Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Model 3 Tires, Tire Sizes, Types, make / model recommendations, tire discussions, etc

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.

My aims:
1. Keep it quiet. My ears are hyper-sensitive to road noise
2. Don't introduce dimensional hiccups (computer not recognizing or adjusting to odd size circumferences)
3. This should actually be Number 1: stop curb rashes. Uberturbines and 235/35/20s are a joke!
4. Adding a little more grip would be a bonus

These points would have been at least slightly improved if Michelin 245s were T0 rated.
The Michelin Pilot Sport Tesla version of the 235/35 actually has several modifications. It is slightly wider - more than a quarter of an inch actually in terms of the tread making it as wide as an average 255/35. Obviously the section width is not as wide but the tread width is significantly different. The acoustic foam doesn't make a dramatic difference but it does make the tire quieter. What's much more troubling than the absence of a Tesla spec 245/35 in the Pilot Sport 4S is the fact that you can no longer get the Tesla spec 275/30. Not clear if it's a supply chain issue or whether Michelin is no longer making that tire.
Please explain the difference between Telsa-approved tires with T0 and T1 designation.
Thanks.
T0 and T1 refer to first and second generation Tesla spec tires. Some people thought that first designation was t o but it's actually t-0. Unclear what the generational difference might be but probably just an improvement in Rolling resistance and efficiency. The Pilot Sport 4S Tesla spec is probably the prototype for this with acoustic foam, probably slightly different tire compounding (potentially softer on the outer edge and harder on the crown) and a significantly wider tread. Not an efficiency champ but a great tire and very popular still as the most desired street Tire on model 3 dual motor and performance.

It really is a myth that tires can stop curb rash. If you hit a curb it is going to impact the tire and the wheel in almost all cases.

Where the tires can help are pot holes. A thicker sidewall definitely can help in those cases.

245s won’t help any of those things in reality. 18s with the foam would be your best choice or just the standard T0 or T1 tires if you stick to a 19” or 20” diameter.
Big agreement on all of this in the quoted post. Except I still prefer 245 over 235 on 8.5" wide wheels, because even though it's super similar and really not that different, I'd rather have the smidge of extra diameter and width and sidewall than not.

However, for anyone who wants a T0/T1/etc foam lined Tesla OEM tire, there's no reason to stress at all about 235 vs 245. Just get the tire you want, and if that means 235, it's totally fine. 20" vs 19" vs 18" is a much more consequential difference though. Not for cornering grip/performance, but for wheel protection (from bad pavement not curbs), tire and wheel cost, and ride quality. Smaller diameter wheels / taller sidewall is better for all of those things.

My preferences in tires, and wheel sizing, means I generally end up NOT getting Tesla OEM tires anyways, so therefore I prefer 245/45R18 for the 18x8.5" wheels on my M3P, but I certainly acknowledge that 245 vs 235 is no big deal.

For what it's worth Tesla themselves fit 245 on 8.5" wide from the factory fitment on our older Tesla. My last ICE car also came with 245 on 8.5" wide. It's normal. Tesla just went narrower on the Model 3 for whatever reason (probably super tiny efficiency gain).

Big agreement on all of this in the quoted post. Except I still prefer 245 over 235 on 8.5" wide wheels, because even though it's super similar and really not that different, I'd rather have the smidge of extra diameter and width and sidewall than not.

However, for anyone who wants a T0/T1/etc foam lined Tesla OEM tire, there's no reason to stress at all about 235 vs 245. Just get the tire you want, and if that means 235, it's totally fine. 20" vs 19" vs 18" is a much more consequential difference though. Not for cornering grip/performance, but for wheel protection (from bad pavement not curbs), tire and wheel cost, and ride quality. Smaller diameter wheels / taller sidewall is better for all of those things.

My preferences in tires, and wheel sizing, means I generally end up NOT getting Tesla OEM tires anyways, so therefore I prefer 245/45R18 for the 18x8.5" wheels on my M3P, but I certainly acknowledge that 245 vs 235 is no big deal.

