Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Model 3 Standard Range (Canada) Range: 150km

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
We do not know if Tesla agreed to stipulations with government incentives to lock capacity permanently.
This may not be within Tesla's legal control to do, and we are not party to those details.

The incentive was very specific on price, Tesla choose to sell a restricted SR- vehicle specifically to that price so the SR+ would qualify.

Or they just really didn’t want people to buy the SR-.

Your guess is as good as mine.

I still have a hard time seeing Tesla not allowing a range upgrade at some point in the future. Whether that's 1-3 years from now who knows. My guess is it will come once either the SR+ sales cool down or the incentive budget(s) runs out.
Will they offer a software upgrade? Sure, but you can pretty much bet the cost of the upgrade will be greater than the cost of just buying an SR+ right from the start. Especially if there is demand for such an upgrade, why would Tesla sell it for less than the original delta between SR- and SR+? Everything else they sell after delivery is more expensive, so 'all' these folks talking about buying an SR- and upgrading it down the road and coming out ahead have 1 of 2 outcomes in my opinion:

1. No software upgrade comes (or you opt not to buy it) and you have a 150km Tesla with very suspect resale value/value for the dollar.

2. Software upgrade comes at a 1-2k premium minimum vs just buying the SR+ from the get go (or an 'upgrade' to SR standard).

There's no free lunch here....IMHO of course :rolleyes:

Will they offer a software upgrade? Sure, but you can pretty much bet the cost of the upgrade will be greater than the cost of just buying an SR+ right from the start. Especially if there is demand for such an upgrade, why would Tesla sell it for less than the original delta between SR- and SR+? Everything else they sell after delivery is more expensive, so 'all' these folks talking about buying an SR- and upgrading it down the road and coming out ahead have 1 of 2 outcomes in my opinion:

1. No software upgrade comes (or you opt not to buy it) and you have a 150km Tesla with very suspect resale value/value for the dollar.

2. Software upgrade comes at a 1-2k premium minimum vs just buying the SR+ from the get go (or an 'upgrade' to SR standard).

There's no free lunch here....IMHO of course :rolleyes:

Paying a post-delivery upgrade premium is fine. If there is demand, Tesla can charge whatever they want for it and that's something any SR- buyer should expect before buying the car.

People should only buy the SR- because it meets their criteria and fits their circumstances. Buying it with any other kind of expectation is simply foolish.

Reactions: SmartElectric
To quantify how many people actually ordered the Canada 150KM version (SR- as many are calling it here), I spoke to a few Tesla Salespeople at the Vancouver Delivery Centre when I picked up my vehicle in June 2019. They said, on average, they were doing almost 100 deliveries a day (high volume due to the Federal and Provincial incentives combining as of May 2019). They indicated only 1 or 2 of these versions were going through each day, so maybe 1.5%?

So anecdotal, and definitely Vancouver-specific (I suspect even less folks would order this version East of here due to the extreme colder climates and longer distances driven/urban sprawl). But thought some of you would find that piece of info interesting.

In terms of Tesla Salespeople trying to dissuade purchasing this version, I met no resistance or up-selling at all throughout the entire process. They made sure it was clear that it would have 150KM of range when I ordered it, and again at delivery. But that’s all.

I agree with many of the folks here that it is a very niche segment who will find this version to fit their “daily” needs. And I can attest I did a lot of research (as most Tesla owners seem to do!) prior to making this decision, so we do exist, and I am very happy to finally own my first Tesla (as an original reservation holder since March 2016).

To quantify how many people actually ordered the Canada 150KM version (SR- as many are calling it here), I spoke to a few Tesla Salespeople at the Vancouver Delivery Centre when I picked up my vehicle in June 2019. They said, on average, they were doing almost 100 deliveries a day (high volume due to the Federal and Provincial incentives combining as of May 2019). They indicated only 1 or 2 of these versions were going through each day, so maybe 1.5%?

So anecdotal, and definitely Vancouver-specific (I suspect even less folks would order this version East of here due to the extreme colder climates and longer distances driven/urban sprawl). But thought some of you would find that piece of info interesting.

In terms of Tesla Salespeople trying to dissuade purchasing this version, I met no resistance or up-selling at all throughout the entire process. They made sure it was clear that it would have 150KM of range when I ordered it, and again at delivery. But that’s all.

