Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Model 3 Standard Range (Canada) Range: 150km

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I’m a new owner of the sr- and want to point out a few things that I wanted to know but couldn’t find.....

The cell % is not locked it’s actual 150km. So regardless of climate it’s charging to 150km. You can charge it to 100%. There is no fog lights, no heated seats, and no AP. The cost was $41,279 After rebate (5k federal) before tax. It’s takes about 30 hours to charge with a 110v/ 15amp plug. 12 amp in the car. 4.3 hours on 30 amp. 3.1 on 40amp. The reason I chose this as it’s a second vehicle and I use it for small commutes around the city....such as kids to practice, grocery store etc. I charge it only on the 110 but plug it all the time when I’m not using it in my garage ...

Very cool, thank you for the detailed update. That's fascinating Tesla's written the code for a different type of range lock for the SR-.

I’m a new owner of the sr- and want to point out a few things that I wanted to know but couldn’t find.....

The cell % is not locked it’s actual 150km. So regardless of climate it’s charging to 150km. You can charge it to 100%. There is no fog lights, no heated seats, and no AP. The cost was $41,279 After rebate (5k federal) before tax. It’s takes about 30 hours to charge with a 110v/ 15amp plug. 12 amp in the car. 4.3 hours on 30 amp. 3.1 on 40amp. The reason I chose this as it’s a second vehicle and I use it for small commutes around the city....such as kids to practice, grocery store etc. I charge it only on the 110 but plug it all the time when I’m not using it in my garage ...

Does it always charge to 150km @100%? If so that's no different than other Teslas which will charge to rated miles/km at whatever percentage regardless of temperature. Or does it drive 150km regardless of how you drive or how much heat you use? If so that is different and unique.

• Informative
Reactions: willow_hiller

I’ll wait for you to drive 150km on one charge in the winter and post your results.. I’m pretty sure you will find you won’t be going the full 150km in the winter. The %/km readout is a fixed calculation which doesn’t take into account weather or past driving habits.

welcome to the special club! However, you’d be surprised what we are seeing. We’re not getting the full 150km and are limited based on percentage. We only end up with 142KM on a full charge in a garage heated at 14C on a good day. Sometimes we end up with 138KM as well. @Amdax and @abbott and confirm this as well.

I’ve been trying to get Tesla to fix this and they either close my case, or my appointment without notice. They did tell @Amdax that they’d charge him $250 for the diagnosis if the battery doesn’t have any problems.

Attachments

• F3664B7A-8E56-46EF-A5DF-09B5C044E769.jpeg
    F3664B7A-8E56-46EF-A5DF-09B5C044E769.jpeg
    173.3 KB · Views: 139
I’ve been trying to get Tesla to fix this and they either close my case, or my appointment without notice. They did tell @Amdax that they’d charge him $250 for the diagnosis if the battery doesn’t have any problems.

Why would you expect that you wouldn't suffer any degradation like every other Tesla suffers? (Remember your battery warranty doesn't kick in until your 100% charge level drops below 105km.)

• Disagree
Reactions: pcons and dandan
Why would you expect that you wouldn't suffer any degradation like every other Tesla suffers? (Remember your battery warranty doesn't kick in until your 100% charge level drops below 105km.)
There shouldn’t be any degradation. Our battery is the same battery as SR+. We got that range upon delivery. The degradation should really come off the higher end of the battery capacity. This is just a software issue. The battery is totally capable of doing it. When it comes to winter, 8km is a big difference! Others report even more reduced range.

Last edited:
  • Disagree
Reactions: pcons and MP3Mike

I do expect degradation over time, but to see 8-10% degradation after just 4 months (and 5,000 KMs) of ownership (manufactured in May 2019, delivered June, observed in October) seems a bit sooner than warranted. Will be interested to hear from other similar model owners on their experiences.

On a side note, based on my OBD2 reader, the highest battery capacity percentage I have seen lately is 39.84% at 100%

This means that the battery is literally capped at the lower end, the further we drain our batteries and it’s health.

There shouldn’t be any degradation. Our battery is the same battery as SR+. We got that range upon delivery. The degradation should really come off the higher end of the battery capacity. This is just a software issue. The battery is totally capable of doing it. When it comes to winter, 8km is a big difference! Others report even more reduced range.

But that isn't how Tesla does the software battery capacity locking. They lock you to a percentage of the real capacity and then you share in the degradation.

Reactions: pcons
I do expect degradation over time, but to see 8-10% degradation after just 4 months (and 5,000 KMs) of ownership (manufactured in May 2019, delivered June, observed in October) seems a bit sooner than warranted. Will be interested to hear from other similar model owners on their experiences.

But it is inline with the US SR cars are stated to have 240 miles of range and a lot of them are reporting that a 100% charge is now only ~220 miles.

Tesla increased the low end buffer and all model 3 (or a very large proportion) are seeing 5-10% 'range loss' after this change. Tesla has never promised to use the locked part of the battery to give SR- a different driving experience vs any other model 3 variant. Lots of things are 'just software', but in this case the capacity is locked at start of life and goes down just like everyone elses....until they offer a software unlock to full SR or Sr+.... at which point the degradation will still work the same ;)

What was it then? What rating method did they use? (Does Canada have their own range estimation procedure?)

This is the rating we were promised. No mention of estimate. It is a HARD number. If I was promised a fully 150km range car. I expect a car that has 150km no matter what conditions. This was the case before the V10 update.

Attachments

• tesla-model-3-federal-incentives.png
    tesla-model-3-federal-incentives.png
    87.8 KB · Views: 138
This doesn't add up. Snowflake icon and I get 139KM. No snowflake icon and I have 135km??? Come on guys.... make some sense.

You guys are just like back in the old days with Hybrid car. What is the diff between 135 km and 139 km. In the ICE age, your car will stop telling you the range when it's almost empty.

Those number are just estimate. I use percentage, I drive a LR RWD, in a good day, I multiple by 5, in a bad day, by 2 or by 3. I will never let the car go down below 20% for too long. There is I would have 40 km to 100 km before it's empty.

With ICE, you can walk to a gas station and get gas. With Tesla, you just don't do that. Period.

You guys are just like back in the old days with Hybrid car. What is the diff between 135 km and 139 km. In the ICE age, your car will stop telling you the range when it's almost empty.

Those number are just estimate. I use percentage, I drive a LR RWD, in a good day, I multiple by 5, in a bad day, by 2 or by 3. I will never let the car go down below 20% for too long. There is I would have 40 km to 100 km before it's empty.

With ICE, you can walk to a gas station and get gas. With Tesla, you just don't do that. Period.
The problem is that the estimated range available is RATED range, not based on how you drive. Therefore the rated range should not fluctuate. It gets worse when you have only 150KM and a bit is eaten up by cold climate and then having the car itself not charge another 10+KM is where things go wrong. That is a substantial amount of battery loss... sometimes further than 10% loss.

• Disagree
Reactions: coconutboy84
This is the rating we were promised. No mention of estimate. It is a HARD number. If I was promised a fully 150km range car. I expect a car that has 150km no matter what conditions. This was the case before the V10 update.

They did not promise you could drive 150 km in any conditions, with any load, at any speed, etc. And no you certainly could not drive 150km in any conditions prior to V10. It may have reported that the estimated range was 150km before V10...

But in any case your warranty is only for 70% of 150km. And your available range will suffer from degradation and conditions.

The SR+ had the "EPA Estimate" on it because that is a car subject to EPA ratings and it hadn't completed the EPA certification process yet. The SR you got isn't subject to EPA requirements is it? (What does Canada require for range ratings?)