So when people in an EV are "promised" a 270 mile range, they are going to be much more upset when the real-world range is 160 miles because you only charge at 80% to save your battery. These are things never told to anyone before they buy an EV.
In addition, ICE vehicle owners don't deal with phantom drain when the car is just sitting there doing nothing. While us Tesla owners lose 10 to 20 miles of range every night -- sometimes because Sentry is on, other times just because "it was cold out" or some other excuse for the mystery phantom drain that no one can actually explain but everyone on here says to just accept.
Instead of actually explaining range loss, though, most people on this forum just say to "set to percentage and enjoy the car!" That does nothing when the next charger is 220 miles away and you have 160 miles of range left.

Range is an issue because it is EASY to fill up a gas car on a road trip. Who cares that I have 200 miles of range instead of 250 in an ICE? I'll just stop at Chevron.
But with an EV, that difference may make the difference between getting to where you want to go much slower (due to additional charging stops), or *not getting there at all* because there aren't chargers to get you there.
It's a BIG difference from an ICE -- there is ALWAYS a gas station around to fill up at, and that fill-up takes less than 5 minutes.
So when people in an EV are "promised" a 270 mile range, they are going to be much more upset when the real-world range is 160 miles because you only charge at 80% to save your battery. These are things never told to anyone before they buy an EV.
In addition, ICE vehicle owners don't deal with phantom drain when the car is just sitting there doing nothing. While us Tesla owners lose 10 to 20 miles of range every night -- sometimes because Sentry is on, other times just because "it was cold out" or some other excuse for the mystery phantom drain that no one can actually explain but everyone on here says to just accept.
Instead of actually explaining range loss, though, most people on this forum just say to "set to percentage and enjoy the car!" That does nothing when the next charger is 220 miles away and you have 160 miles of range left.
Exactly right. And we're relatively spoiled because Tesla has the best charging infrastructure by lightyears.

Reactions: XPsionic
I wish my model 3 had a mode, so you could set so the mileage to error on the side of caution when estimating mileage. Not the best case estimate. You could even tailor it to the driver profile and driving habits.

"And since the Tesla is the best of the bunch (but declining at an alarming rate), then I can't recommend a BEV at all right now."
I think I would still recommend an EV but it's not going to be for everybody. Not everybody can buy a new car every 10 years and I'm not sure how well the batteries are going to hold up after 15 to 20 years.

I wish my model 3 had a mode, so you could set so the mileage to error on the side of caution when estimating mileage.

I wish Tesla never displayed miles remaining and only ever displayed percentage. That would resolve this issue for more users.

2035 is a long way off. There could be more fast DC chargers than gas stations by then.

I wish my model 3 had a mode, so you could set so the mileage to error on the side of caution when estimating mileage. Not the best case estimate. You could even tailor it to the driver profile and driving habits.
It already does at a highly accurate level. It is called the energy app. Now an option to use an energy app like approach to displaying the estimated remaining miles i.e. last 15 or 30 mile average as opposed to the EPA numbers on the main screen, I could get behind that. But again the data is already fairly accessible.

Last edited:
Reactions: DrChaos
17%, quite normal. 44kWh, 42kWh usable.
I don't care if it's "quite normal", IMO a 17% loss at 13,644 miles is quite bullsh!t... When they advertise an EV, they should advertise it with real world, perhaps, worst case scenario, range numbers, so people aren't duped into thinking they will get anywhere near the advertised range.. I didn't get 240 when it was new. I pity the folks that bought a straight SR, they're likely only getting 180 miles of range at 100% charge.