I agree with many of the folks here that it is a very niche segment who will find this version to fit their “daily” needs. And I can attest I did a lot of research (as most Tesla owners seem to do!) prior to making this decision, so we do exist, and I am very happy to finally own my first Tesla (as an original reservation holder since March 2016).

Hi, I just join the club as I am looking into getting a tesla because of the self drive technology, may I know if the tesla you got is the $44900 with 150km range. Did you know if the car has AP at time of purchase. Does it include the partial premium?

• Disagree
Reactions: fidodido
I bought the Tesla SR with 150 km a few weeks ago. At delivery it was a SR+ with the same range, I was able to charge the car again and again to the same rabge until I connected to car to Wifi and upgraded the software to the latest version. After the software update, the range was locked at 158km for a while and I was not able to charge anymore (it said that it was full) untill the range came under 158km.

Why did I chose this version?

1 - The range is sufficient for me (I drive no more than 30km a day) If I need to drive more (once or twice a year), I just stop at superchargers, there are many SC in the region and less than 100km one from the other.

2 - I don't need autopilot as I'm in the city and no highway on a daily basis

3 - It was 44,999$ + taxes minus the incentives compared to the SR+ which was 30% more expensive after taxes and incentives. I didn't want to pay $110 more every months for 8 years for a range I won't use

4 - Other brands are available for the same price with higher range but nothing comparable and range was not my focus.

5 - I love this car, I dreamed about it for years, I love its look and this version is answering all my needs

6 - 3 years ago, when I placed my deposit, Tesla promoted a car at $35k USD and I was expected a car with basic interior (fabric on the seats, limited sound system, no glass roof, etc...) instead I have the same interior as a premium and I love it.

7 - IF my situation change or IF I win the lotery, I will just purchase a new Tesla and I will give this car back to testa (they will sale it as a SR+ with a push on a button)

8 - I'm not expecting an upgrade for the range or any miracle, I love my car and I don't regret my choice. If you can afford the SR+ and/or if you have a need for it go for the SR+ it's the best choice for the majority of the buyers but for a minority like me, the SR- can be considered.

9 - I'm not sure why Tesla wouldn't offer an upgrade in range, as an upgrade in range still qualifies for the incentive (It's the SR+)

10 - I love my Tesla model 3 SR-

Ok, I'll admit it, I have been thinking of the SR- for a while now.
I drive 12000 km yearly on my short commute.
My 100 km range EV is perfectly suitable for that.
Any Model 3, SR-, SR+ is just a massive overkill for the "commute appliance" needs I have.

It's almost a "badge of distinction" to drive my Smart ED, I love it exactly because it's such an unusual car, I mean "distict" as "unique" LOL!!!

BUT, having driven my wife's Tesla S85 to work recently, I am continually reminded just how special a Tesla is to drive. I actually look forward to driving our Tesla for the bigger weekend trips.

I know this will sound strange, but I want Tesla to succeed so much I would not personally buy the SR- (today) as I realize there isn't much margin in it for Tesla. I would prefer their limited production capacity serve people like @Mikeiphone7 who can revel in their new Tesla, whereas I already have a Tesla in the driveway and I could drive it any time I want, for my commute or any other reason.

Thanks for listening.

Like others have mentioned the SR- could be just the answer to gain a M3 and keeping a range that suits my daily needs (downtown Vancouver)
After incentives the price is attractive, to me, and gets me in a M3 at the cheapest purchase point. I am still considering this version and it is a personal choice and I have researched all angles. I owned an S75 previously which was sold for the move to BC.
Also used BC used S/X/3 prices are still holding really strong :-(

Like others have mentioned the SR- could be just the answer to gain a M3 and keeping a range that suits my daily needs (downtown Vancouver)
After incentives the price is attractive, to me, and gets me in a M3 at the cheapest purchase point. I am still considering this version and it is a personal choice and I have researched all angles. I owned an S75 previously which was sold for the move to BC.
Also used BC used S/X/3 prices are still holding really strong :-(

Absolutely. If the 150km range is enough for you that should really be all that matters... the SR- is still a really good car. Of course it's not a sure thing but in my mind it's only a matter of time before SR- owners are allowed to upgrade to SR+ in Canada.

