Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Model 3 Tires, Tire Sizes, Types, make / model recommendations, tire discussions, etc

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Hi All!

I have a 2019 M3 OEM 19's with about 45,000 miles and live in SoCal. So driving is fast freeway, some bumper to bumper traffic, and hilly residential. Temp is fairly ideal for EV's.

Car came with the OEM 19" Continentals. I replaced them at 28,000 miles with an average w/hr of 278. Driving spirited but I'd say Tesla normal.

Replaced with Continental Pure Contact, not the Pro Contact which I think the car came with. I made that decision mainly for LRR and longevity in that the Pure Contact has a 700 rating and the Pro Contact has a 400 rating. The Pure Contact tires were a bit more quieter, and noticeable softer. The ride was a bit less harsh but lost a bit of the sportiness that the firmer sidewall in the Pro Contact had. Overall I thought the changes were solid and didn't feel the car was less fun to drive. The w/mi actually went up slightly to about 280. I think this is due to the tires being new and the previous average of 278 w/mi. was an average of the life of the tread of the previous tires. My experience is that when the tire has less tread, the tire is more efficient, but I could be wrong. That being said I don't think the Pure Contact tires will be any more efficient.

After about 12,000 miles I noticed that the Pure Contact tires were wearing about the same rate as the Pro Contact. That was a bit frustrating as they were supposed to last much longer. I should pause here and say that I rotate my own tires every 5,000 miles. Every other rotation I criss cross the tires as opposed to just front to back, to best rotate them for even wear.

At this point my car has lost about 5% range due to it's age and the tires are also hurting it's range in their inefficiency. I decided to make the move to EOM 18's. Picked up some 2021 take off's that were in new condition with EOM Michelins. I left the caps on them. PSI is at 45 which is what I ran the 19's at as well.

After 1000 miles the w/mi for the 18's is at 248. A 10.8% improvement! It's too early to tell about the tire swear on the 18's but I'm hoping for over 35,000.

I really like the feeling of the 18's. It's softer than the 19's but remains solid and sure footed. Perhaps it's because I'm tired of replacing tires before they are "supposed" to or it is because the car only gets "close" to it's claimed efficiency with the smallest wheel size in near perfect conditions, but I am extremely happy with my decision. I am neutral on the looks. Mainly because there are sooooo many M3's here and most are white like mine, so if I have 18's or 19's it still looks like everyone else's. lol!

If anyone is looking for OEM 19's with Continentals with 60% tread that are in excellent condition, happy to make a deal happen. Located in Orange County, CA.

I hope this helps!

John

wh/mi will improve as tires wear because the circumference of the tire decreases so you are spinning the wheels more for the same distance traveled (odometer will read farther traveled although real distance traveled will be the same). Other factors will surely be in play as well but that part is just math.

• Informative
Reactions: jebinc
I just pulled the trigger on the new winter 19" Conti Extreme Contact from Element Wheels. I vacillated between 18" and 19" but thought the 19" would be a good compromise between looks, performance and utility. I ended up getting the whole set up, rims, tires and TPMS to make life easier twice a year when I swap out sizes. Not sure how much this helps in range, if at all but I'll feel better with an all season tire and a little more sidewall for winters in the northeast.

What's the word after more miles? Thinking of going with the AS4s on my new Titan 7s but wouldn't enjoy them being louder than the Pirellis on the Ubers.
Just back from a road trip, probably 1000 miles on the tires now. I’m not sure if they are getting quieter, we’re getting used to them, maybe a bit of both, but I think we’ll keep them. They do him a little still, but finding them better overall. Seeing 285 wh/mi so far after 1000 miles. Previously saw 260 wh/mi over 17000 miles on the OEMs. So a ~10% range hit right now but others report this improving over time.

• Informative
Reactions: Boourns and P-Lo801
I need snow tires for my new Model 3 in Vermont. Tesla's website shows all winter packages out of stock, with no information about when they might be available. (I'm a bit surprised, since global car production is currently limited by chip availability, I'd expect tire capacity to be underutilized right now.)

Does anyone have info from Tesla on when their tire packages might become available? (I tried calling the store I bought my car from and the phone tree just puts me in an infinite loop.) Alternatively, does anyone know what other wheels/tires are compatible?

I’m somewhat shocked I don’t see much mention of the Falken Azenis FK510 tire on here. They appear to be the best competition to the PS4S per some YouTube comparisons.

Anyone have any experience with the tire? After 38k I’m getting close to needing tires. And the price is certainly enticing compared to the stock PS4S. I used to run Azenis 615 on my Miatas back in the day. So the brand Falken does bring a warm fuzzy feeling to me.

I have the 2021 M3 Performance w/ the Ubertine wheels. Is it possible to fit 245/45/20 or would that be too off for the computer/ give wrong speeds? I'm looking to go either 245/35/20 or 245/45. I feel like they would both rub on the interior, no? Anyone know how big of a mileage hit it would be for 245/35/20's on PS4S coming from P zeros?

I have the 2021 M3 Performance w/ the Ubertine wheels. Is it possible to fit 245/45/20 or would that be too off for the computer/ give wrong speeds? I'm looking to go either 245/35/20 or 245/45. I feel like they would both rub on the interior, no? Anyone know how big of a mileage hit it would be for 245/35/20's on PS4S coming from P zeros?
245/35/20 won’t rub; it’s the size used on the Zero-G wheels and should work fine. OTOH, 245/45/20 is not going to be mountable due to its diameter causing interference with the top of the knuckle. That one’s a for sure no-go.

Thanks. That's what I thought. 245/40/20 would be cutting it too close too probably
At 27.7” tall, I’d say not that close, meaning it would rub hard on the knuckle as well. If you want to go 245/x/20, then 35 series is your best bet. I’d personally run 255/35/20 on them, that’s the size I’m using with my 20x9.5 wheels, and a 255-width tire fits nicely on a 9” rim.

Reactions: xPETEx
Can I fit 235 55 20 on my 19’ Tesla model 3 performance? Looking at Michelin crossclimate. They don’t make them in 235 35 20. Thank you.
You should definitely try that. For reference, this is what a 235/35/20 looks like in comparison to a 235/55/20:

Attachments

• Tire.png
    Tire.png
    154.6 KB · Views: 87
At 27.7” tall, I’d say not that close, meaning it would rub hard on the knuckle as well. If you want to go 245/x/20, then 35 series is your best bet. I’d personally run 255/35/20 on them, that’s the size I’m using with my 20x9.5 wheels, and a 255-width tire fits nicely on a 9” rim.
What size are the Ubertine wheels? 20x9?
Probably leaning towards 245/35. Just seems so thin.

Looking to replace OE Contis on the 19in wheels with Michelin PS4S, stock size. Problem is there isn't a T0 designated PS4S for the 19 inch wheels. Two variants are available on Tirerack, Porsche N0 and a normal one with no manufacturer designation. Which one would work better on my P3D-? Thanks

Looking to replace OE Contis on the 19in wheels with Michelin PS4S, stock size. Problem is there isn't a T0 designated PS4S for the 19 inch wheels. Two variants are available on Tirerack, Porsche N0 and a normal one with no manufacturer designation. Which one would work better on my P3D-? Thanks
Consider the Hankook Ventus S1 evo3. It is a UHP summer tire made specifically the Model 3 19” wheels (hence T0 marked). It is a great compromise for a sporty EV. I’ve put over 11k miles on my set. Relatively quiet and efficient but with high performance tire grip.