For what it's worth Tesla themselves fit 245 on 8.5" wide from the factory fitment on our older Tesla. My last ICE car also came with 245 on 8.5" wide. It's normal. Tesla just went narrower on the Model 3 for whatever reason (probably tiny efficiency gain).
I moved from OEM 235/40R18 to 245/40R19, lost the foam but can't honestly tell, the main thing that I heard is wind and it overpowers all other sources of sound. Maybe on a newer Tesla with double panned glass I would be able to tell the sound difference.
What I can tell is that the ride is smoother by a little bit, and in theory my break distance is shorter, as it has more grip.
I did lose tiny amount of range from it (~2-3%) but for me its a worthwhile trade-off

• Informative
Reactions: tm1v2
I moved from OEM 235/40R18 to 245/40R19, lost the foam but can't honestly tell, the main thing that I heard is wind and it overpowers all other sources of sound. Maybe on a newer Tesla with double panned glass I would be able to tell the sound difference.
What I can tell is that the ride is smoother by a little bit, and in theory my break distance is shorter, as it has more grip.
I did lose tiny amount of range from it (~2-3%) but for me its a worthwhile trade-off
For those reading the quoted post, it's worth noting that @Atraf has - I believe - a pre-2021 Model 3 from before the double pane front windows and general wind noise reduction that started around 2021. As best I can tell those changes made a significant reduction in wind noise (relatively speaking, not to luxury levels), but the Model 3 still doesn't filter road noise much, so on newer Model 3 road/tire noise generally dominates, until speeds that are into speeding ticket territory around here.

That was true for our M3P even on the stock foam-lined tires, which seemed very quiet for cruising as performance tires go (though a bit lacking for grip and oddly squeally in actual high performance driving). My next summer tires were a bit louder (but also much better performing), so that contrast became greater (tire noise generally dominating at legal / low-risk speeds).

For those reading the quoted post, it's worth noting that @Atraf has - I believe - a pre-2021 Model 3 from before the double pane front windows and general wind noise reduction that started around 2021. As best I can tell those changes made a significant reduction in wind noise (relatively speaking, not to luxury levels), but the Model 3 still doesn't filter road noise much, so on newer Model 3 road/tire noise generally dominates, until speeds that are into speeding ticket territory around here.

That was true for our M3P even on the stock foam-lined tires, which seemed very quiet for cruising as performance tires go (though a bit lacking for grip and oddly squeally in actual high performance driving). My next summer tires were a bit louder (but also much better performing), so that contrast became greater (tire noise generally dominating at legal / low-risk speeds).
Correct!
My car is an early 2020, delivered in end of 2019 with a "2020" sticker, it pre-dates the double panned glass, the model y, the heat pump and the octovalve, some by just a handful of months.
Amazing in many ways but the wind noise is subcontinental. There are numerous threads and youtube videos about ways to eliminate that noise, from using masking tape to seal gaps (for testing), jamming rubber and sponges in different places, adding sound deadening barriers, under carpet, top of wheel well, roof of trunk, under hood, adding weather seals, none of them does anything worthwhile, best you can hope for is a 5-10dBa difference.

I also drove in a bone-stock late 2022 performance model Y and the noise level difference is night and day, far dwarfing the above laundry list worth of mods, on that car it is entirely possible that a T0/T1/T2 tire will be much quieter than non-tesla specific tire, at which point perhaps the gain will be so much as to alter the scales of ride comfort + improved break distance vs noise

• Informative
Reactions: tm1v2
Hey All -

Sorry if this question (or similar) has already been addressed, been searching and scanning these threads for a while to get the answer. I have a 2018 Model 3 Performance with the 20" Sport wheels and stock size 235/35/20 PS4S's. Due to hitting a pothole a couple years ago requiring two tires to be replaced, the rears currently have a lot of tread left on them but the fronts are now needing to be replaced.

