Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Model 3 Tearing it Up at the Track

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Harness bar in, going to paint-

NL1ADo4.jpg

Reactions: beastmode13
Possibly my favorite thread on the forum.

Also really interested in those 19mm wheel studs and ceramic bearings. Were those a one-off custom order for you or do you think they will be made available for sale? Either way, I've been enjoying following this on instagram as well as on here.

Beautiful, great work! Any idea how much weight the cage added? X-bars look very nice :)

191 lbs. Probably over 200 with baseplates. Could have saved a chunk of weight, maybe 30-40 lbs, by just building to min requirements (e.g. one diagonal, no rear cross bracing, no gussets). But after racing long enough, you see enough wrecks and you know enough people that get hurt, and it's just not worth it to skimp. Add lightness everywhere but the cage. Others may disagree and that's ok!

Possibly my favorite thread on the forum.

Also really interested in those 19mm wheel studs and ceramic bearings. Were those a one-off custom order for you or do you think they will be made available for sale? Either way, I've been enjoying following this on instagram as well as on here.

Custom - these guys only do it for professional racing teams; I just happened to know some people. But I'm actually doing some revisions. The first were good, but not yet perfect.

If there's enough interest I could look into setting up a group buy. Maybe send a DM so I know it's worth taking the time and checking in w/ mods? A few others have reached out, so we may be getting close.

Now for something really cool. Finally, a detachable racing wheel!

IIb4tZq.jpg

This took quite a bit of work. The Model 3 is different because its steering wheel buttons are critical to operating the car. Computer reset, mirror angles, & steering wheel placement all happen through there.

And from what I can tell, the shaft splines are unique to Tesla too. Really similar to Mercedes actually, but keyed at the top and bottom so that the wheel can only go on the right way, every time. Kinda cool.

But all this means you can't just pop off the OEM steering wheel and throw on an aftermarket adapter + racing wheel. Maybe someday a manufacturer will build something. But this is what we did:

Starting with a custom hub adapter designed in solidworks-

yZNTBxi.jpg

3D printing a prototype to test fitment-

FwEFkoa.jpg

Took a couple tries but fits great. Rothsport quick release shown below-

60ylOID.jpg

Next getting the adapter milled (right) and a custom plate to hold the buttons (left)-

ezssPsT.jpg

Putting it all together looks something like this. The third piece in the back was cut out from the OEM wheel and attaches to the steering shaft.

ditMaUk.jpg

Sent out to be anodized and finally put on. Money!

5bs9ezx.jpg

The full assembly shown from above. Steering column > OEM backing > adapter hub > button plate > quick release > wheel. Retains full button functionality and steering angle sensors.

u042liA.jpg

There you have it. Weeks of work summed into one 5 min read!

But seriously, hopefully this shows the level of effort being put into this build. Excited to share more of whats coming next.