Is there still a 50k cdn SR option as well? Or is it just 45k SR- or 55k SR+?

Not having all the options on the configurator sure is confusing!

Pretty it is just sr- and sr+ only.

This is my understanding.

Yep, no such thing as SR normal in Canada. SR- literally costs Tesla the exact same amount to manufacture as the SR normal so they really dont want people to buy them as they are losing money on that sale....whatever their profit on an SR normal may be, the SR- is 2k (?) less, so their profit is 2k less. Presumably since they didn't just drop the price of the SR by 2k they really dont want a huge influx of people buying a model 3 at that price point and want to push people to the SR+.....

Yep, no such thing as SR normal in Canada. SR- literally costs Tesla the exact same amount to manufacture as the SR normal so they really dont want people to buy them as they are losing money on that sale....whatever their profit on an SR normal may be, the SR- is 2k (?) less, so their profit is 2k less. Presumably since they didn't just drop the price of the SR by 2k they really dont want a huge influx of people buying a model 3 at that price point and want to push people to the SR+.....

This is correct.

I’m not sure why they didn’t keep the SR in the lineup at CAN$47k (220 mile/ 352KM range), introduce the SR- at CAN$45k (150KM range), and keep the SR+ at CAN$55k (240 mile/384KM range). This would have qualified the Model 3 for the Federal incentive and all those who purchased the SR- would surely have paid the extra $2k for the SR. But I guess they felt with the Model 3 now qualifying for the government incentives, by removing the normal SR from the lineup they would sell more SR+ which I’m sure they have, thus making more profit.

Last edited:
This is correct.

I’m not sure why they didn’t keep the SR in the lineup at CAN$47k (220 mile/ 352KM range), introduce the SR- at CAN$45k (150KM range), and keep the SR+ at CAN$55k (240 mile/384KM range). This would have qualified the Model 3 for the Federal incentive and all those who purchased the SR- would surely have paid the extra $2k for the SR. But I guess they felt with the Model 3 now qualifying for the government incentives, by removing the normal SR from the lineup they would sell more SR+ which I’m sure they have, thus making more profit.
They didn't keep the normal SR at 47k because no one would ever buy the SR- that has less than half the range in that case....it would literally the same thing as dropping the price of the SR by 2k if they did that because you would have to be insane to not spend the extra 2k to more than double your range.

SR to SR+ is a good chunk of change, but I'd bet any SR- owners would have easily gone the extra 2k for SR normal if they could get the incentive.

This is correct.

Likely due to exchange rate fluctuations and keeping the SR+ qualified for the federal incentive. Also, from a production standpoint, the SR would require tool changes and process changes which would bring the line down. Line down = no money coming out. Thus, the SR+ is born. All the same parts minus a few bits.

Economy of scale at work :)

This is correct.

I think it’s because of the wording of the Federal rebate. You can’t have two “standard range” versions, and the base model had to meet the Feds regs. *shrug*

They didn't keep the normal SR at 47k because no one would ever buy the SR- that has less than half the range in that case....it would literally the same thing as dropping the price of the SR by 2k if they did that because you would have to be insane to not spend the extra 2k to more than double your range.

SR to SR+ is a good chunk of change, but I'd bet any SR- owners would have easily gone the extra 2k for SR normal if they could get the incentive.
I'm replying to myself above (conversing with myself....not a good sign). I realized I didn't make my point above clear:

If Tesla had SR-/SR/SR+ and since basically no one would ever buy an SR- then I presume the government would have taken some issue with Tesla creating a vaporware product that no one ever bought just to qualify the SR and SR+ for the program. Making a price differential between SR- and SR+ they apparently ensured at least a few SR- would be delivered, so that would prevent being disqualified from the program. Otherwise they could also offer a model S with 10km of range for 49,999, never sell one, and then allow a regular model S to qualify for the incentive.

Reactions: MP3Mike and bijan
Otherwise they could also offer a model S with 10km of range for 49,999, never sell one, and then allow a regular model S to qualify for the incentive.

Except there's a 15 kWh minimum capacity to be eligible for the federal rebate. I guess that's where the 150km comes from. Actually technically 15 kWh would give around 100km range, maybe Tesla is being generous :p

• Funny
Reactions: pcons