Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Model 3 SR+ showing 166 miles at 80% charge.. is that right?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
You and I know that, but most people get upset when “miles” per the indicator don’t translate to miles in terms of distance.
Yeah they should just display kWh left. Similar to what I would want in a gas tank display (how many gallons left), but it just is not something that is done. Never have had a car that tells me how many gallons I have left, which is annoying! It would be incredibly useful and make things so much easier.

% makes a lot less sense for something that changes size. In a gas car you can get away with it (fuel gauge) since the tank size is constant, but gallons would be better.

People understand gallons so kWh would be easily understood too.

Reducing complexity and making it simpler for people is always good. kWh - everyone understands them (or will).

Also makes cost calculations much more obvious.

Last edited:
Yeah they should just display kWh left. Similar to what I would want in a gas tank display (how many gallons left), but it just is not something that is done. Never have had a car that tells me how many gallons I have left, which is annoying! It would be incredibly useful and make things so much easier.

% makes a lot less sense for something that changes size. In a gas car you can get away with it (fuel gauge) but gallons would be better.

People understand gallons so kWh would be easily understood too.

Reducing complexity and making it simpler for people is always good. kWh!
I think everyone with a smartphone, which has a fuel tank that changes in size, understands percent + health indicator.

Just like everyone understands a gas gauge, which is really just an analog percent indicator.

kWh would be goofy.

I think everyone with a smartphone, which has a fuel tank that changes in size, understands percent + health indicator.
I don’t! I just know the phone just kind of sucks when it gets older. I don’t even know what 86% health is - except that it is apparently when Apple decides a replacement battery is required (service required). If 86% were 86% that would not be the case! Unfortunately 86% does not seem to be 86%.

kWh is super intuitive - just like gallons would be.

No need to make it complicated!

Reactions: Big Earl
I don’t! I just know the phone just kind of sucks when it gets older. I don’t even know what 86% health is - except that it is apparently when Apple decides a replacement battery is required (service required). If 86% were 86% that would not be the case! Unfortunately 86% does not seem to be 86%.

kWh is super intuitive - just like gallons would be.

No need to make it complicated!

Percent is the least bad option imho for a *default* setting. It works good enough for the medium driver. Would be great if Tesla gave us kWh as an option too.

Maybe instead of “health” staring at 100%, they instead show “capacity loss” starting at 0%. Makes more intuitive sense to me.

Reactions: father_of_6
IMO, EV range (and associated range anxiety) will always be a thing, even when charging stations are as ubiquitous as gas stations.

Why? You can't walk a mile to a charger, fill up a jerry can with enough electrons to drive to the charger location, carry it back to your car, and dump it in.
You either need AAA or some other roadside assistance with a generator, or a tow.

(Perhaps there will be advances in capacitor tech that render this moot in the future.)

IMO, EV range (and associated range anxiety) will always be a thing, even when charging stations are as ubiquitous as gas stations.

Why? You can't walk a mile to a charger, fill up a jerry can with enough electrons to drive to the charger location, carry it back to your car, and dump it in.
You either need AAA or some other roadside assistance with a generator, or a tow.

(Perhaps there will be advances in capacitor tech that render this moot in the future.)

That's true, but the market will solve that problem. The Uber of mobile charging will be at your stalled EV within 10 minutes for $20.

Next update will replace the miles remaining with one of these, and I bet everyone will stop complaining 🤪

fuel-gauge-symbol-isolated-on-white-background.jpg

only an idiot runs out of gasoline in an ICE vehicle

And this illustrates my point. We have come to expect this type of behavior and we've got arguably the best BEV brand on the market. But many people cannot abide the level of uncertainty that comes with a current BEV.

People ask me if I would recommend my Tesla and I have to tell them that unless you're willing to adopt a *radically* different paradigm of car ownership (which most people right now don't want to do), then no, I can't recommend it.

And since the Tesla is the best of the bunch (but declining at an alarming rate), then I can't recommend a BEV at all right now. If I were to buy a new car now it would most definitely be a hybrid.
Very true. I have a friend who lives in an apartment who’s using the gas cost to justify buying an electric car. Lol I’m thinking wait till you start paying 0.49/ kWh and charging every night at ca charging station driving 100 miles a day. Good luck buddy. His car is a 10yr old car paid off but gets about 25mpg.

Wow. Skimmed through all 3 pages and nobody seems to have caught on to the fact that the range is NOT necessarily indicative of the battery's degradation or current capacity. There is an exhaustive explanation of this already online that explains the mechanics of the load balancing between the packs and how the computer estimates range, as well as things you can do to give it a more accurate picture (such as leaving it for several hours at a state of charge that you normally don't). Long story short, if you're always at the same state of charge - or charging/driving - your computer loses track of actual battery capacity and starts guessing to some degree. To let it recalibrate and baseline let it drain down to a lower level than you normally do and sit overnight. Do this at a few different charge states and it will start to get a more accurate understanding of the battery's actual capacities.

Is there a way I can detect battery degradation without doing that massive overnight test thing? (I don’t have access to an L2 charger).

At 100%, this is 207 miles (using a reverse percentage calculation)

It’s a 2019 UK M3, rarely supercharged, and it’s got 30,000 on the clock.

It’s also not too cold outside - the car isn’t showing the battery is cold.

These cars have a rated range of 254 miles right? I know it’s horseshit, but that means my battery is showing 81.49% of the rated range.

I’ve just set the car to charge to max so I can get a proper reading.
IIRC the 2019 SR+s were rated at 240 miles. Also do you have the standard aero wheels or the 19" ? 19" reduce the range by 10% - I have the 19" wheels and when new my range showed 220 miles (and 240 when I changed the wheel size on screen). Mine's charging atm and shows 209 miles at 96% (I'm going to drive it as soon as it hits 100%) so 218 miles or roughly 1% drop.

Edited to add :

As the previous poster pointed out this isn't a true estimate - more of a "guestimate" the only true way to know is to have Tesla remotely diagnose the battery. Also don't forget they have an 8 year battery warranty so should it fall below 75% then that warrants a swap (though I havent heard of anyone having to do this).

Last edited:
and nobody seems to have caught on to the fact that the range is NOT necessarily indicative of the battery's degradation or current capacity.
Actually it is really well correlated.

If the range says you have lost 10%, then you’ve almost certainly lost 5-12%.

Easy to verify by driving the car (all that matters is how much the car lets you extract). And really haven’t seen any instances of people recovering their “lost” capacity to any significant degree. Batteries lose capacity. The estimate bounces around this capacity loss curve.

Is the estimate sometimes a bit off? Sure. But it is absolutely the best indicator of your remaining energy. Tesla does not want you to run out!

19" reduce the range by 10% - I have the 19" wheels and when new my range showed 220 miles (and 240 when I changed the wheel size on screen)

Never heard of this happening for this vehicle type.

Wheel selection should have no impact on rated range for this vehicle.
Are you saying my battery degraded by just driving it home?
Yes! It absolutely did.

Actually it is really well correlated.

If the range says you have lost 10%, then you’ve almost certainly lost 5-12%.

Easy to verify by driving the car (all that matters is how much the car lets you extract). And really haven’t seen any instances of people recovering their “lost” capacity to any significant degree. Batteries lose capacity. The estimate bounces around this capacity loss curve.

Is the estimate sometimes a bit off? Sure. But it is absolutely the best indicator of your remaining energy. Tesla does not want you to run out!

I don't recall - is that number range strictly based on rated consumption, or is it variable based on driving?