Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Model 3 Standard Range (Canada) Range: 150km

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
They did not promise you could drive 150 km in any conditions, with any load, at any speed, etc. And no you certainly could not drive 150km in any conditions prior to V10. It may have reported that the estimated range was 150km before V10...

But in any case your warranty is only for 70% of 150km. And your available range will suffer from degradation and conditions.

The SR+ had the "EPA Estimate" on it because that is a car subject to EPA ratings and it hadn't completed the EPA certification process yet. The SR you got isn't subject to EPA requirements is it? (What does Canada require for range ratings?)
Although Tesla doesn’t suggest the range to be subject to conditions, therefore one cannot assume either way. However, what one can assume is that this range is subject to reasonable conditions.

Canada has its own fuel economy system. The very car is rated for 151KM in fact.

Page 44
https://www.nrcan.gc.ca/sites/www.n...s/fuelratings/2019 Fuel Consumption Guide.pdf

Here is what Tesla explicitly says about the range display:

“When fully charged, the driving range displayed is based on regulating agency certification (Environmental Protection Agency - EPA).”

Shouldn’t my car show 151KM in my case on a full charge then?

Here is what Tesla explicitly says about the range display:

“When fully charged, the driving range displayed is based on regulating agency certification (Environmental Protection Agency - EPA).”

Shouldn’t my car show 151KM in my case on a full charge then?

Not if your battery has degraded and can no longer support the originally delivered range.

The only promise Tesla has made to you is that your range estimate at a 100% charge will be at least 105km while your battery warranty is still in effect.

Reactions: Big Earl
Not if your battery has degraded and can no longer support the originally delivered range.

The only promise Tesla has made to you is that your range estimate at a 100% charge will be at least 105km while your battery warranty is still in effect.
Tell me how my battery degrades when I only can charge to 43%. To get this kind of degradation, I’d need to charge to 100% constantly and leave it at that capacity always. It so happens that even Bjorn’s TM3 also randomly lost range after V10?

I’m a new owner of the sr- and want to point out a few things that I wanted to know but couldn’t find.....

The cell % is not locked it’s actual 150km. So regardless of climate it’s charging to 150km. You can charge it to 100%. There is no fog lights, no heated seats, and no AP. The cost was $41,279 After rebate (5k federal) before tax. It’s takes about 30 hours to charge with a 110v/ 15amp plug. 12 amp in the car. 4.3 hours on 30 amp. 3.1 on 40amp. The reason I chose this as it’s a second vehicle and I use it for small commutes around the city....such as kids to practice, grocery store etc. I charge it only on the 110 but plug it all the time when I’m not using it in my garage ...
Does it always charge to 150km @100%? If so that's no different than other Teslas which will charge to rated miles/km at whatever percentage regardless of temperature. Or does it drive 150km regardless of how you drive or how much heat you use? If so that is different and unique.

so bare with me it’s a new car and learning. So what I’m noticing is if I’m an “efficient” driver let’s call it then I get 150km charge but got 168km of range real World. If I race to red lights, heat music suck lots of power. Then next time I go to charge the range was cut to 142km on charge. So I’m really not sure how this range calculation is done. So maybe it is a percentage of battery usuals?? My car is in a heated garage so not seeing issues on temperature as of yet as I do short trips and back to the garage...

• Helpful
Reactions: dandan
Everyone with a 150km M3 needs to be aware that the voltage curve at 43% SoC is *way* flatter than it is at 90-100% SoC. This means that the BMS range estimation will be MUCH (we’re talking 10x not 10%) less accurate, determining SoC is a very difficult problem to start off with and never charging to 100% makes determining true SoC at least 10x harder. Do not expect this problem to be fixed but I *would* expect that Tesla is fudging on the “low-estimation” side. Some brave soul should check to see how far they can drive past 0km range.

• Helpful
Reactions: MP3Mike
so bare with me it’s a new car and learning. So what I’m noticing is if I’m an “efficient” driver let’s call it then I get 150km charge but got 168km of range real World. If I race to red lights, heat music suck lots of power. Then next time I go to charge the range was cut to 142km on charge. So I’m really not sure how this range calculation is done. So maybe it is a percentage of battery usuals?? My car is in a heated garage so not seeing issues on temperature as of yet as I do short trips and back to the garage...

No, the range estimate is not based off your driving history. (Unless you are looking in the energy app.)

It is just based on an estimate of how much energy is in the battery pack. And that estimate can be off. On the original Model S 40, they let people bring it in once a year to be charge to a real 100%, it was actually a 60 kWh pack, so that it could be properly balanced. I haven't seen that they do that anymore, but maybe they have improved the balancing so that it isn't necessary anymore.

Everyone with a 150km M3 needs to be aware that the voltage curve at 43% SoC is *way* flatter than it is at 90-100% SoC. This means that the BMS range estimation will be MUCH (we’re talking 10x not 10%) less accurate, determining SoC is a very difficult problem to start off with and never charging to 100% makes determining true SoC at least 10x harder. Do not expect this problem to be fixed but I *would* expect that Tesla is fudging on the “low-estimation” side. Some brave soul should check to see how far they can drive past 0km range.

interesting theory and making sense. Besides, recommend charging practice for SR+ owner is 20% to 80%, that translates to SR- owners means better not leave your battery below 40% (60km), and charge to full (150km) is absolutely fine.

No, the range estimate is not based off your driving history. (Unless you are looking in the energy app.)

It is just based on an estimate of how much energy is in the battery pack. And that estimate can be off.

correct, guess-o-meter is not based on driving habit, weather, etc, but battery capacity.

I gave out early warnings in this post to the SR- owners that they will be shocked in the winter as most practice way of Tesla locking the range is to lock the battery capacity, not the range. There’s no way Tesla can lock a car by range. At that time, people criticize me selfish:(

@dandan Forgot to mention, whether it’s showing 136 or 139km, it doesn’t matter. Because you won’t be able to even drive 100km with a full charge right now, I bet! For me as a SR+ owner, i can barely drive 200km with full charge if I don’t charge everyday. Hope that makes you feel better.

Last edited:
All fuss aside, seems like Tesla has pushed a config update and now our cars no longer show Standard Plus and are now Standard.

Our speakers seems to sound a bit off now... I believe 2 more speakers are disabled now.

talk about more things removed in this car than delivered...

• Disagree
Reactions: SmartElectric
All fuss aside, seems like Tesla has pushed a config update and now our cars no longer show Standard Plus and are now Standard.

Our speakers seems to sound a bit off now... I believe 2 more speakers are disabled now.

talk about more things removed in this car than delivered...

I thought the 150 km version was supposed to be Standard from the get-go.

Glass half-empty: "They removed things from my car!"

Glass half-full: "I got a several month free trial of immersive sound!" :D