I want to step up to 255/35/20 PS4S's for the new tires, moving the rears up to the front and putting the new ones on the rear. I already have spacers; 20mm up front and 25mm on the rears, so the additional width shouldn't be an issue from what I've been reading. I might even end up switching the spacers to even out the poke a little bit if needed.

My big question though is with whether the car itself will have an issue with the new rear tires being about 2% larger in diameter than the fronts. Will this cause problems with autopilot, traction control or any of those other systems?

I don't want to have to trash these stock sized tires that still have a good amount of life left but want to get some more width, if possible. Let me know what you all think. Thanks!

Hey All -

Sorry if this question (or similar) has already been addressed, been searching and scanning these threads for a while to get the answer. I have a 2018 Model 3 Performance with the 20" Sport wheels and stock size 235/35/20 PS4S's. Due to hitting a pothole a couple years ago requiring two tires to be replaced, the rears currently have a lot of tread left on them but the fronts are now needing to be replaced.

I want to step up to 255/35/20 PS4S's for the new tires, moving the rears up to the front and putting the new ones on the rear. I already have spacers; 20mm up front and 25mm on the rears, so the additional width shouldn't be an issue from what I've been reading. I might even end up switching the spacers to even out the poke a little bit if needed.

My big question though is with whether the car itself will have an issue with the new rear tires being about 2% larger in diameter than the fronts. Will this cause problems with autopilot, traction control or any of those other systems?

I don't want to have to trash these stock sized tires that still have a good amount of life left but want to get some more width, if possible. Let me know what you all think. Thanks!
You can get a lower aspect ratio to minimize diameter difference. I think maybe 30’s? I plan to go 265/30

Hey All -

As someone has already mentioned, get the 265/30-20 Pilot Sport 4s. In that size you will not get a Tesla spec in other words no acoustic foam or slightly wider tread, but it's still a great tire and I frankly can't tell much of a difference. I have those on the front w/ Tesla spec 275/30s on the rear, and they fit without spacers on a 35 mm offset if you have stock performance rotors. We have aftermarket Racing brake rotors so the wheel was sized to 40 mm to keep scrub radius. Not a big fan of spacers but I understand the highly fashionable notion of trying to get the tires flush but you're going to significantly impact drag and scrub radius.

As someone has already mentioned, get the 265/30-20 Pilot Sport 4s. In that size you will not get a Tesla spec in other words no acoustic foam or slightly wider tread, but it's still a great tire and I frankly can't tell much of a difference. I have those on the front w/ Tesla spec 275/30s on the rear, and they fit without spacers on a 35 mm offset if you have stock performance rotors. We have aftermarket Racing brake rotors so the wheel was sized to 40 mm to keep scrub radius. Not a big fan of spacers but I understand the highly fashionable notion of trying to get the tires flush but you're going to significantly impact drag and scrub radius.
Will 265's fit OK on the 8.5" rim? Through some googling, it seems like the tire manufacturers recommend not going larger than 255's on an 8.5" rim at this sidewall height. If the 265's can fit, I'll definitely go with those. I just don't want to end up at the tire shop with them telling me they won't fit. ;)

Will 265's fit OK on the 8.5" rim? Through some googling, it seems like the tire manufacturers recommend not going larger than 255's on an 8.5" rim at this sidewall height. If the 265's can fit, I'll definitely go with those. I just don't want to end up at the tire shop with them telling me they won't fit. ;)
You probably could squeegee it on but the problem with going wider than recommended with a 30 series Tire is that you roll up the tread even more than you might otherwise because you've just got very little sidewall. I have mine mounted on 9.5 in where they sit really nicely, not stretched but just even. I think you could do a 9-in but 8.5 inches is really pushing it. Section width on that particular Tire is 10.7 in which means you are way under the section width. You taking a great tire and you're basically significantly degrading your contact patch by rolling up the tread. You'd be better off with a narrower Tire. Good news is this gives you an excuse to get some really good wheels!

Last edited: